Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Some of the software I write goes through a bunch of iterations and prints out how long it takes to do each iteration.

At the end of the run, the CPU was in the mid 90s but still chugging along just as fast as when it started.

I plan on buying the base i7 Mini on Black Friday this week and will be able to see if it throttles or not then.

Ah. I assumed you were referring to CPU clock so you had seen the CPU stay at max speed during the whole test.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Ah. I assumed you were referring to CPU clock so you had seen the CPU stay at max speed during the whole test.

I assume the CPU clock speed *did* stay the same, since the compute performance stayed the same.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
the base runs 20 to 30 f cooler it should be fine.

I was unable to get it past 190f and cpu use stayed at 99 to 100%. I like the base mini a lot. I run it with an external t-bolt ssd no muss no fuss.

@motrek: Apple employees never admit to anything being faulty with their computers, I thought I was clear enough with those two links. Obviously you cannot read between the lines.

@philipma1957: Is the base 2011 mini running as cool as the base 2012 mini? Thanks for the 190F figure at 99 - 100% CPU, what temperature is your environment and what speed was the fan doing?

It looks like that if I get into a bend I can use it as a replacement of the 2010 server - if I only could have it fitted with a second driver by Apple then that would be even better (do not want to screw up the warranty).

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
@motrek: Apple employees never admit to anything being faulty with their computers, I thought I was clear enough with those two links. Obviously you cannot read between the lines.

Uh, no. You aren't being clear at all.

For any flaw in any Apple product, either real or imaginary, there is a mountain of news coverage and/or message board posts. Posting links to these stories just confirms my point.

So far I haven't found a single message board thread about overheating 2011 Mac Minis. There are about half a dozen people in this forum who are happy to speculate that there must be a bunch of overheating Minis and tell fairy tales about them but if it was an actual honest-to-god problem don't you think you could dig up one single message board post made by somebody whose 2011 Mini overheated?

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
At times I do wonder why I even attempt to reply to some postings and try to enlighten the person on the other end.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
At times I do wonder why I even attempt to reply to some postings and try to enlighten the person on the other end.

Okay, so, what, you're secretly an Apple employee attempting to divulge (or at least insinuate) internal secret information about failing 2011 Mini motherboards?

Sorry, I've worked for big companies like Apple and I've watched the training videos. That's a fireable offense. It doesn't matter if you're saying it outright or subtly trying to confirm 3rd party claims. HR will still fire you. So please excuse me if I don't believe that you're an Apple employee with inside information; surely you can understand why I wouldn't.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
OK... I decided to see what it would take for me to happy with the temp performance of the 2012 i7 mini. I flipped the mini over and put an 80mm Silenx low rpm fan pointing in. For me I usually run between 15% and 25% load so I took the upper limit and used two instances of /dev/null/ to get the 26% load I have shown. With the lid on the temps were in the high 80's low 90's unless I spun the internal fan to like 3000+rpm. Here the hot spot would jump between 65 and 75degC (mostly stayed in the 60's) while the CPUA temp (is this more the heatsink?) would ride closer to 65degC (a peak at 69degC is shown). A huge improvement for such a simple approach. Now of course I need to clean this up and add a filter but I think this will solve at least my uses. I will be looking for a nice quiet 200mm+ fan with good cfm and low noise.

FWIW: At my normal 15% load I can let the internal fan be at default 1800rpm and the Hot spot temp stays in the mid 60's with the CPUA temp in the 50's! Now that will work for me!

3305801_orig.jpg

540927_orig.png

Last edited:

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Imho...

I've been reading philipma1957 posts since he received the 2.3 i7. Instead of just using the Mini he proceeded to run hours of tests designed to put as much stress as possible on the Mac. I wonder how many hours he has spent posting on this forum; it has to be close to the equivalent of a full-time job...

Most Mini owners are never going to come close to maxing-out the capabilities of the i7 Mini. In normal use the i7 isn't going to be run for hours with all the cores maxed-out in a very warm (77-78F) environment.

Maybe his first Mini was defective.. or perhaps he just succeeded in breaking it by his incessant testing. What is the point of all the testing and speculation? I think that he should reconsider his obsession with operating temperatures and testingtestingtesting/postingpostingposting. :rolleyes:

I suggest that folks try to ignore these kinds of threads once you have a new Mini. Enjoy the powerful little sucker doing what you usually do with your Mac. I got mine three days after it was available via the online Apple Store and it has run like a top. Temps are well within acceptable parameters, the fans are silent (heck-my NewerTech miniStack v3 fan is louder than the Mini) and I'm a Happy Camper.

The Mini has a one-year warranty, so I am good to go for the next twelve months. Add an extended AppleCare warranty and that makes it 36 months. I'll let philipma1957 and his ilk waste their time running myriad tests. Me? I'm going to actually use the Mini for its intended purpose while ignoring this kind of thread.

Oh, and I'm going to put philipma1957 on my ignore list to reduce the noise level around here. :D

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Oh, and I'm going to put philipma1957 on my ignore list ....

Perhaps it has not registered with you that Philip has a nice side line upgrading / customising Mac mini's and selling those on eBay. As such it means that he has lots of interest to make sure that what he sells will work without the stuff coming back to him. If memory serves right he has sold 450 plus Mac mini's.

I am running the machine for a business and downtime / hickups can cost me dearly, far more than that any PC or Mac available is costing. I am fond of how compact and portable the Mc mini is, in addition it does not get easily damaged by being squashed in the overhead lockers in the planes (unlike laptops).

This means that I take note of what Philip's experience is which collaborates with my own.

Darby67

macrumors 6502
Perhaps it has not registered with you that Philip has a nice side line upgrading / customising Mac mini's and selling those on eBay. As such it means that he has lots of interest to make sure that what he sells will work without the stuff coming back to him. If memory serves right he has sold 450 plus Mac mini's.

This means that I take note of what Philip's experience is which collaborates with my own.

Unfortunately having a side-business does not mean much in the real world of working with them: the conclusions that are made are often just not sound. Major points for the stick-to-it-iveness, but beyond that, beware. If it adds value to what you feel is true all power to you.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Prepared for Your Pithy Rejoinders and To Be Ignored...

I am running the machine for a business and downtime / hickups can cost me dearly, far more than that any PC or Mac available is costing. I am fond of how compact and portable the Mc mini is, in addition it does not get easily damaged by being squashed in the overhead lockers in the planes (unlike laptops).

I know about his little eBay biz and his occasional unsubtle references to it in his posts that can cross the line regarding this forum's rule against advertising and self-promotion.

And like you I depend on my Mac to make a living, which is why I always have at least two Macs as well as the usual redundant on and off-site backups Just In Case. Even Macs that are perfectly functional when new can die at any moment with little or no warning...

All I am saying is that Phillip and others like him seem to miss the point: Macs are mass-produced electronic devices that are vulnerable to myriad calamities during design, production, shipment and use. They are intended to be used for creativity and the appreciation of creations: they are tools as well as entertainment centers.

But in the minds of some people they are akin to fetishes, things to be coveted, even worshipped. They must be cosmetically perfect with hardware to match. Slight differences in specifications and performance are the subject of endless obsessive debate. It all becomes rather tiresome after a while...

A Mac is merely a consumer product that comes with a decent warranty should reality rear its ugly little head and the object of desire suffer a premature end. So It Goes... If it is purchased from Apple the 14-day return period is ample time to put it through its paces actually using it for its intended purposes; some retailers have similar generous return policies.

If you want to run RAM tests for hours on end and torture your Mac until it runs as hot as a toaster, obviously it is your choice. If your computer needs actually require flawless performance while maxing-out a CPU 24/7 for months on end without the possibility of failure (everyone who has those real-world requirements please hold up their hands ...) then I suggest that you have multiple Macs on hand because such an animal does not exist. Otherwise millions are sold and used every day for years before they need to be repaired or replaced. Buy extended AppleCare (I recommend the L.A. Computer Co. for its consistently low-prices) if you want long-term peace of mind.

I am addressing those who are not inclined to indulge in Mac veneration but who might get sucked-in by accident as they peruse this forum: Enjoy your Mac. Edit your images with Photoshop. Get Handbrake up and running and then read a good book while it grinds away. Make love to your Significant Other while your fave tunes emanate from your iTunes library. Just don't waste your precious time worrying about stuff that doesn't make a difference to most of us.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.