Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I wish we didn't have the "Alternatives to iOS forum". It's attracting android fans - and while I know yadda yadda yadda choice is good - I don't want them here. I like iOS. I like my iOS fan community. I don't want to get sucked into their battles, I hate the new atmosphere up in this place. It's not nice nor is it fun. Android is a stolen product - I fundamentally believe it, not because "Steve said so", and this community was better without the fandroids, IMHO.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
no hate here, but a tip: don't get sucked into their battles ... That's why it's great to have the sub forum. It allows you easier to ignore it (e.g. In spy).
And if you see someone outside in the Apple world talk about Android and start battles give the mods a hint and they will relocate into the fenced area.

And sometimes, when you want to, you could even have a look and see how they are doing. Keep your mind and eyes open.

And I'm not sure if Android is stolen , it base on Linux, an OpenSource system designated to be used for own projects. You could discuss if Google and the others vendor give enough back to the community but that is OT and belongs to different sub forum.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Your complaints are some of the reasons the subforum was created in the first place ;)

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I don't know what you're talking about man!

I love the Jeep sub forum in my FJ Cruiser forum and the Playstation sub forum in my X-Box forum or the piano sub forum in my guitar forum or the cardiology sub forum in my neurology forum.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Your complaints are some of the reasons the subforum was created in the first place ;)

At some point as a site owner you have to look at the ideals that you founded your site on. This site was built to focus on Apple products as witnessed by the name and the apple motif as a logo.

I think the minute you add politics as a discussion area ..your board is going change and if you start giving voice to competitive products then you further dilute the ideals.

There are plenty of Android sites to discuss how great the upcoming 8 inch phone is going to be without Mac sites having to cater.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
At some point as a site owner you have to look at the ideals that you founded your site on. This site was built to focus on Apple products as witnessed by the name and the apple motif as a logo.

I think the minute you add politics as a discussion area ..your board is going change and if you start giving voice to competitive products then you further dilute the ideals.

There are plenty of Android sites to discuss how great the upcoming 8 inch phone is going to be without Mac sites having to cater.

Thank you!

All points have been valid - but I think you have summed up my original post in a very eloquent fashion. I think we should actually open the Android forum to long-term forum users, much like the swaplist.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Wow, that's all I have to say. I know this is an Apple forum and I have a Mac Pro and an iPod. But if you this attitude of not wanting "others" here just because it's a Apple-only forum, that's just silly and insecure IMO.

Is someone holding a gun to your head to go to the Android forum? No I don't think so. Nobody is forcing to read that. There's plenty of forums I don't care for so I just ignore them. And even if you read stuff outside of that forum, are so into Apple that you can't bare hear anything bad about them or iOS? You like iOS? That's great. I'm not being sarcastic at all, that's fine. I like Android. Works for me. Some like Windows. Some like Blackberry. Crazy huh? :D

No wonder why 'the others' think Apple users are part of cult or think Apple users come across snobby, this thread proves it.

Like or not, there are other options that some like and they think are better than Apple's offerings.

Android, Windows, and Blackberry oh my! :rolleyes:

I wish we didn't have the "Alternatives to iOS forum". It's attracting android fans - and while I know yadda yadda yadda choice is good - I don't want them here. I like iOS. I like my iOS fan community. I don't want to get sucked into their battles, I hate the new atmosphere up in this place. It's not nice nor is it fun. Android is a stolen product - I fundamentally believe it, not because "Steve said so", and this community was better without the fandroids, IMHO.

Sorry but it sounded to "humble."

Android's a nice guy, look:

"Hello."
android.jpg

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I read the Android board frequently....Whilst I'm an all Apple person, i like keeping abreast of what's going on in ALL technologies. Having a dedicated area for this is a perfectly sound idea, and it works.

I don't hate Android, the companies that make the devices or the people that use them. It's just different tech. That's all.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Yeah, but back before they had that subforum they did it all in the main iPhone forum. This is MUCH better, as you can simply choose not to visit the subforum :)

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
No Sir, I do not like it.

The non Mac user might have have had a valid reason for being after having bought an iPhone, but after ditching that and getting an Samsung Galaxy Jelly Bean Sandwich, what the €£¥% are they still here sprouting their tired worn cliches.

I say make the site only compatible for iOS and OS X browsers.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

Some of us use Apple products and devices that run Android. Sometimes I go to Android boards when I have a question that's specific to Android, but sometimes I want the opinions of my fellow Apple users at MacRumors. Having been a member here for eight years, I know the community and am interested in members' comparisons and their experiences using both platforms.

With thousands of new posts every day here, I'm sure you'll find enough to interest you. ;) Just avoid those sub-forums you're not interested in, and you'll have a good experience on MR. There's no reason to spend time and energy being irritated over something that other members value, especially when you're not required to read or participate there.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I don't understand how anyone can generate enough emotion about an electronic device to "hate".

I truly enjoy my electronic stuff, but it's just stuff. I've spent an obscene amount of money on this stuff, but I still can't get up enough emotion about them to love or hate.

I love sentient beings and, to my embarrassment, do hate certain people.That strong emotion is reserved for people who have caused pain and suffering to other humans. But to waste such strong and intense emotion on inanimate things never ceases to amaze me. They are just not that important, IMO.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't understand how anyone can generate enough emotion about an electronic device to "hate".

I truly enjoy my electronic stuff, but it's just stuff. I've spent an obscene amount of money on this stuff, but I still can't get up enough emotion about them to love or hate.

I love sentient beings and, to my embarrassment, do hate certain people.That strong emotion is reserved for people who have caused pain and suffering to other humans. But to waste such strong and intense emotion on inanimate things never ceases to amaze me. They are just not that important, IMO.

Bravo, great post. And, yes, I agree with you. 'Hate' over electronic stuff that, yes, is lovely and costs an obscene amount of money.....is ludicrous. Instead, reserve 'hate' for stuff that really matters.....

When I was a teenager, an astonishing degree of 'hate' was reserved for certain types of music, and, by extension, at their fans. These days, I shrug. Some of the time. But not all.....

Actually, a certain corrupt former Prime Minister of ours (condemned by the High Court for perjury and for having been on the take for most of his time in public life.....actually two, corrupt former Prime Ministers of ours, one of whom was the protégé of the other) ..have been objects of something approaching hate.

And, when I tell myself that I am now a fully functioning rational being......able to turn the other cheek....and refusing to rise to mild temptation, sometimes, all it takes is Kevin Costner, (whom I detest....) or someone similar.....and yes, smoke emerges from my nostrils.....and it's not caused by nicotine because that is a vice I don't have....

How ridiculous and irrational it all is......

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Bravo, great post. And, yes, I agree with you. 'Hate' over electronic stuff that, yes, is lovely and costs an obscene amount of money.....is ludicrous. Instead, reserve 'hate' for stuff that really matters.....

When I was a teenager, an astonishing degree of 'hate' was reserved for certain types of music, and, by extension, at their fans. These days, I shrug. Some of the time. But not all.....

Actually, a certain corrupt former Prime Minister of ours (condemned by the High Court for perjury and for having been on the take for most of his time in public life.....actually two, corrupt former Prime Ministers of ours, one of whom was the protégé of the other) ..have been objects of something approaching hate.

And, when I tell myself that I am now a fully functioning rational being......able to turn the other cheek....and refusing to rise to mild temptation, sometimes, all it takes is Kevin Costner, (whom I detest....) or someone similar.....and yes, smoke emerges from my nostrils.....and it's not caused by nicotine because that is a vice I don't have....

How ridiculous and irrational it all is......

And all anyone can do is to try to create some ethical order out of the irrational chaos.

No matter what others do, live one's life with principle and decency. I can only control, and be totally responsible for, my own behavior.

It's up to each of us...

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Im one of the forum members who worked with the mods to push for an Android subforum. The reason being that the iPhone forum was basically ruined with Android posts.

This setup is MUCH better, I never go into the subforum so I dont see any of it. Plus if some lost soul comes along and pops an Android thread in the iPhone forum its quickly sorted with the use of the report button.

Until the day I may decide to purchase an Android device I dont particularly want it rammed down my throat every time I come here. Setting up my mums Samsung Galaxy Ace last night (I know! but they are literally giving them away and cheap contracts, and she liked it because "it looks like an iPhone", no kidding). I cant see me switching any time soon either. Pure junk.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I wish we didn't have the "Alternatives to iOS forum". It's attracting android fans - and while I know yadda yadda yadda choice is good - I don't want them here. I like iOS.
Good for you.

I don't want to get sucked into their battles, I hate the new atmosphere up in this place.
Battles? I see 90 percent useful information in this sub-forum.

It's not nice nor is it fun.
Wrong. You hate Android. This is obvious.

Android is a stolen product
Nice try.

I fundamentally believe it
Good for you.

fandroids, IMHO.
You have no real arguments.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Im one of the forum members who worked with the mods to push for an Android subforum. The reason being that the iPhone forum was basically ruined with Android posts.

This setup is MUCH better, I never go into the subforum so I dont see any of it. Plus if some lost soul comes along and pops an Android thread in the iPhone forum its quickly sorted with the use of the report button.

Until the day I may decide to purchase an Android device I dont particularly want it rammed down my throat every time I come here.

This! I too LOVE the subforum. It makes Macrumors as a whole much more tolerable.

It was literally exhausting in the iPhone forum seeing every other thread being an Android thread. You don't see constant iPhone threads in the Android forums.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I like it.

Each time I click on the iPhone link, I always see a bunch of Android related stuff that I don't care for.

Now I dont :)

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Case and Point - the Apple and Samsung Seek to Extend Infringement Claims thread

Hey All,
Sorry for bumping this - but my case and point shows in the comments from this article. Apple and Samsung Seek to Extend Infringement Claims in Second U.S. Patent Lawsuit. Here, https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16367417 , a ton of samsung fans "ganged up" and invalidated my opinions, one by one, that sided in favor of Apple. I'd wager that 99% of these Android Fans wouldn't be here if there was no place for them to hang around.

Please - can we at least put a notice that this isn't a "hangout" for Android fans, and the "other devices" section is a "if you must talk about them - talk about them here" kind of section?

It's a negative energy that brings this place down...

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Google said:
MacRumors:Apple Mac iOS News and Rumours you care about.

Apple, Mac, iOS News and Rumors.

This is what Google search results reveal. I don't see anything about Android News and Rumours.

I can see the logic behind it I suppose as it promotes page clicks and subsquent ad revenue. Unfortunately the shills and astroturfers undoubtedly drive away people who aren't interested in venturing outside the Apple walled garden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.