Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atken

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
iPhone 5 w/ Unlimited Data here in Portland and, after multiple restarts (both methods) I still can't activate cellular facetime calls - just get the blue box to call ATT.

I'm probably overly hopeful but could someone who has unlimited data and working facetime over cellular attempt to enable personal hotspot? I'm curious to see if that suddenly works as well

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
This is a joke

What if I have an iPad touch? How do I get it working without cellular?

mocciat

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Northern California
HMMM, no working on wires 4S and my daughters 4 doesn't even have the Facetime over cellular toggle anymore.

Anyone lese or am i missing something?

Crazyadv

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Nothing there either! This is very odd, especially because I remember there being an option at some point. Perhaps iPhone 4 has had this hard-coded out somehow?

I've got:

Cellular Data
Enable 3G
Data Roaming
Set Up Personal Hotspot

Use Cellular Data for:
iCloud Documents
iTunes
Passbook Updates
Reading List

It's under FaceTime, not general settings.

shaown

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
HMMM, no working on wires 4S and my daughters 4 doesn't even have the Facetime over cellular toggle anymore.

Anyone lese or am i missing something?

IP4 does not support FT over Cellular, only 4S and 5 on IOS 6+

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
My husband and I both rebooted our iPhones. The toggle for FaceTime over cellular DID appear for his phone (a 4S with unlimited data) but NOT for me (iPhone 4 with unlimited data). Ah well... :-\

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
My husband and I both rebooted our iPhones. The toggle for FaceTime over cellular DID appear for his phone (a 4S with unlimited data) but NOT for me (iPhone 4 with unlimited data). Ah well... :-\

Facetime over 3G and LTE only work for iphone 4S and 5! 4 is not supported it even tho steve jobs said it would later when it first release lol

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
It's under FaceTime, not general settings.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be in both locations, actually. BUT...

IP4 does not support FT over Cellular, only 4S and 5 on IOS 6+

The man above has my answer, which I also had just come to from a quick Google. Of course, this is absurd because the iPhone 4 has a front facing camera and 3G, so there's absolutely no reason it shouldn't support it. Oh, Apple...

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Same here, regular restart did not work. Edit: well, nevermind. Now it's off, and I get the dialog If I try to change it. Weird.

Same thing here. I did a hard reset on my 4S and if I toggle the switch I get the blue data screen pop up. If I reset again, the toggle will be on and again I get the pop up if I toggle it off and on. Strange

troymdaniels

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I restart, look in settings and its turned on while the phone is searching for a signal. As soon as I have service again it switches off. Pittsburgh 4s unlimited

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Works! iPhone 5 w/ unlimited data plan in Houston, TX.
Lucky! Sigh my girlfriend has poor cell reception at her apartment (we're long distance) and AT&T wants to charge for a microcell, so FT is our main source of communication sadly

qwerty101

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I have an iPhone 5 with an AT&T unlimited data plan. FaceTime over LTE works for me now. In fact, my girlfriend and I were able to FaceTime over cellular. She has an iPhone 4S with unlimited data with AT&T. Worked great.

mjrkjm

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Working for me. i5 unlimited AT&T nyc suburbs.

Don't really care about FaceTime so much as personal hotspot. Any idea if that will happen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.