Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Hummers are more powerful than most every car on the road, are they an advanced or somehow better car?
Hummers (the street legal versions) are also lousy off-road vehicles, much like a 5" smartphone is a crappy phone. But if you don't use it much for a phone, it can be pretty cool.

I use my iPhone as a 'phone' about 2% of the time, so I'll take a larger screen anytime, because using it for web browsing, watching movies, reading books and/or games is a joke. 4.8" is about my limit though.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I don't own an iPad.

And I said bigger screen, not higher resolution screen. If, say, a screen was already large enough (possibly an iPad, definitely a 40"+ TV) then increasing resolution WOULD be an advancement, but only to a point.

I use my iPhone within a foot of my face. There's a limit as to what the human eye can detect, so after a while, increased resolution becomes pointless.

Answer the question, don't ridicule, please. And did you really come on MACRUMORS surprised to find Apple fans?

i know and your point isnt that an ipad 2 without retina going to the ipad 3 with retina ISNT an upgrade..your point is that an iphone with already retina resolution..to a greater resolution isnt exactly needed..

----------

So you are saying the ipad 3 was not hyped as an advance over the ipad 2, with its new "retina" screen?

Oh apple fan people, how your selective memory makes me smile :)

---

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hummers (the street legal versions) are also lousy off-road vehicles, much like a 5" smartphone is a crappy phone. But if you don't use it much for a phone, it can be pretty cool.

I use my iPhone as a 'phone' about 2% of the time, so I'll take a larger screen anytime, because using it for web browsing, watching movies, reading books and/or games is a joke. 4.8" is about my limit though.

Yes. I don't think that 3.5 or 4" is necessarily the perfect size, only that ever-increasing screen sizes aren't good just because they're bigger.

I like that I can fit my phone in my pocket and my thumb can reach all the way across.

I use my phone as a phone rarely, and far more often for communicating via text, twitter, facebook, email, etc. Reading is second (instapaper, reeder, etc.)

Games are third, as is most web browsing that's not text based.

But I'm likely a minority in that I hate watching video on the thing, but video on the internet is annoying, too. I have a nice LED TV for that.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

i can prolly dig a 4.5" phone.. but tbh i have an ipad.. so most my needs for a larger screen are filled by that.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
it's going to be strange when a 1080p screen is mainstream on android

...but the iphone cant even reach 720p

not sure how apple are going to wriggle out of that one. They started the PPI craze and android are going to absolutely whoop them with 440ppi screens - but apple can't increase their screen's PPI because theyve already said 300ppi is the limit.

interesting

modthispny

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
for a 4.8" screen size, the galaxy still feels pretty good in your hand.

it's thin and the rounded edges make it seem smaller than it is when you put it in your pocket or hold it.

i had the gsIII for a few days before getting the iphone 5 with verizon, the biggest issue for me was getting used to the 'android' way of things.

a lot of the android features such as open source, are no use to me. i use my phone to check email, text, surf the web, and instagram/twitter.

IMO the iphone 5 does a better job with such, 1 day worth of texts already caused the GSIII to lag when i opened texts, emails would also lag too, and the rendering was not accurate.

widgets and everything are cool, such as watching a video while doing something else, but after a day the novelty wore off.

i would definitely consider an android again if it was as snappy and 'instant' as the iOS.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I wouldn't switch phones over screen size. I however would switch phones over OS, I am not concerned at all about Apple's hardware choices I know they are going to do fine by me. iOS needs the scrutiny here, not the 4 inch screen and that is just being honest.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I think the only people that this really has any kindof effect on is the spec-who*es out there. To everyday people it has no effect on them or their usage of the device.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
i would definitely consider an android again if it was as snappy and 'instant' as the iOS.

I take it that your gsIII hadn't been updated to Jellybean yet since Samsung has barely rolled Jellybean out to that phone.

from Google's website:

Jelly Bean features improved performance throughout the system, including faster orientation changes, faster responses when switching between recent apps, and smoother and more consistent rendering across the system through vsync and triple buffering.

http://www.android.com/about/jelly-bean/

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I always felt that 720p was a great "sweet spot" on mobile. Videos look amazing and details from photos are amazing to look at. The only problem with adding more pixels, needs a more powerful graphics chip to play a full 1080p video not to mention a bigger battery to power both.

Just cause you can capture 1080p doesn't always mean you can play back the full resolution video on many phones. The Galaxy S3 is the size limit for me but the plus there is some great looking games. Still at the major cost of battery life since the GPU has much more workload than average.

Attached: Shadowgun running on a Galaxy S3 series phone.

That's pretty nice, but I've seen games like Fruit Ninja still blurry. Why is this? I would have thought 720 is one of those resolutions that you prioritize for.

Before = Apple says " The more pixels the better, our product is the best on the market because we have the highest pixel count and text looks so sharp and crisp its like reading a high quality printed page."

Now = Apple says " Pixel density doesn't matter, that is not important in a phone" :eek:

LOL, the apple corporate marketing machine at work. Lie to the customers and push your hardware at all costs.

That's just you making up quotes to fulfill your skewed view of things. Apple said phones are getting too big to use one-handed. They never said pixel density doesn't anymore. Why do people always think Apple doesn't think about these things? Look at the Droid DNA reviews? Battery life sucks and the screen difference is so minimal it's not worth having to charge your phone 2-3 times a day. Same thing with 3G and LTE. Apple waited until the technology was more mature before introducing it.

Last edited:

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
A 720p 4.5″ iPhone would be awesome. If Apple found a way to make the bezels a bit smaller than now then the device would only be a little bit bigger than the iPhone 5. It would also keep the same pixels-per-inch (326).

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
let me go play the violin on garage band for ya
This made my night, lol.

My former, fatter self could probably handle a 5 inch phone just fine... but now that I'm wearing small pants ergo small pockets... I'll stick with my iPhone.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Most reviews I've read from the Droid DNA compare it to the iPhone 5 since Apple is who started the PPI craze say its noticeably better.

Slash gear

" Today, the iPhone 5 has a pixel density of 326ppi, still competitive despite larger Android handsets with greater screen sizes, but the DROID DNA’s 440ppi count puts it in another league entirely. Even when you get up close – far closer than the distance from which you’d normally view a smartphone display – text and graphics are silky smooth, and it’s enough to make 720p panels look crunchy and unrefined in comparison."

Engadget

" The screen is bright, well saturated and crisper than just about anything we've seen."

The Verge

"There aren't enough superlatives to say how good this screen is"

For something that's impossible to notice a lot of people are noticing. Apple will eventually release the "Retina 2" or something and the cycle will continue....

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple is thinking about their developers.
This is the story (or excuse) that gets told over & over. As if Apple really cares. Just because it's true that developers code to a fixed set of parameters, that's their problem. Apple's not as warm & fuzzy as many romantics get sucked into believing.

Bottom line? The market is demanding & buying smartphones with large screens. Samsungs smart enough to listen & build what's in demand.

Apple has become an old & stodgy company as conservative as old rich white men. They've become "the man". Everything that Apple once abhorred. It's fascinating to watch.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Bottom line? The market is demanding & buying smartphones with large screens.

Are they? Based on Google's own numbers, only 6.1% of active Android phones are considered "large screens" by Google's definition. This number is down from the last time I checked.

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

qzsmJ.png

Jax9D.png

Google defines this as phones over 4 inches (looks like it goes from about 4.3 and above)

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

eGRUt.png

Doesn't seem like that big of a demand to me...

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Seriously.. if iphone 5s comes out next year.. I am gonna have to say see you.. I know specs is not everything but apple is just going backwards... this is why I said this year when they were going through stupid specs res change for 4 inch phone, they should have come out w/ multiple size to future proof.. this is so lame and stupid

I know we all love iphone 5 but when 5 inch w/ 1080 comes out.. seriously. it's just stupid..

I do agree with you. I have a 4S, may consider something different next year, but have you seen the Blackberry by Porsche. It's really nice looking, but I'd still choose an iPhone over it. Everything looks great except for the price at $1800 and the shiny plastic banding around the entire sides - should've done it in steel. Front is stainless steel and back is leather.
porsche-design-blackberry-p-9981-launched-to-sell-for-2000-39927-7.jpg

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Seriously.. if iphone 5s comes out next year.. I am gonna have to say see you.. I know specs is not everything but apple is just going backwards... this is why I said this year when they were going through stupid specs res change for 4 inch phone, they should have come out w/ multiple size to future proof.. this is so lame and stupid

I know we all love iphone 5 but when 5 inch w/ 1080 comes out.. seriously. it's just stupid..

you are right i agree with you fully better not to sound stupid

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Are they? Based on Google's own numbers, only 6.1% of active Android phones are considered "large screens" by Google's definition. Doesn't seem like that big of a demand to me...
Data can be deceiving. One must take things in context. Once one steps out from behind Apples walled garden & into the mainstream global smartphone space, all the news revolves around the current & future releases of Samsung & others Androids with screens at 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 5.5" & up. It's as simple as that

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

It's "just stupid" (I'd say naive/ignorant) to assume that Apple needs to follow. If the majority considered that to be a problem the 5 wouldn't have the sales figures that it has.

Feel free to provide evidence for your argument that proves otherwise.

You're simply making the typical assumption that since your specific needs/wants -- which are certainly shared with others but not with a demonstrably significant share of the overall market -- aren't met that Apple is "failing" in general. If Apple's products don't meet your needs/wants then don't use them. That, however, doesn't mean that they're failing when their stock prices and cash reserves are as high as they are and iPhone sales are as they are. If you want to argue that they're slipping then provide something to back up your assertion. Otherwise this is just another one of those threads claiming that "company A has to follow company B" to succeed that have popped up from armchair experts since the beginning of discussion forum sites.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Data can be deceiving. One must take things in context. Once one steps out from behind Apples walled garden & into the mainstream global smartphone space, all the news revolves around the current & future releases of Samsung & others Androids with screens at 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 5.5" & up. It's as simple as that

Your statement was:

Bottom line? The market is demanding & buying smartphones with large screens.

How could data from Google that directly measures the screen size of phones that are currently in people's hands, be deceptive regarding what phones the market is currently buying? The statement of what the market is buying can only be quantified with numbers. If your position is that 6.1% is large enough to state that the market is "demanding & buying smartphones with large screens", then we can debate that, but you cannot invalidate the statistics by pointing at the number of tech blog rumor articles.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
I need Apple to make a 7" 4K resolution iPhone.

haha... good one.

just like someone would need 1080p on a 32" TV

----------

I do agree with you. I have a 4S, may consider something different next year, but have you seen the Blackberry by Porsche. It's really nice looking, but I'd still choose an iPhone over it. Everything looks great except for the price at $1800 and the shiny plastic banding around the entire sides - should've done it in steel. Front is stainless steel and back is leather.

phone with keypad still? seriously.... we're supposed to going away from it. they're uncomfortable to type in.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
haha... good one.

just like someone would need 1080p on a 32" TV

Funny you mention that I have a 32" 1080p made by Sony. I can easily tell the difference from a 720p set at the same size.

Gaming shows a striking difference with games that support full 1080p.

Why would anyone need a 13" retina MacBook Pro?

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
That's pretty nice, but I've seen games like Fruit Ninja still blurry. Why is this? I would have thought 720 is one of those resolutions that you prioritize for.

My best guess as since a majority of Android phones use a 480x800 display. Phones with higher resolutions such as various Droid models, Galaxy S III, and the new 1080p Droid DNA have to upscale games that simply are not designed for older games.

Same issue with the older iPhone apps and when the iPhone 4 released. Older games were upscaled. The other issue is when Pixel or bitmap elements are used in any app which never scale well at all in stark contrast to 3D games that easily upscale with little to no issue at all.

Other games that are not well designed for higher resolution displays often have controls that are difficult to touch since they were never really designed for higher resolution displays but still work just fine.

Angry Birds Space is one such example.

What makes having a newer game designed for these phones is amazing clarity. The largest trade off is needing a more powerful CPU/GPU combo (fourth Gen iPad over the iPad 3 anyone?)

Shadowgun has been out for a while and is able to scale easily between older phones and the newer models as long as you have enough RAM to support it. Badly coded games or those that have been shelved in favor for newer projects suffer from the overall blurring. The best example is one guilty pleasure of mine. Bejeweled 2... Long abandoned by EA...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.