Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
sorry but this took way to damn long to fix. after it was first reported Apple should of rushed out a patch to fix it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Anyone else find it absurd that Apple never even really acknowledged this problem, and didn't even mention the fact that it was fixed?

What does Apple have to gain from being so uncommunicative about security issues? I can understand keeping the latest new product under tight wraps, but this is stuff that, if not kept in the open... you start to wonder if they might have nefarious intentions.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Anyone else find it absurd that Apple never even really acknowledged this problem, and didn't even mention the fact that it was fixed?

What does Apple have to gain from being so uncommunicative about security issues? I can understand keeping the latest new product under tight wraps, but this is stuff that, if not kept in the open... you start to wonder if they might have nefarious intentions.

They trip head over heels to close jailbreak holes but take a year to handle urgent privacy concerns.

Hopefully this management shakeup will help things...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
If the issue is logins for multiple services, have a login after stolen or wipes at an Apple server that enables all default features with cloud preferences.

Earth to Apple, please come in.

Your iDevice has been stolen and we have identified the location of the perps. What do you want to do?

1. Go there personally and kick their a$$.
2. Call the police and report it.
3. The police suck, call my cousin Sam and tell him to hold the forgiveness.
4. Send three hot chicks over to persuade them to cough it up.
5. Stop diddling. Send the Russian Mafia.
6. Really stop diddling. Send the Finnish Mafia. :p

Try googling for Finnish Mafia and you will find nothing. They are that well hidden. Their victims end up in a snow bank even if they are in Miami. That is part of their trademark.
;)

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
In addition, wiping your iPhone remotely using Find My iPhone will now disable the stolen device from receiving iMessages.

The real question is: Why the hell didn't this happen before? You'd think a remote wipe would be just that, a WIPE to clear out all data and configuration. Not a "Wipe to delete some pictures and a few emails, but we'll leave the rest intact."

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It would almost be funny if it wasn't our devices bing put at risk. Eleven months to do such a basic security fix, and the lack of transparency about it, is humiliating.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Seems logical when you read it, but I have to admit that this is not the first thought you're considering when developing an iOS.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I think Apple should build in a remote Taser. If someone steels your phone you can tase them every ½ hour.

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
I just changed my phone # earlier today and my girlfriend is still getting my iMessages from my previous #

Turn off iMessage (and Facetime - only necessary if that was also tied to the old number too - but may as well play it safe).
Reboot your iphone.
Leave iMessage disabled for a while - not sure how long - it just needs to trickle the SIM data into the OS. An hour should do it - if not leave it overnight.
Then turn iMessage back on and it should be associated with your new number.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Everyone??

Speak for yourself, please...

yes, he is almost right.
same here

----------

Turn off iMessage (and Facetime - only necessary if that was also tied to the old number too - but may as well play it safe).
Reboot your iphone.
Leave iMessage disabled for a while - not sure how long - it just needs to trickle the SIM data into the OS. An hour should do it - if not leave it overnight.
Then turn iMessage back on and it should be associated with your new number.

what d h3ll is that, is it NASA instruction to lunch new rocket?

----------

I just changed my phone # earlier today and my girlfriend is still getting my iMessages from my previous #

last week got 4s (ios6) from someone, already All data Erased and clean as new, but I found his number in iMessages options, his number still was an option that would I want to receive imessages to this number.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Ahh, Apple, they never have bugs, security issues, or faulty hardware or software, at least they never ADMIT when they do and then do the hardest they can to cover it up.

Apples guys all used to work at area 51.. no aliens there.

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. First unknown contacts startet to show up in his contact list, then even photos taken by the thief started showing up in his photo stream!
Not so funny was the fact that this might be working the other way around as well, i.e. the thief getting his photos/messages/contacts.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
When are Apple going to introduce 'enter pass code to switch off', so that a thief can't simply turn your iPhone off to prevent you tracking it through Find my iPhone?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wow. Only took one year and a plethora of iMessage downtimes to fix this gaping privacy hole.

it wasn't that big of a gaping hole. Before you just had to go and detach the device from your Apple ID by hand. Something that was discussed in depth when this 'bug' was found.

Now it is automatic. and potentially does it when you really don't need it to because you didn't change a device but just restored it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Stubborn Apple, they need to change this attitude - at least now when everyone is a bit sick of them overall...

EVERYONE? I think you mean you and you are the only person you should be speaking for given that there has been no election to name you the spokesperson for everyone in the world.

It's your right to your opinion and to speak your opinion. Not your right to declare your opinion universal and speak for everyone.

----------

I'm glad this make life easier for people including, those who steal iphones. But I would like it if I could press a button to blacklist any carrier from ever using my stolen iphone again, or a button that can turn my stolen iPhone into a brick.

Carriers aren't going to make it that easy to blacklist a phone as they will legally need to make sure the right person is behind the request. They don't want you calling and screaming cause I had your phone declared 'stolen' and blacklisted because we were dating and I caught you screwing my sister and wanted to get back at you (and as you paid more attention to your phone than me that was the best method).

Even just putting it behind a log in or password isn't so useful when folks are so careless about picking passwords, handing them out to family members or using 'keep logged in' options on the home computer.

----------

check her iMessages setting. is she logged into the same Apple ID as you. if so then her number was attached to that ID as is yours.

----------

When are Apple going to introduce 'enter pass code to switch off', so that a thief can't simply turn your iPhone off to prevent you tracking it through Find my iPhone?

Likely never since its pointless. All a thief has to do is know how to bypass the code by throwing the phone into force recover mode. Same way that you can unbrick a phone that your kids screwed by banging on kids too many times. And they won't block entering force recovery by a 'thief' because of said latter need which probably happens more than phones getting stolen that actually have a passcode on them (more folks are walking around with no code than actually having one)

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Likely never since its pointless. All a thief has to do is know how to bypass the code by throwing the phone into force recover mode. Same way that you can unbrick a phone that your kids screwed by banging on kids too many times. And they won't block entering force recovery by a 'thief' because of said latter need which probably happens more than phones getting stolen that actually have a passcode on them (more folks are walking around with no code than actually having one)

Surely it's about delaying that moment as long as possible so that the time you have to track is as great as possible?

How many opportunist thieves are going to know about DFU mode? Not many, I bet. There will be some cases where needing the pass code to turn off would work, so why not include the option?

I had an iPhone stolen and, along with the police, I was tracking it for a couple of hours before it disappeared completely. Maybe The police could have recovered it if I'd had a bit of extra time.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
iPhone I found had this issue. I wiped it and before I turned it in to vzw, I was still get all the texts sent to it...sent as well....I started to keep it, the girl was sending some nice nakeds out. :D

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
This is asinine. Why in the world cant they brick a phone that is stolen to prevent theft in the first place? The second a stolen phone tried to connect to a cellular / wifi network, it gets bricked and traced.

Or is Apple ok with this so those who get their stuff jacked have to go and buy a new device?

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Yay! So they finally fixed a glaring issue that never should have existed in the first place and seems to still be there behind the scenes, only hidden from view by an extra password check that shouldn't even really be needed.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
No worries...I don't have a smartphone. :)

Same here. All the back and forth over a freaking phone choice didn't help me in wanting to keep a smartphone, just made me sad for the future. People's pathetic levels grew a few notches. What happened to guys not ever asking for directions? Now it's "I need my transit directions!!!" People know how to read the colored coded maps and which stop they will get off on still, right???

Least fist fights should go down in numbers with all guys wearing dresses. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I'm suprised after a iMessages remote wipe.. One way would be not to connect, but then THAT would be too easy wouldn't it :p

And Apple says remote wipe "deletes everything security"

Obviously, not everything. Loppholes, Apple.... Loopholes.

Now, want about that "in-App" purchase hack that's STILL not patched. Some other things are far more important than lessor ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.