Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

stolenphone-500x161.jpg
Last December, an apparent bug appeared in Apple's iMessage service that caused iMessages to continue to be linked to a stolen iPhone. The customer's messages would continue to arrive and be sent from the stolen phone even after changing passwords, a remote wipe, and a SIM card deactivation. Apple initially denied it was a bug, but did later compensate at least one affected user for her trouble.

TheNextWeb now reports that that iOS 6 resolves this issue by forcing all devices to re-enter credentials if your Apple ID settings change.
According to a source with knowledge of Apple's steps to correct the matter, the issue has been fixed in iOS 6 through a variety of checks placed on iMessage. The most important of these is that Apple now uses its push systems to force a user to re-enter a password to use iMessage once your Apple ID credentials have been changed.
Now, if your iPhone is stolen, simply changing the password of your Apple ID will force the stolen device to prompt for a password in order to continue receiving and sending iMessages from your account. In addition, wiping your iPhone remotely using Find My iPhone will now disable the stolen device from receiving iMessages.

Article Link: iOS 6 Fixes iMessage "Bug" that Sends Texts to Stolen iPhones

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Yes, and this check also happens if one of my devices just so happens to lose it's internet connection. It's kinda annoying too. :p

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Apple's security features are second to none. Google can't do anything like this. Not even close.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
It'd be nice if they fixed the bug where it says “delivered” when it hasn't actually shown up on the recipients device.

dannyhex

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
NY
pretty nifty if you ask me. i remember back in the day if you lost your phone you worried about who had access to it. now you just remote wipe the thing and boom. problem solved.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
hahaha....... opps

This must be the biggest blunder in history.... not to mention taking 1 year to deal with this.. You would of thought after a few days, a few bright sparks at Apple would have known this and fixed this quickly.

Come on...

Can you honesty say Apple is still secure ? Nope.

This is becoming more and more like that constant 0-day Java exploit.:rolleyes:

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Stubborn Apple, they need to change this attitude - at least now when everyone is a bit sick of them overall...

eicarr

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
Great News for thieves

I'm glad this make life easier for people including, those who steal iphones. But I would like it if I could press a button to blacklist any carrier from ever using my stolen iphone again, or a button that can turn my stolen iPhone into a brick.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My solution was simpler. I kept my iPhone in a locked vault guarded by a pack of snarling dogs. I never took it out so it couldn't be stolen and nobody could get my iMessages. Too bad I had to live in the vault so I could use my phone. I just didn't expect Apple to take so long to fix this, so I haven't seen the sun in 11 months. :blinks:

Seriously, I wonder how many of those 11 months were spent deciding whether or not to deal with this problem, how many deciding what to do about it, how many implementing the solution, and how many months afterwards to get it into releasable form.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
It'd be nice if they fixed the bug where it says “delivered” when it hasn't actually shown up on the recipients device.
Yep, it happens when you send an iMessage to someone from device A. It will not say delivered on the new message until the person actually receives it. But on your device B, it will say delivered right away.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm glad this make life easier for people including, those who steal iphones. But I would like it if I could press a button to blacklist any carrier from ever using my stolen iphone again, or a button that can turn my stolen iPhone into a brick.
Would you want someone who gains access to your iCloud account (easy, just need your password; no two-step verification process to get through) to be able to turn your iPhone into a brick? To blacklist it forever?

Being able to remotely wipe it already is bad enough.

You could try making your password longer and more secure, but it's the same password you have to enter every day when you buy songs or apps, or even to open Find Friends app.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
If the issue is logins for multiple services, have a login after stolen or wipes at an Apple server that enables all default features with cloud preferences.

Earth to Apple, please come in.

Your iDevice has been stolen and we have identified the location of the perps. What do you want to do?

1. Go there personally and kick their a$$.
2. Call the police and report it.
3. The police suck, call my cousin Sam and tell him to hold the forgiveness.
4. Send three hot chicks over to persuade them to cough it up.
5. Stop diddling. Send the Russian Mafia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.