Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Those would be fighting words 20 years ago, but as an adult now I can admit SNES had many "advantages" However Sonic still > than Mario.

I still consider that bolded bit fighting words even now (cuz I'm a dork). Sonic was alright, but how could you claim any of them even come close to the glory that was Mario 3? :mad:

It does however prove my point in saying we had our expensive electronic toys even when Ronald Reagan was President. This is not some millennial phenomena.

Oh, nowhere near. I'd say the phenomena started with our generation (maybe even slightly beforehand if you consider the Atari 2600 and the other late 70's consoles), and has carried on strongly since. The tablets and consoles now are only the latest iteration thereof.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Don't listen to all these people saying that people buying their kids iPads are bad parents. They're just being internet edgy, or aren't capable of any forward thinking.

My mom and dad got me a computer when I was about 5. It was my first introduction to the wide, wonderful world of technology. You buying your kid an iPad would be the modern equivalent of what my parents did for me.

I think you're right. The basis behind getting an iPad for him is so he can learn the current computer environment we offer today. Thanks for the support. :D

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
how much for 1 rib?

"One rib?"

dsffds.jpg

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm not a kid 6-12, and I am getting an iPad mini with Cellular, but I'm not very excited about it. I'm getting it because it's functional and it'll be my cheap phone replacement (hello $25 data-only plan, goodbye $75 smartphone plan).

However, the one thing I actually really want is a Samsung XE700T1C (I know, who comes up with these names, right?) tablet... It's so cool...

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm amazed the PS3 remains so high, this far into its life cycle.

Some kids have reached the age where they're no longer happy with their Wii. They don't care if the next-gen consoles from MS and SONY are only a couple of years away, they want what the big boys have now.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I want to buy an Apple TV no one said ever. :p

Seriously they need to either get some go on the Apple TV or drop it.

They don't really know what it is. That is likely part of the reason for the results, younger kids only know the iPad etc often. So that will skew results

Plus how many kids did they survey. And how were they selected

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
Dang, when I was 12, I was content with my Gameboy Advance and Pokemon Sapphire.

And I still play those two to this day.

Shows that the tech world is rapidly advancing. Can't wait to see what 12 year old kids would want ten years from now.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm seriously considering getting my 4 year old son an iPad. I'm an over-indulgent father, but I guess there are worse things in this world.

That isn't so bad, depending on what you put on it. There are some great education games etc.

It's if you let him use it all the freaking time, not make him put it down, play outside etc that there is a potential issue

My nephew is 9 and his school requires he have an iPad. Some of the things the little brainiac had on it is art apps for learning about Picasso etc, classical music, French drills. He uses it at school and about an hour a day at home. The test of the time he's playing outside, helping cook dinner, cleaning his room etc just like before

StarDal

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
I want to buy an Apple TV no one said ever. :p

Seriously they need to either get some go on the Apple TV or drop it.

I'm probably going to get one.. my 3rd. Great little TV accessory and for $99 it's the biggest bang for the buck in regards to iOS devices.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Interesting that they want the iPod touch as much as the iPad mini? Would have thought the mini would be more popular. :confused:

----------

Dang, when I was 12, I was content with my Gameboy Advance and Pokemon Sapphire.

And I still play those two to this day.

Shows that the tech world is rapidly advancing. Can't wait to see what 12 year old kids would want ten years from now.

When I was 12 I found a stick in the yard to play with. Electronics were not invented yet.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Its a shame people think these days that a limited device such as the ipad is the equivalent of a computer :(

Specially for kids that will only play angry birds or random games.

For most of this kids an iPad is enough 'computer' for them. And they will 'only play' depending on their partners. Same as with a 'real' computer

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
The iPhone is a great investment if you ask me. I buy it on contract, use it for two years, and recoup my initial purchase price (and then some) when it comes time to upgrade 18 months later. Its pretty much like using the iPhone for free!

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through.

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.

You must not have kids.

----------

I guess I raised my kids better.
The louder they cried about wanting something, the less interested I was in getting it for them.

They always hear the same two words from me.
Earn it.
Show me straight A's for an entire school year.
Clean up after yourself without having to be told to do it 50 times.
Save your allowance money and buy it yourself.

The list goes on.

Howling about wanting an expensive toy in my house is a sure fire way to get nothing.
Not understanding the value these devices can provide children makes you a poorly informed parent. The fact you call them toys cements that.

But good on getting your kids to resent you. By the way the prices of these devices are not considered expensive by every one.

----------

And in a related survey, 99% of the parents of these spoiled kids immediately replied, "Get off the couch and get a job if you want those expensive gadgets, you lazy sonuva..."

The kids are 6-12.

----------

Which is exactly why I DON'T want one thank you very much. Surface for me (and us business folk).

As a business folk I would question the judgment of someone using a surface in a professional capacity in the next three months

----------

Any family that buys an iPad for their 6-year old kid deserves to have their tax bracket doubled. Because, clearly, they have more money than they know what to do with.
iPads are great educational instruments for children.

How about parents that don't buy their kids iPads have them taken away because they are inhibiting their ability to learn and be educated in numerous ways.

Comments like yours are very out of touch with the new reality. It is shocking how capable young children are on such devices plus how much quality software there is for it. Not to mention such devices will be instrumental to them for the foreseeable future and I think any parent who is spending money on beer for themselves over a tablet for their kid is failing.

----------

Can kids 6-12 years really understand the differences between these...

iPhone: 33%
vs
Smartphone other than iPhone: 20%
Android smartphone: 16%
Other Mobile Phone: 8%
Kids of android below 25 no.

Kids of others above 8 yes

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
For most of this kids an iPad is enough 'computer' for them. And they will 'only play' depending on their partners. Same as with a 'real' computer

Yur basically teaching then to spend spend spend if you give your kid a ipad, its a device to consume and nothing else.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Its a shame people think these days that a limited device such as the ipad is the equivalent of a computer :(

Specially for kids that will only play angry birds or random games.

It is a shame with 100s of thousands of apps someone would suggest kids would use iPads for random games only. Perhaps those people are jealous six year olds have things they do not? Again any forward thinking parent should be looking at these devices. The apple devices allow a level of control to keep the children in bounds. The experience will be invaluable to them.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
It is a shame with 100s of thousands of apps someone would suggest kids would use iPads for random games only. Perhaps those people are jealous six year olds have things they do not? Again any forward thinking parent should be looking at these devices. The apple devices allow a level of control to keep the children in bounds. The experience will be invaluable to them.

Sure teach your kid to be a consumer.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I would like to know how many 6-12 year old kids can afford to buy anything on that list?

Interest is meaningless without the means to follow through.

I'm interested in a Ferrari. Never mind that I can't afford one.

The adult survey has more relevance.

Parents :), I thought that one was obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.