Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T appears to be quietly extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular capabilities to all their iPhone customers. Earlier this month, AT&T announced that they would allow any customer "with an LTE device" on a "tiered data plan" to use iOS 6's FaceTime over Cellular feature.

This, however, excluded a number of customers, including those with grandfathered unlimited data plans as well as those with the iPhones 4S. (Note, iOS 6, itself, can only supports FaceTime-over-Cellular on the 4S, 5 and iPad 3rd Gen or higher)

facetime_cellular_banner.jpg
Tonight, Forum user kre62 noticed that both his iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with unlimited AT&T data plans now support FaceTime over cellular.
In a recent thread we were discussing AT&T members getting facetime with LTE devices and tiered plans. However I noticed today that I have facetime over cellular and I have an unlimited plan on my 5.

I just turned off my other phone, a 4S and turned it back on, only to find the switch flipped to ON for facetime over cellular. Both phones work perfectly over cellular.

I also checked a few coworkers phones, all now have FT over cellular.
This finding has been confirmed by a number of users in this discussion thread -- though some users have been unable to activate it so it may still be rolling out to some areas. AT&T had said the original rollout for tiered plans could take 8-10 weeks. Most of the positive responses have been those with the iPhone 5 and grandfathered unlimited data, but the original poster also had luck with an iPhone 4S.

Some users have had to completely restart their phones for the service to go into effect. There still remains a possibility that this is an oversight on AT&T's part. We are reaching out to AT&T for clarification on their policy.

Article Link: AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Works for me! Looks like AT&T is coming around just in time for the holidays.

Thanks AT&T... for this early Hanukkah present.

saminator8

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Still not working

I have a 4S with unlimited data on ATT. I restarted the phone and it still says I need to call ATT.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
Still saying that I need to contact AT&T to activate this feature.

*sigh*

C'mon, Sprint, turn on LTE here in Austin so I can drop AT&T like a bad habit.

Edit: iPhone 4S with grandfathered Unlimited data plan.

Last edited:

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
So happy to hear this! Still tells me to call AT&T when I try to turn on FaceTime over cellular though. My area doesn't even have LTE so I imagine it'll take a while before I see it.

Edit: Rebooted my phone. When I went back in to settings, FaceTime over cellular was checked! Very pleased, AT&T. It's about time!

Edit 2: Scratch that. Just checked it again and it's unchecked and still tells me to call AT&T.

Last edited:

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
Confirmed for me. iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited plan. Just restarted my phone after seeing this article. :D

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Not for me!

Correction!

I had to hard reset.. Home & lock.. Now it works! **** Yea!

After testing for a few days I have discovered not all the towers work. I think it's only on our new LTE towers, but I could be wrong... Idk!

I also found that FT over an AT&T Micro Cell now works. It did not work before. At my house the tower will not allow FT, but my M-Cell does!

I'm in Sacramento, CA

Last edited:

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I always think Canadian carriers are behind the curve, but I have a 6GB plan and I have gotten Facetime over cellular since iOS 6. We've also been getting tethering for free. :eek: Those 3 year plans are what get us.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
No luck as well, iphone 5 unlimited. Even tried the restart. I'm in Indianapolis.

----------

When you restarted, was the switch turned on or did you have to turn it on?

I restarted and went straight into the settings. Once I did that it gave me a message about FaceTime.....don't remember exact wording, but clicked ok and it turned it on for me. Signed in with my Apple ID and all is good!

Located in Des Moines, IA in case anyone wants to know.

bigrustyjc

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2005
Not working for me

Still not working for me either. I'm in st louis. I have an iphone 5 with unlimited.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
So, how long until we get a VoiceTime? As in FaceTime but without the video, meaning voice over data. Any predictions?

josephebacon

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Not working here in Los Angeles

Just tried it, doesn't work. Rebooted my 4S still get the blue screen telling me to change the data plan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.