Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I'm seriously considering getting my 4 year old son an iPad. I'm an over-indulgent father, but I guess there are worse things in this world.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
When I was a kid, we were happy to get a bowl of soup and a piece of hard candy.

Now kids are so fat they can barely leave the house and all they want are things that will insure that they remain fat.

Your parents actually gave you those things?

I remember we had to walk barefoot in the snow just to stare at the candy store. One year we recycled enough Coke cans to get a piece each. My 8-year-old sister, who was pregnant at the time, dropped that piece of candy and it fell through our house's floorboards, only to be eaten by the chickens.

Lanarae

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
My 5 years old grandson wants an iPad for Christmas. A couple a weeks ago his parents bought him a tablet from Big Lots figuring he would like it and not ask to borrow theirs. Not happening, LOL. My son says it's a constant battle over the iPad. He does have leapfrog, but prefers the iPad.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm seriously considering getting my 4 year old son an iPad. I'm an over-indulgent father, but I guess there are worse things in this world.

Don't listen to all these people saying that people buying their kids iPads are bad parents. They're just being internet edgy, or aren't capable of any forward thinking.

My mom and dad got me a computer when I was about 5. It was my first introduction to the wide, wonderful world of technology. You buying your kid an iPad would be the modern equivalent of what my parents did for me.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I was thinking the same thing.

You are thinking wrong thing, or have simply forgotten a certain company that had the most desirable electronics for kids during the 80's and early 90's, and by no means where they cheap either. Analysts said Nintendo had products in nearly 30% of all American households at it's peak.

On a side note, both my 3 year old and 4 year old will be getting iPod Touches for Christmas.

gbx.png

Nintendo-NES_360.jpg

super_nintendo_misc_box1.jpg

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

I remember we had to walk barefoot in the snow just to stare at the candy store. One year we recycled enough Coke cans to get a piece each. My 8-year-old sister, who was pregnant at the time, dropped that piece of candy and it fell through our house's floorboards, only to be eaten by the chickens.

Yeah, the only "hard candy" my parents gave me for Christmas was a piece of dirty ice broken off the top of the cardboard box we all lived in. And soup? Maybe once every other year, but only if it was rock soup, and only because I hunted down the rocks myself.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through.

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.

Except, parents buy what their children want....... providing they can afford to. ;)

----------

Wouldn't the iPad Mini be more appropriate for a small child? ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not by a long shot. Goto oppo.com for the best blu-ray player

Dude common sense says that out of the couple million that will be sold for each system that a lot are just taking the plunge. Some are re-buys and yes some kids got old enough since the systems have been out forever. PS3 has long been surpassed as best blu ray player since 09 I believe. Still decent at playing teh boo rays, but not the best anymore nor cheapest.

I find it pretty odd, but the P2 was like as well so yeah maybe not shocking afterall.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397234,00.asp

I know only two sources. The OPPO gets high marks too.

I never said it was the best. I said it was arguably the best. It's definitely a popular purchase for those wanting blu-ray playback - especially since it's a multi-functional device (i.e. plays games, streams media, etc)

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
...mom and dad also bought me one of those. Took me two years of begging before I got it, too. :p

I actually remember the release of Gameboy in 1990. It was nuts. Just as crazy as an Apple launch today.

Though, I was too busy with my Sega Genesis to care at the time :) and yes I begged like a maniac for it.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Remember the days...

Remember the days when all you wanted for XMas was that season's new Hess Truck?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Don't listen to all these people saying that people buying their kids iPads are bad parents. They're just being internet edgy, or aren't capable of any forward thinking.

My mom and dad got me a computer when I was about 5. It was my first introduction to the wide, wonderful world of technology. You buying your kid an iPad would be the modern equivalent of what my parents did for me.

Yeah - but look what happened to you ;) ;) ;)

----------

I actually remember the release of Gameboy in 1990. It was nuts. Just as crazy as an Apple launch today.

Though, I was too busy with my Sega Genesis to care at the time :) and yes I begged like a maniac for it.

Well that dates you ;) You 'actually' remember the release of a product in 1990. Wow ;)

And I guess I'll take it as a compliment that you loved your Sega Genesis. I worked on the launch of that product. You make a lot of friends really quickly when you have about 500 of them to give away through various promotions. Somewhere I still have mine and a ton of cartridges. It was a fun machine.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

how much for 1 rib?

Renzatic

Suspended

No surprise. I mean comeon. You could play a nearly proper game of Mario...Anywhere. That was a big deal back when the previous height of portable gaming were those cheesy Tiger Electronic LCD dealies.

Though, I was too busy with my Sega Genesis to care at the time :)

Bah. It's all about the Super Nintendo. Doesn't matter that Mortal Kombat didn't have any blood in it, the graphics were still closer to the arcade than the crappy Genesis version. :p

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Its a shame people think these days that a limited device such as the ipad is the equivalent of a computer :(

Specially for kids that will only play angry birds or random games.

I got my first computer when I was 12.

Before that - I loved the Radio Shack 101 (or whatever) electronic projects device they sold where you could make everything from a morse code generator to radio to lie detector, etc.

I also loved Heathkits.

That's just how I rolled.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
You wanna know what it was like growing up back in the stone age? I'll tell you.

For the first 11 years of my life, our TV only got THREE CHANNELS! On a clear day, we could sometimes get a 4th over UHF.

Hell, most of the time, I had to...like...go outside and crap, because there was rarely anything on TV. It was horrible.

I have you beat. I grew up in India and got our first TV (a 13 inch black and white) when I was 11 (in 1984) for the Los Angeles olympics. We got one channel! That's it. Doordarshan - it was called. When I was 14 or 15, we got a 20" color TV. Still only one channel!

tb5

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Samsung SIII peaked?

interesting about the survey is that 20% want a smartphone other then an iphone and 16% an android phone. the difference between these pretty much corresponds to the recent sales numbers for windows phone and rim

it also shows that microsoft and rim will not gain any market share in the near future and if the kids are "the future", which tends to happen, also not in the long term, unless they change something significantly

also it specifically list the galaxy note and tab, but not even the sIII, does nobody want it anymore or was it not included in the questionnaire?

but anyhow, i have the feeling the demand for the sIII has probably peaked and this has not much to do with the survey.

why? it is for sure not a bad phone at all, but the advertisement made it the greatest phone out there. people tend basically to believe it, otherwise advertisement would not work. they will buy it, try it and then they are satisfied or not. then word of mouth spreads. if you are good you gain market share, if not you will loose and prices for 2hand will fall or rise...

i am really curious about how it will turn out in the future, starting in 2013.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I never said it was the best. I said it was arguably the best. It's definitely a popular purchase for those wanting blu-ray playback - especially since it's a multi-functional device (i.e. plays games, streams media, etc)

You did put arguably so my fault, and since I prefer the P3 as my player then we are in agreement there. Just hope we get the damn 720 and P4 next year. It's time...yes it is time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Bah. It's all about the Super Nintendo. Doesn't matter that Mortal Kombat didn't have any blood in it, the graphics were still closer to the arcade than the crappy Genesis version. :p

Those would be fighting words 20 years ago, but as an adult now I can admit SNES had many "advantages". However Sonic still > than Mario.

It does however prove my point in saying we had our expensive electronic toys even when Ronald Reagan was President. This is not some millennial phenomena.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Man, Gameboy and Sega Genesis... The awesome part of all those years was that it was during the time when my mom was an assistant manager at Blockbuster - The perks being five free rentals a week. Pretty much was able to play every single game that they carried. Went in there every week and grabbed whatever I wanted. I only bought less than 5 games in total because of that.

And then when they stopped carrying the Genesis titles in favor of Dreamcast, IT WAS ALLLLLL MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE! Have those cartridges all over the house still. :D

And, like, if they forgot to add something to inventory, it was basically for whoever to take home. Miss those days of free VHS/DVDs, games, popcorn, candy, etc.

THAT is being spoiled right there, more satisfying than pirating.

And yeah, my brother actually told me he wanted the Kindle Fire HD. He's played with both my Kindle Fire and iPad Mini too. I think putting these in people's hands make a huge difference. My dad uses an iPhone 4, but now after I gave him the Kindle after I upgraded to the Mini, he told me the other day, "Yeah, now I can't even use the iPhone because it's so small compared to this!" He really likes it.

And heck yeah, Sonic > Mario everytime. Mario is so kiddish in 3D while the hedgehog still has it in him.

Renzatic

Suspended
I have you beat. I grew up in India and got our first TV (a 13 inch black and white) when I was 11 (in 1984) for the Los Angeles olympics. We got one channel! That's it. Doordarshan - it was called. When I was 14 or 15, we got a 20" color TV. Still only one channel!

Yeah, you might. We at least had one of those large (at the time) woody console TV's to watch my three channels on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.