Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Hi all

In a recent thread we were discussing AT&T members getting facetime with LTE devices and tiered plans. However I noticed today that I have facetime over cellular and I have an unlimited plan on my 5.

I just turned off my other phone, a 4S and turned it back on, only to find the switch flipped to ON for facetime over cellular. Both phones work perfectly over cellular.

I also checked a few coworkers phones, all now have FT over cellular.

If you have ATT, turn your phone off and back on and report back if you now have FT over cellular.

Edit:

This story has now been picked up by all major tech blogs. Props to Gizmodo for being the only one (other than MR) to mention me by name. First class journalism right there.

Last edited:

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
maybe it's affecting customers in different areas. I'm located in NY.. roll out is gradually taking place

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Still no go for me :(. On the 4GB hotspot plan with LTE.

d88WR.png

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I got it! And I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T. I'm going to go use it and see if it actually works! :D

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I got it! And I'm on the unlimited data plan with AT&T. I'm going to go use it and see if it actually works! :D

Awesome.

Looks like its hit or miss. THose who dont have it, wait a day or so and try again.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Awesome.

Looks like its hit or miss. THose who dont have it, wait a day or so and try again.

Hmm when I looked back at my settings, it got turned off. When I turned it back on, I got the pop up and instead of going to "cancel" or "go to website" I decided to reset my iPhone 5 with the Facetime toggle still on in the background, when it booted up, I immediately placed a facetime call with my mom, and sure enough I was facetiming on LTE. :D

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Hmm when I looked back at my settings, it got turned off. When I turned it back on, I got the pop up and instead of going to "cancel" or "go to website" I decided to reset my iPhone 5 with the Facetime toggle still on in the background, when it booted up, I immediately placed a facetime call with my mom, and sure enough I was facetiming on LTE. :D

Interesting method

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Tried this method and it still switched to off upon rebooting.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I'm in upstate NY, not sure if it makes a difference but I'm on a 3GB tiered plan on an iPhone 5 6.0.1. I'm tempted to try resetting network settings and rebooting again.

Being on a tiered plan, you should have already been able to use FT over cellular

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
When you look at your setting again, is it switched to on or off even with FT working?

I've attached some screenshots to show you that's still on and I can make a Facetime call on my unlimited data plan. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 488
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.