Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Now that made me laugh. The laughing smileys don't work though..

----------

But when they come out with quad core it will be perfect, just like a 3.5" screen is perfect and just like a 4" screen is perfect...........wait, how can that be?

I want you guys to, try, and I mean TRY, to say something besides this platitude of a comment. You're like a broken record. Convince me why quad-core is innovative and vastly superior to dual-core. Read this first:

http://m.cnet.com/news/7-myths-about-quad-core-phones-smartphones-unlocked/57410518?ds=1

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I want you guys to, try, and I mean TRY, to say something besides this platitude of a comment. You're like a broken record. Convince me why quad-core is innovative and vastly superior to dual-core. Read this first:

http://m.cnet.com/news/7-myths-about-quad-core-phones-smartphones-unlocked/57410518?ds=1

I won't read your links, you talk about innovation and then when a company innovates you cant recognise it. Do you think that all the companies should stick where they are now? You really are like a broken record, all you do is regurgitate others views. You have an iPhone 5, congratulations, superb device, in fact it's the best in the world ever, happy now?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's a SOC with two quad cores at two different clock speeds, one designed for apps that need high performance and the other to conserve battery.

A lot of you guys should actually read the OP.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If you're referring to my comment, it was about Apple now making their own chips, not the chip itself. 8 cores? If our laptops don't use 8 cores, I can't see why our smartphones should.

Doesn't ARM make their chips?

Isn't Samsung making their own chip here? I don't get how your parcel out the difference to say one is innovating with their chip, and the other isn't.

You seem to be saying that because Apple never really developed their own chip before, but are now, that's innovation. I have to ask again, are you changing the definition of what innovation means for Apple's sake? Aren't chip manufacturers in general innovators too then because they are and have already been producing their own chips? Shouldn't that make the chip-maker-Samsung the innovator, while Apple is copying them?

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic; just trying to understand. No matter how I approach it, it looks to me like you're not playing a fair game. Remember, I'm not disagreeing with you, per se. Just trying to get some clarification and consistency. If you want to give Apple the title of innovator for these things, you have to give them to others too for doing the same thing. If you don't want to give it to others, you can't give it to Apple either.

At least that's how it should work.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

Isn't Samsung making their own chip here? I don't get how your parcel out the difference to say one is innovating with their chip, and the other isn't.

You seem to be saying that because Apple never really developed their own chip before, but are now, that's innovation. I have to ask again, are you changing the definition of what innovation means for Apple's sake? Aren't chip manufacturers in general innovators too then because they are and have already been producing their own chips? Shouldn't that make the chip-maker-Samsung the innovator, while Apple is copying them?

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic; just trying to understand. No matter how I approach it, it looks to me like you're not playing a fair game. Remember, I'm not disagreeing with you, per se. Just trying to get some clarification and consistency. If you want to give Apple the title of innovator for these things, you have to give them to others too for doing the same thing. If you don't want to give it to others, you can't give it to Apple either.

At least that's how it should work.

This is why innovation is so tricky. Samsung certainly innovates with chips, Apple innovates with chips by making custom designs. ARM innovates (they only make designs, not chips). Jesus, everybody does. What's your definition of innovation?

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
I told my wife paparika is not necessary for deviled eggs. She put it in anyway. It didnt take away from the goodness.

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Im saying that while things might not be necessary, they're not a bad thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Advancement in technology? Yes.

Was a "retina" display necessary? No, but it brought on advancement in smartphone screen technology.

Is going from 900 ppi to 1000 ppi advancement? If it's totally invisible to any user?

kiltedthrower

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Does that justify them?

Justify? If that's the case, let's just go back to using motorazors and early style Blackberrys. Most of the luxuries on smartphones aren't necessary. They're nice and make our lives easier sometimes but not necessary.

Was it necessary for the iPhone to add a dual core and bigger screen? If not, then was it justified. This argument reminds me of BlackBerry users looking at the games available on iPhone and saying BB didn't need to do that or have that because it wasn't necessary.

----------

A) I got it. :)
B) paprika on deviled eggs is yummy but even better on hummus!

That's because you're a smart girl. And I totally agree with you :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There is only so much you can do with a single core of a CPU, slight differences in its design and raising its clock speed before even the material it's made of can't handle the abuse from temperatures. There are materials out there that can handle it but its so difficult to work with and expensive using more cores makes more sense.

Enter multiple cores to spread the load (heat) across themselves.

Software optimization can be done on even an OS level for many task and we are still a long way off from seeing that. We are also a long way off from seeing this 8 core SoC (dual quad core) in a mobile device.

You will see Apple doing this eventually in their mobile devices you just won't here about it until it happens. Samsung unveiling a new processor at some sort of processor conference shouldn't be taken as a "take that Apple", its something that's big business for Samsung and something the specialize in.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
This is why innovation is so tricky. Samsung certainly innovates with chips, Apple innovates with chips by making custom designs. ARM innovates (they only make designs, not chips). Jesus, everybody does. What's your definition of innovation?

I agree with this statement. People attack like vultures for any new feature on iOS or Android products. I think it's great that Samsung is creating a 8 core CPU. I think it's great that HTC have created a 1080P phone display. I think it's awesome that Apple is able to pull strong performance from a dual core CPU. I think Nokia have created one of the best cameras with their pureview technology.

Why does it matter which company is pushing the envelope when ultimately all of us will benefit from it?

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
I don't get what the fuss is about. Samsung makes chips and if it doesn't research SOCs with more cores, someone else will. Devices that could use more processing power, with larger batteries -say Windows RT hybrids- can really benefit from this.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I agree with this statement. People attack like vultures for any new feature on iOS or Android products. I think it's great that Samsung is creating a 8 core CPU. I think it's great that HTC have created a 1080P phone display. I think it's awesome that Apple is able to pull strong performance from a dual core CPU. I think Nokia have created one of the best cameras with their pureview technology.

Why does it matter which company is pushing the envelope when ultimately all of us will benefit from it?

I completely agree with this. We should appreciate the technology no matter which company it comes from.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I find that the apps I use only Nexus 4 are as good as the ones I used on my iPhone.

Tapatalk
Photobucket
Sonos controler
1Password Pro (Now I have worked out how to use it:eek:)
Kindle
Flipboard
Amazon

The tapatalk app is really better (IMHO) than on iOS as it has widgets that one can use for different accounts.

I never understood why anybody needed Tapatalk. Maybe you can explain to me what it does so well that im not aware of because when i get a reply to a thread i subscribe in without Tataptalk i get an email to the response and if i want to respond or read more posts, i just click the link.

It has been a while since ive used it so maybe it is better but i wasnt real impressed with it.

As for an 8 core chip. Eh....lets see the advantage of that before i care.

Last edited:

Timzer

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011

Well personally, I want to know who's innovating and who's not. That way I know who to support with my purchase. Samsung just happens to be the only OEM that does it all in house. CPU, RAM, and display. And now they've grasped the software side of things and offered a lot of very innovative features like smart stay, pop up play, S-Beam, custom vibrations (very cool), locking video, smart alerts, direct call (I use it all the time), etc.. Samsung by far is the biggest innovator in the game right now. Touchwiz has come a very long way in only 3 short years. It is by far the best launcher that I think truly improves on stock Android. That's why money will keep going to them. Until someone comes along and out does them, I won't be moving anytime soon. Stock Android will always have it's fans, and that great. But I cannot wait to see what the GS4 brings. :eek:
I upgrade every 2 years, but if the GS4 comes out with some serious WOWness, I'll bite.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
but even better on hummus!

Pffft, I wouldn't eat hummus that didn't have it on it. :D

----------

Finally! Someone who gets it.

It really irritates me how people always comment about Apple designing/making their own chips. They do nothing of the sort.

ARM designs the CPU's, and another third party designs the GPU. All Apple do is design the integrated board these two chips go on. Then Samsung makes it for them.

Everyone else is going the heavy lifting.

"On the shoulders of giants".

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Finally! Someone who gets it.

It really irritates me how people always comment about Apple designing/making their own chips. They do nothing of the sort.

ARM designs the CPU's, and another third party designs the GPU. All Apple do is design the integrated board these two chips go on. Then Samsung makes it for them.

Everyone else is going the heavy lifting.

"On the shoulders of giants".

That's like saying Apple doesn't design and make iphones, ipods, and Macs because it uses RAM, hard drives, and LCDs made by other companies.

Apple does design and make their own chips based on the ARM architecture.

Google on the other hand doesn't make or design any of the Android phones. They just have other companies make it for them.

----------

No. ARM doesn't make their chips.

ARM designs their chips and other companies like Apple license their design to make their own ARM based chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.