Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
How does the refarming work? There is a very small part of the Raleigh area which now gets 3g/4g speeds. I just assumed the rest of the area would follow shortly, but it hasn't.

Don't they work on one area until it's done before they move elsewhere. I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject so I'm curious how it works.

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
How does the refarming work? There is a very small part of the Raleigh area which now gets 3g/4g speeds. I just assumed the rest of the area would follow shortly, but it hasn't.

Don't they work on one area until it's done before they move elsewhere. I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject so I'm curious how it works.

I have no idea how they're doing it, but here in NYC you can get 3G service in one spot, move over 2 blocks, switch towers, and be back on Edge. I have no idea why they would not just switch over all towers in an area to the new spectrum.

sanches12

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
*keeps fingers crossed that we $6/month T-Mobile Web unlimited EDGE users get grandfathered in* :D

I just called T-Mobile customer service and she said my $10 unlimited EDGE plan (aka web plus) will get 5GB of 3G speed data and then throttle down beyond that with my iPhone. I'm still skeptical because I heard if you try to use a T-Mobile issued smart phone on my unlimited EDGE plan they automatically switch you to a "smart phone plan." I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Garen

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Los Angeles Area
Glendale and La Crescenta CA has 3G but it keeps disappearing most of the time even when I'm not moving. When connected I get 2 to 6.5 down and 1 to 3 up. I wonder why this back and forth switch to Edge.

Garen

odysseus

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
3G in Austin, TX!

I just noticed that I have a 3G connection to T-Mobile in Austin. Woohoo! 7.88 Mbps down / 3.58 Mbps up!

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Ok, I was able to fix the problem for the reason why I was not able to get a speetest in Miami's tmobile network on 3G. I had to reset the network settings completely and then it worked.

As soon as I go out off my house, I'll be able to run a full 3G speedtest on post it on MR.

Again, in Miami, Florida 3G is live with tmobile on iphones :)

Legacy Wealth

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I live in Gaithersburg..and step out my house there is edge...sometimes it flashed 3g....drive a block up and I get 3g...went to bethesda mall and strong 3g from there and conneticut ave area... so it must be coming strong soon..also got it in silver spring area.... bowie is edge...hope this helps..but it flashed 3g periodically

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Ok I ran my first official 3G speedtest in Miami, FL. A little slow compared to you other guys, but then again is not official yet.
avume7ym.jpg

V

vonpod

3G in Manhattan iPhone 4s

Picking up strong 3G signal on 8th, 9th and 10th avenues from around 55th and north, haven't tested how far north though, healthy signal in the 60's and 70's. I do know it fades out around 54th st.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Picking up strong 3G signal on 8th, 9th and 10th avenues from around 55th and north, haven't tested how far north though, healthy signal in the 60's and 70's. I do know it fades out around 54th st.

This does not help anyone.... No one knows where you are talking about

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Tmobile just announced 10 more markets as being officially refarmed with 1900mhz 3G/4G for the iPhone.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/11/t-mobile-lights-up-10-more-modernized-markets-brings-total-to-15/

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Tmobile just announced 10 more markets as being officially refarmed with 1900mhz 3G/4G for the iPhone.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/11/t-mobile-lights-up-10-more-modernized-markets-brings-total-to-15/

I was in a T-Mobile store in Tampa yesterday and the manager said that they should be starting work in the Tampa area once they finish up in south Florida. She estimated that it would be sometime in the first quarter of 2013 that we should see their 3G speeds on the iPhone.

damie45

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Quick question, i'm sure it was answered already but my search didnt give me a solid answer. If I bring my unlock iphone to tmo, do I have to sign a 2 year contract?

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Quick question, i'm sure it was answered already but my search didnt give me a solid answer. If I bring my unlock iphone to tmo, do I have to sign a 2 year contract?
I think it depends on the plan. To get the best deal on one of their Value Plans you do have to sign a 2 year contract.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Not if you do their prepaid 'Monthly 4G' plans.
They're
$50 for 100MB of 4G
$60 for 2GB
$70 for 5GB

All with unlimited talk an text and throttled if you go over your data allowance.

If you want their fully unlimited data plan then you have to sign a 2 year contract on their Value plan.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I personally would love to use T-Mobile but I feel Straight Talk is a much better value for me...$45/month Unlimited All (Data Cap is 3GB I know...I have used it before and never went over with care). If I went T-Mobile I would have to get their $60 plan at minimum....Is there anyone that recently moved from ST to T-Mobile in Chicago (mainly concered around Lake Meadow, Edgewater Prairie Shore)?

----------

Not if you do their prepaid 'Monthly 4G' plans.
They're
$50 for 100MB of 4G
$60 for 2GB
$70 for 5GB

All with unlimited talk an text and throttled if you go over your data allowance.

If you want their fully unlimited data plan then you have to sign a 2 year contract on their Value plan.

Also Wouldnt we all be just fine with the $50 plan? I mean its 100MB 4G...iPhone is not going to be on their "4G" Network...its going to be on their "3G" network only...so even after 100MB we would be surfing on their 3G network no?

On side note anyone with Simple Mobile getting 3G on their iPhone? because their plans are better....$50 Unlimited 4G Data or even the $40 Unlimited Plan with 250MB 4G Data...Which I assume will step down to "3G" once its up.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Also Wouldnt we all be just fine with the $50 plan? I mean its 100MB 4G...iPhone is not going to be on their "4G" Network...its going to be on their "3G" network only...so even after 100MB we would be surfing on their 3G network no?

Nope, T-Mobile will completely slow you down after reaching past your limit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.