Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Hell, most of the time, I had to...like...go outside and crap, because there was rarely anything on TV. It was horrible.

When I read the first half of your first sentence, I thought you meant that you didn't have indoor plumbing. :D

Renzatic

Suspended
I went into the Microsoft store and played with a Surface and with a laptop running Windows 8. Those operating systems, RT & 8, are unbelievably cumbersome an unintuitive. At least the devices were responsive. I also recently played with a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch tablet and though easy to navigate, it was horrible to use. Most Apps were laggy, the scrolling jerky, and the overall performance slow. Compared to an iPad or iPad mini, ...well there is no comparison. If people have the ability to actually use these devices, Apple will sell even more than the survey indicates.

Read: I went into a store and swiped my finger across the screen 3 or 4 times before declaring them crap, and running back to my iPad.

----------

When I read the first half of your first sentence, I thought you meant that you didn't have indoor plumbing. :D

There was that, too. :p

...sigh. I miss that old outhouse.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Can kids 6-12 years really understand the differences between these...

iPhone: 33%
vs
Smartphone other than iPhone: 20%
Android smartphone: 16%
Other Mobile Phone: 8%

Yeah. They play with their parents' and can figure it out by themselves. Where the super customizable other phones are more complicated so they are not interested.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
People want WiiU more than the iPhone? Madness, in a good way! It'll be interesting to see how the WiiU performs. It's basically disrupting tablet gaming, Harmony remotes as well as the usual console gaming market. If anyone can innovate and disrupt (touchscreen, gyroscopes in games etc) it's Nintendo.

And I rather like my iPad too. Already owning one and not a WiiU (released next week here) I'd have to swap the top 2 positions around.

A shame the Vita is so low. Right now it's my most played console - just a huge wealth of a alegacy library, emulated (PS1) library and some very high quality Vita developed games.

Keep in mind the age group is 6-13. They know they are not getting an iPhone.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
According to a survey done by Nielsen, U.S. consumers aged 6-12 are significantly more interested in purchasing Apple's iOS products over the next 6 months. The new Nintendo Wii U took the #2 spot, but lagged well behind the iPad. Meanwhile, the iPod Touch, iPad Mini and the iPhone rounded out the rest of the top 5 most wanted products for this age group.

In a related survey conducted by psychic mediums from the SciFi Channel's paranormal shows, deceased US customers also expressed significant interest in purchasing Apple's iOS products over the next 6 months. Returning to their physical bodies took the #2 spot on the dead's wish list, but lagged well behind the iPad Mini. Being "shown the light" so they could move on, the new iPod Nano, and haunting owners of Android products rounded out the top 5. Only two particularly forlorn ghosts surveyed wanted a Microsoft Surface.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
When I was a kid, we were happy to get a bowl of soup and a piece of hard candy.

Now kids are so fat they can barely leave the house and all they want are things that will insure that they remain fat.

You had Soup AND Hard Candy? Wow, what's that like? We had to live in the lake.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I'm amazed the PS3 remains so high, this far into its life cycle.

I never will get that one. P3 and the 360 have been out 6 and 7 years now, I just find it so freaking weird people just now waltz in a store and take the plunge. Price points have been relatively the same for the past 3 years on each, I guess they have random tickets to buy in a certain month of a certain year I am not aware of.

Awesome times for us that like consoles now having to wait near 10 years. Games being cheaper this far in does not hold water, gamefly over the course of a year would pretty much be as cheap, and if someone is that strapped for cash maybe they should re-evaluate their living situation or calm down on the bar bills.

I want to be more clear. That is over 2k days of knowing a system has been out and just getting around to it now..... yup. Black Friday will show how smurt people are trampling each other for horrible laptops and crap TV's to save that couple hundred on a deal they could have gotten numerous times over the year, so I guess it makes sense.

ADD: Android stuff not near the top, seems to prove the net nerds circle jerking of google anything doesn't mean a thing. 1% engadget/youtube commentors, deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through.

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.

I hope you're aware that the 12-15 age group is a $30 billion/year market. And that's not their parent's money, that's their money. They also have "direct influence" over $150 Billion/year.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm actually surprised that the iPad Mini is only desired by 8% of prospective adult tablet buyers. That seems very low to me.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Um - you realize in the 6-7 years that both have been on the market there are kids just now getting to the age that parents would get them these devices. Also - the PS3 is arguably the best blu-ray player on the market

Also - machines die. They also have had a few iterations. It's really not surprising

And Coltman - the top survey was 6-12. You are talking 12-15. So your data is pretty irrelevant to the conversation - wouldn't you say? I know you wanted to show off your mad demographic skills and sarcasm. But I think you failed...

I never will get that one. P3 and the 360 have been out 6 and 7 years now, I just find it so freaking weird people just now waltz in a store and take the plunge. Price points have been relatively the same for the past 3 years on each, I guess they have random tickets to buy in a certain month of a certain year I am not aware of.

Awesome times for us that like consoles now having to wait near 10 years. Games being cheaper this far in does not hold water, gamefly over the course of a year would pretty much be as cheap, and if someone is that strapped for cash maybe they should re-evaluate their living situation or calm down on the bar bills.

I want to be more clear. That is over 2k days of knowing a system has been out and just getting around to it now..... yup. Black Friday will show how smurt people are, so I guess it makes sense.

I hope you're aware that the 12-15 age group is a $30 billion/year market. And that's not their parent's money, that's their money. They also have "direct influence" over $150 Billion/year.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Um - you realize in the 6-7 years that both have been on the market there are kids just now getting to the age that parents would get them these devices. Also - the PS3 is arguably the best blu-ray player on the market

Also - machines die. They also have had a few iterations. It's really not surprising

And Coltman - the top survey was 6-12. You are talking 12-15. So your data is pretty irrelevant to the conversation - wouldn't you say? I know you wanted to show off your mad demographic skills and sarcasm. But I think you failed...

Dude common sense says that out of the couple million that will be sold for each system that a lot are just taking the plunge. Some are re-buys and yes some kids got old enough since the systems have been out forever. PS3 has long been surpassed as best blu ray player since 09 I believe. Still decent at playing teh boo rays, but not the best anymore nor cheapest.

I find it pretty odd, but the P2 was like as well so yeah maybe not shocking afterall.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

It's because they're very well optimised now, they do a lot, have vast libraries of incredible games, etc.

I only bought a PS3 last year and an Xbox a year before that (but barely use). This year I bought a PS3 for my parents and brother because it's a bluray player, great DVD upscaler, supports iPlayer, videos and photos off USB drives, and that's not even including the games. £160 for the best bluray, iPlayer etc device is a steal.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Microsoft Surface doesn't look to good near the bottom at 6%. Oh dear.

To be fair, it was only introduced just recently.

When I was a kid, we were happy to get a bowl of soup and a piece of hard candy. Now kids are so fat they can barely leave the house and all they want are things that will insure that they remain fat.

More often than not, regrettably true.

I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list? Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through. I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one. The adult survey has more relevance.

Still, this has to be good news for APPLE, because they are the consumers of the future; also the little darlings know how to manipulate their parents to receive one at birthdays or under the tree, etc.

Ask McDonald's or for that matter, any tobacco company, about the power of hooking children at an early age.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
It's because they're very well optimised now, they do a lot, have vast libraries of incredible games, etc.

I only bought a PS3 last year and an Xbox a year before that (but barely use). This year I bought a PS3 for my parents and brother because it's a bluray player, great DVD upscaler, supports iPlayer, videos and photos off USB drives, and that's not even including the games. £160 for the best bluray, iPlayer etc device is a steal.

Sony's online software is kind of bad, no way around that. Updates and installs are very tedious. I remember Uncharted 2 taking near 1 hour to do all the updating before I could play it. Hirai acknowledged Sony's software has been lackluster on all fronts.

I know some will buy it now even after this long, the volume to me is just strange. This far in I would think they would push 500k around christmas instead of the 1.2 or so they will push. As a media player and Blu ray and some good games to boot it is a nice buy, it's just the volume staying so high kind of stinks for us that want progress a little faster in the console market.

I miss the 5-6 year cycles instead of what we have now, but it's the way of things I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.