Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So did you see the new iPhone 5 commercial on the front page of this site? You know, the one showing off the photos that you can take with it and share with people.

Now, I've always been one to defend Apple that the photos doesn't take up the full 5 inch screen. I'm a photographer by trade and know how hard it is to change something like that in a chip.

But the fact is the photos in that commercial lead you to believe that the photos will take up the entire screen of the iPhone 5. That is totally wrong and false advertising.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
But did you see how yellow/crappy the Thanksgiving pictures were? Bet they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5) and they'd be 16:9 as advertised. Sorry, but Apple gets off scot free :cool:

The only misrepresentation here is how they've managed to show a flawless black iP5 with nary a nick nor scratch anywhere :D

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
But did you see how yellow/crappy the Thanksgiving pictures were? Bet they were shot while taking a video (as you can do on the iPhone 5) and they'd be 16:9 as advertised. Sorry, but Apple gets off scot free :cool:

The only misrepresentation here is how they've managed to show a flawless black iP5 with nary a nick nor scratch anywhere :D

My iPhone 5 is flawless and so are quite a lot of new ones...

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
So did you see the new iPhone 5 commercial on the front page of this site? You know, the one showing off the photos that you can take with it and share with people.

Now, I've always been one to defend Apple that the photos doesn't take up the full 5 inch screen. I'm a photographer by trade and know how hard it is to change something like that in a chip.

But the fact is the photos in that commercial lead you to believe that the photos will take up the entire screen of the iPhone 5. That is totally wrong and false advertising.

Their Siri commercial leads me to buy an iPhone4S and it doesn't even work as advertised with "sequence shortened" as perfect run-away excuse. Even saying the exact same phrase as the commercial, Siri wouldn't understand.

Apple like to show you a world where everything is perfect in their advertisement... but work otherwise in the real world.

The New iPad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Photos have been 3:2 for a long time. Apple isn't looking to change that.

Some photographer you are.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I agree with the OP.

There have been several threads here from people who complain that the camera doesn't take 16x9 photos. I always respond by talking about how common photo ratios go back over a century and we shouldn't up-end the whole system just because of the shape of a cell phone.

Anyway, that argument goes both ways. If I really believe that the camera works "right" (and I do) then I can't very well say they should show it another way on the TV ad. I need to make the same call here: The camera works right and so they should show it that way in the ads.

Photos have been 3:2 for a long time. Apple isn't looking to change that.

Some photographer you are.

I love it when someone is really, really smug and yet apparently didn't read the original post very closely.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
How shocking!! Isn't that the point of an advertisement?

I'm yet to see a cellphone manufacturer advertise their device while it is crashing or rebooting or taking a photo with a purple haze in it. :eek:

I've seen some Android phone's ads showing its interface even smoother than an iPhone :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.