Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
No, but it's horrible timing to introduce a revised iMac that has a new manufacturing process which wasn't clearly thought out. Especially since that is the Mac desktop most people will want to buy.

I hope the delays don't happen but if they do it's a shame.

There's no positive impact for a desktop computer to be 5mm at the edges or to use this new process. They picked form over function, as usual, and that's a mistake. I would rather have seen it keep the same dimensions, add the less reflective screen and allow for easy replacement of RAM and storage drives on all model sizes. Form and function is what I want to see.

The way things are going the iMac is going to become a giant thin tablet with no user replaceable parts.

+1 on the first bolded part, definitely agree to that 100%.

Had to lol at the last sentence… like the iMac has ever had much in the way of "user replaceable parts", so its just getting thinner and thinner, such a positive trait for a majority-of-the-users stationary desktop. :rolleyes:

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
like the iMac has ever had much in the way of "user replaceable parts", so its just getting thinner and thinner, such a positive trait for a majority-of-the-users stationary desktop. :rolleyes:

The iMac was already thin enough. This is absolute stupidity on the part of Apple. It really doesn't take up any less room than the current iMac or my nearly five - year -old iMac. The freeing-up-desktop-space rational really doesn't hold water, This is Apple's screw up. I just need the computer. The old design is beautiful and no one sees the back of my workspace or those of my employees' -- so Apple make your clients the priority, before we are forced to go to a Window's environment. Design over function is not that important, and this design really adds nothing to the user's ability to use their desktop more efficiently.

What is amazing is that they didn't even realize that there would be a problem in production with this line. Where was the testing and QC in the design and early prototypes???? Certainly Apple has enough money to correctly test all their pre-production models before announcing a release date. That Apple was forced to change the date to the iMac introduction is just another blunder in a series of many that has occurred in the senior-executive suite.

----------

And why in the world is MacRumors giving a green-light buy signal to the iMac when the iMac is still not out of the production phase. No one can purchase or even pre-order an iMac, but MacRumors jumped the gun with their green light.

Something is funny in the executive-backroom at MacRumors also.

WARNING: Anyone buying an iMac based on MacRumors green light is being misled. Unfortunately, you must now read the "fine print" on this site now. Shame on MacRumors for misleading Apple's customers.

Last edited:

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I'm not sure that is the case. Yeah, the diehard Apple fans will wait and buy, but Apple has created a growth monster on Wall Street. A lot of potential growth is people like me who bought their first iPhone a few years ago and suddenly have a houseful of iPhones/iPads. Now that it's time to replace some household computers, I'm wondering if it's time to go Mac as well.

But if they don't have anything to sell or issues getting things to market, I'll move on to something else. Those potential lost 'new' sales over the holiday have to be tough to swallow. Unlike phones, most people don't buy new computers/laptops every 1-2 years. Not having a key item in stock for the holidays is a gigantic issue for any company.

As someone said earlier, limited iPhone 5 production, iMac production issues, the Maps fiasco, the Podcast app fiasco, the lukewarm reception to the Mini and iOS6 hint at a bigger issue that can't be dismissed by pointing to short term sales.

Apple's recent growth was fueled by building exceptional products. There seems to be a slow erosion of that foundation. While the diehards will always be loyal, the sustainability of Apple's success relies on winning and keeping a more fickle and demanding general customer base.

I have an iMac but I don't think I would recommend one to someone else. It's been in the shop twice during the first year. They replaced the power supply and motherboard. I was so afraid it would break again I ended up buying $170 apple care. I've never bought extra insurance for any of the computers I've ever purchased before because they didn't break. Now I want a solid state drive in it but there's no way for me to get install it. If you buy one upfront from apple they charge you 3-4 times more than you would pay if you could buy it later and install it yourself.
Lately it's been freezing during time maching backups, ML 10.8.2. So I've been using my old Hp with windows 8 that I got a few year ago and it's been great. I didn't think I'd ever go back to pcs but I might.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The iMac was already thin enough. This is absolute stupidity on the part of Apple. It really doesn't take up any less room than the current iMac or my nearly five - year -old iMac. The freeing-up-desktop-space rational really doesn't hold water, This is Apple's screw up. I just need the computer.

Kind of moot now though isn't it?

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
The iMac was already thin enough. This is absolute stupidity on the part of Apple. It really doesn't take up any less room than the current iMac or my nearly five - year -old iMac. The freeing-up-desktop-space rational really doesn't hold water, This is Apple's screw up. I just need the computer. The old design is beautiful and no one sees the back of my workspace or those of my employees' -- so Apple make your clients the priority, before we are forced to go to a Window's environment. Design over function is not that important, and this design really adds nothing to the user's ability to use their desktop more efficiently.

What is amazing is that they didn't even realize that there would be a problem in production with this line. Where was the testing and QC in the design and early prototypes???? Certainly Apple has enough money to correctly test all their pre-production models before announcing a release date. That Apple was forced to change the date to the iMac introduction is just another blunder in a series of many that has occurred in the senior-executive suite.

----------

And why in the world is MacRumors giving a green-light buy signal to the iMac when the iMac is still not out of the production phase. No one can purchase or even pre-order an iMac, but MacRumors jumped the gun with their green light.

Something is funny in the executive-backroom at MacRumors also.

WARNING: Anyone buying an iMac based on MacRumors green light is being misled. Unfortunately, you must now read the "fine print" on this site now. Shame on MacRumors for misleading Apple's customers.

Just to clarify - I am in the camp that believes that a desktop computer, esp. an "all-in-one" design, does NOT need to be this thin. While I do admire and appreciate nice looking machines, given the choice for a tool to perform per my needs, I would much rather have function over form.

And as to their recent production woes - again, agreed… I'm a Quality Manager, and there is no excuse to be releasing products (s/w and h/w) not better tested. Apple used to be very reliable.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Just to clarify - I am in the camp that believes that a desktop computer, esp. an "all-in-one" design, does NOT need to be this thin. While I do admire and appreciate nice looking machines, given the choice for a tool to perform per my needs, I would much rather have function over form.

And as to their recent production woes - again, agreed… I'm a Quality Manager, and there is no excuse to be releasing products (s/w and h/w) not better tested. Apple used to be very reliable.

Better testing (and more testers) would mean greater potential for leaks, and we can't know what we're about to blow a small fortune on in advance now, can we? :D

Agreed on the form/function perspective. Thinness would be appreciated if it were an ASUS Transformer, though it would become thicker and heavier with a battery... I would love to litter my house with clingo products and mount that 27" sucker all over the place.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
Then it wouldn't be an "All in One"

Bikinis are better than onesies.
Of course, only if they're both housing well made, useful things.

If, for example, Apple released their own small box with a CD drive and space for 2-4 hot-swappable drives w/ RAID options, or discrete graphics....THEN they could embrace their recent All in Two (or more) design policy.

mdelaney123

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2004
4 Days...

Well, only 4 days left in November. Lets have it Apple. Tuesday or Wednesday?

I hope the put the 27" up for preorder the same time as the 24"...

ryedarrow

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Wow! Thats surprised me. Running FCP X! Do you have any other experience running Aperature or Lightroom on that mini?? I may have to look at it instead of the iMac. I am really not that keen on the new iMac thinness. and TB Drive attached to it may just prove its all I need running to a 30" Dell monitor.

I cant help feel that the failure rate of these is gonna be super high because of its form factor. Would have preferred the old factor and a Desktop GPU tbh whilst getting rid of the Superdrive of course. Gonna hit YouTube see if I can dig up some vids running Aperture. Thanks for that little confidence boost in the mini!

No prob, Aperature and iPhoto (huge libraries) are working 10x better than expected. The combination of the fusion + 16GB ram + quad-core is more than making up for the lack of discrete GPU. (for what I am doing at least).

It not a Pro replacement, rather a Pro alternative.

----------

I'm calling this plan B ;)

HAHAHA! Yes, it was my plan B too. I bought the mini hoping it would be enough and planned to sell it when the Pro comes out next year. (The re-sell on the mini's is great).

Now that I have it, I'm keeping it. If the pro does ever come out, it will be $2,500. I'm fine with the speed I'm getting in FCP X and will save the $1,500 premium...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.