Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbdoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Gave it a shot, found the screen so incredibly crappy. It's too bad, love everything else about the device.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
After using it for a day or so, the screen doesn't even bother me. And this is coming from an iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and a 3rd gen iPad.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I played with it a little at Best Buy. I didn't see the big deal. Yeah it may have not been as sharp as retina, but it still looked good in my opinion. I got one for my sister for Christmas, so I'll have to look at it more in depth then.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I played with it a little at Best Buy. I didn't see the big deal. Yeah it may have not been as sharp as retina, but it still looked good in my opinion. I got one for my sister for Christmas, so I'll have to look at it more in depth then.

Seconded. I played around with it, and while it's not nearly as clear as Retina, it's far from a bad screen. I'm debating replacing my iPad 3 with the mini, but I'm really not sure yet.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Seconded. I played around with it, and while it's not nearly as clear as Retina, it's far from a bad screen. I'm debating replacing my iPad 3 with the mini, but I'm really not sure yet.

I replaced my three with a mini and have no issues.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. While it clearly isn't as nice as a retina screen it isn't too bad. Some people seem to think looking at it for more than 5 seconds will make your eyes bleed.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
After using it for a day or so, the screen doesn't even bother me. And this is coming from an iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and a 3rd gen iPad.

Same here. I am very pro retina displays. If I didn't have ipad3 there's no way I could use this as my main device. I only use it in small increments since its my travel iPad. If I was using the mini for more than an hr then the screen quality would start to annoy me.

Spellman Jones

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Agreed. While it clearly isn't as nice as a retina screen it isn't too bad. Some people seem to think looking at it for more than 5 seconds will make your eyes bleed.

Returned mine. The screen is fine. Having the same Safari aspect as the IPad, but on a smaller screen that gave me a little eye strain.

It is like having a picture of a car on the same Kodak glossy paper, but one is on 4x6 paper and the other is on a 3x5 sheet of paper. Both look clear, both show the same car, but try reading the license plate on both and the smaller one is just a tad more difficult.

The apps on the mini were fine. The form factor was awesome. Safari was my problem. The font was ok in landscape, but not at all pleasing in portrait.

For 329 bucks, I just felt that zooming in safari was an unreasonable compromise for me. I already have an iPhone that I have to zoom on -- an acceptable compromise for something I can put in my pocket, answer phone calls, and surf 3G on bus.

For $329, the device needed to separate itself from the limited viewing of a pocket device and the cumbersome size of the regular ipad. It accomplished that goal in all aspects except the browser. The thing is, I wanted to use it primarily for surfing on the go.

I tried other browsers, but I still felt I was compromising.

Maybe a "retina" screen may help, but I still think it was cramming the same content as the large ipad on the smaller screen that was my issue.

cbdoc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Returned mine. The screen is fine. Having the same Safari aspect as the IPad, but on a smaller screen that gave me a little eye strain.

It is like having a picture of a car on the same Kodak glossy paper, but one is on 4x6 paper and the other is on a 3x5 sheet of paper. Both look clear, both show the same car, but try reading the license plate on both and the smaller one is just a tad more difficult.

The apps on the mini were fine. The form factor was awesome. Safari was my problem. The font was ok in landscape, but not at all pleasing in portrait.

For 329 bucks, I just felt that zooming in safari was an unreasonable compromise for me. I already have an iPhone that I have to zoom on -- an acceptable compromise for something I can put in my pocket, answer phone calls, and surf 3G on bus.

For $329, the device needed to separate itself from the limited viewing of a pocket device and the cumbersome size of the regular ipad. It accomplished that goal in all aspects except the browser. The thing is, I wanted to use it primarily for surfing on the go.

I tried other browsers, but I still felt I was compromising.

Maybe a "retina" screen may help, but I still think it was cramming the same content as the large ipad on the smaller screen that was my issue.

I think a retina display would make a big difference. I have very good vision, yet have to zoom in to read most text, otherwise it looks awfully pixelated and fuzzy.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I believe a retina would make a lot of diff. for sho!!! And im sure they can still sell it at $329. They just wanna make this price an official base price for mini 2 and 3 which will surely include retina. they just being too stingy on the first Gen.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
The screen doesn't bother me at all. Maybe it has something to do with coming from the iPhone 4, I don't know. But I pretty much love everything about my Mini. This is my second Apple product.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Well, I just got a galaxy note 2 and surprise how much more I enjoy reading PDFs, web pages, and magazines on the iPad mini over the note 2. The note 2 screen is just too small to be a good general e-reader.

The iPad mini screen is more than double the surface area of the note 2 screen. iPad mini's aspect ratio is also better for reading PDFs and e-magazines.

Although there are times I do wish the iPad mini has a retina screen. Would've made reading even more enjoyable.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
To me the weight difference is noticeable on the ipad 2 versus 3. So when the mini goes retina I hope they can find a way to avoid that from happening.

Personally I don't find the screen all that bad, or mind zooming. I miss the real estate and sharpness on the 3 when looking at the whole webpage. But I really like the form factor of the mini. That said, I haven't let go of my 3 yet, as I need to make sure my preference for the mini isn't just a preference for whatever is newest and shiniest.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I believe a retina would make a lot of diff. for sho!!! And im sure they can still sell it at $329. They just wanna make this price an official base price for mini 2 and 3 which will surely include retina. they just being too stingy on the first Gen.

For the umpteenth time, Apple are not being "stingy", this is an engineering issue. Specifically with current tech a retina display needs both a very large and power hungry SoC (the A6X) as well as a lot of battery power to run it. Fitting that into the iPad Mini chassis is pretty much impossible with current tech. That may well change in the upcoming months / years but anyone that thinks Apple didn't go Retina for non-engineering reasons isn't paying attention.

Anyway, to the OP: having now received and used an iPad Mini there's nothing whatsoever wrong with the screen. Just as clear as the PC monitor I use day-to-day and saying it's "incredibly crappy" is just nonsense. Would it be better with a higher resolution? Of course it would but the panel that's been used is no slouch and easily the equivalent to most 13" laptops in terms of sharpness.

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Oct 29, 2012
I saw and held a mini yesterday for the first time and as one that thought the iPads were way too heavy i found the mini is way too heavy too. I don't know how people hold them and use them comfortably. Also, what is the point of having an LTE mini when you have an LTE iPhone 5. Seems stupid. But whatever. Have fun with it. :)

iPads just don't do anything for me. I can do everything I need to do on my 5.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I saw and held a mini yesterday for the first time and as one that thought the iPads were way too heavy i found the mini is way too heavy too. I don't know how people hold them and use them comfortably. Also, what is the point of having an LTE mini when you have an LTE iPhone 5. Seems stupid. But whatever. Have fun with it. :)

You've gotta hit the gym, ASAP.

I returned my Mini as well, but that was so I could purchase a 64GB iPad 4 :D

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

Too bad you can't simply state your opinion without calling everyone who disagrees with you stupid.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Picked one up from Target last night. Screen is pretty bad compared to retina, but the weight of my iPad 3 is pretty bad compared to the mini. There is no good solution right now.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010

Wow, the Mini is too heavy to hold and use comfortably? I'm a pretty small girl and i've got absolutely no problems with it.

Also, i'm not sure why having an iPhone with LTE affects whether you have an iPad with LTE. I'm kind of wishing I got one with a data plan now and i've only taken it out of my house a couple times. It's annoying having a device that is really made to access the internet and not be able to.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You gotta do what you gotta do man. I can't see the big issue with the screen. It's unfair to compare it to retina really as nice as it would be to have it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
To me the weight difference is noticeable on the ipad 2 versus 3. So when the mini goes retina I hope they can find a way to avoid that from happening.

Personally I don't find the screen all that bad, or mind zooming. I miss the real estate and sharpness on the 3 when looking at the whole webpage. But I really like the form factor of the mini. That said, I haven't let go of my 3 yet, as I need to make sure my preference for the mini isn't just a preference for whatever is newest and shiniest.

The weight difference between the 2 and the 3/4 is 51g, that's about the weight of 3 CDs (just the disc). If Apple releases a Mini, same battery life, same physical size, 2048x1536 and it only picks up ~51g that would be spectacular :)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I played with one a few days ago, I didn't think the screen was that bad. Its far from perfect but it seemed very usable. I think that retina is a feature to get people to purchase the mini 2 so I'm going to pass on the first generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.