Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I currently have iphone 4 with unlimited dAta. I'm planning on buying iPhone 5 in order to keep unlimited data. With the iPhone 5 on Verizon and iOS 6. I'll be able to turn on the free hotspot and connect my ipad mini via Bluetooth and surf the Internet ?

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
yeah i'm curious how this works myself.i understand from what i read i gotta pay an extra $30 for the hotspot feature which people said is unlimited if you're grandfathered to an unlimited data plan. i have an iPhone 4 also with unlimited data. i bought the iphone 5 full price today but will be returning tomorrow (scuffgate). i'm wondering if i can play call of duty black ops 2 using my playstation 3 with LTE hotspot, if so i wonder how will that work?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
yeah i'm curious how this works myself.i understand from what i read i gotta pay an extra $30 for the hotspot feature which people said is unlimited if you're grandfathered to an unlimited data plan. i have an iPhone 4 also with unlimited data. i bought the iphone 5 full price today but will be returning tomorrow (scuffgate). i'm wondering if i can play call of duty black ops 2 using my playstation 3 with LTE hotspot, if so i wonder how will that work?
How about get a case if you're worried about "scuffing"? :rolleyes:

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
if i was the one that took its virginity i wouldnt worry about it. but it came scuffed out of the box.
Ahh... that would probably piss me off too... as I have a cover/case waiting for any new phone I buy.

pyroza

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
408/310

I guarantee playing a game like CoD over LTE would be a terrible experience. The latency is simply too high.

dogboy3

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2008

Will Playstation 3 work with personal hotspot? I tried with my Wii and refused to connect it. I don't know why.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Right

----------

Terrible suggestion

Right

----------

No, it's not free. You need to buy the hotspot feature from Verizon.

I confirmed yesterday while on the phone with a Verizon rep. If I buy iphone 5 at full price , I then have to add the hotpot for $30 a month. My discount doesn't apply because due to the unlimited data and the hotpot will be unlimited too.
My fan discount does apply. :)

Last edited:

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
my suggestion would be to jailbreak. It's actually pretty easy to do and there are good tutorials on youtube. It's strange that I can put my unlimited sim in my ipad and use hotspot all day for free but in iphone they charge for it.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
my suggestion would be to jailbreak. It's actually pretty easy to do and there are good tutorials on youtube. It's strange that I can put my unlimited sim in my ipad and use hotspot all day for free but in iphone they charge for it.

How are you going to jailbreak an iPhone 5?

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I used my iPhone 5 to play halo 4 online. Worked pretty good only a few times I would lag but overall great experience

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.