Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Alrite, its a nightmare come true. I bought a full price iPhone 5 at the local apple store today less than 3 hours ago for a grand total of $916. I bought it full price because I wanted to keep my unlimited verizon data plan. I was excited to finally upgrade my 2 year old iPhone 4.

But I think I want to return it tomorrow. Just wondering if Apple will ask me a reason why I want to return it? Will i need a reason? will they even take it back? I don't know how lenient or strict they are in regards to returning items like an iPhone 5. I understand theres a 14 days window where we can return apple items. Well if anybody can shed some light and input on their experience, it's much appreciated.

Well just in case you want to know, I just opened up my iPhone 5 black, and there's a scuff. I don't know if I can live with it. I'm sure I can, but I can't get over the fact that I spent $916 for a scuffed back. It's not so bad, but I cant get over it.

sorry for the poor image quality, I took it with my iphone 4.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 140
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 150
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 134

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
They should be fine. IIRC apple has a 14 day return policy for opened devices, full refund.

My cousin got a 5 full price as well, I spotted a dead pixel and one of the corners was scuffed pretty bad. Unacceptable for how much he payed for it. Apple QC is awful.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
916 bucks is a lot of dough

lol yeah. i had to think about it long and hard. i figure whatever i can sell for my iphone 4 (32 gb), which is worth $150-$200, plus all the loose coin change i've accumulated during the last few years, which i'm sure is worth $400 at the most (speaking of which i need to cash in at the coin-star machine at walmart), i figure i'd break even with it as if i was buying it at subsidized price.

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
Ha. If it were GSM, I'd take it off your hands. I am in the market for an unlocked one and don't care about a scuff. Wouldn't be the last one.

I think the price is just fine and cheaper than buying one with a 2-y contract. Do the math!

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Alrite, its a nightmare come true. I bought a full price iPhone 5 at the local apple store today less than 3 hours ago for a grand total of $916. I bought it full price because I wanted to keep my unlimited verizon data plan. I was excited to finally upgrade my 2 year old iPhone 4.

But I think I want to return it tomorrow. Just wondering if Apple will ask me a reason why I want to return it? Will i need a reason? will they even take it back? I don't know how lenient or strict they are in regards to returning items like an iPhone 5. I understand theres a 14 days window where we can return apple items. Well if anybody can shed some light and input on their experience, it's much appreciated.

Well just in case you want to know, I just opened up my iPhone 5 black, and there's a scuff. I don't know if I can live with it. I'm sure I can, but I can't get over the fact that I spent $916 for a scuffed back. It's not so bad, but I cant get over it.

sorry for the poor image quality, I took it with my iphone 4.

Regarding that scratch/scuff, the same thing happened to mine when I purchased it. What happened: Called AppleCare, set up an appointment at Apple store, they took a 10 second look at it, new iPhone a minute later. Yeah, scratches are unacceptable, but at least they're doing something about it. Regarding returns, I don't know. I never returned any Apple products.

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Ha. If it were GSM, I'd take it off your hands. I am in the market for an unlocked one and don't care about a scuff. Wouldn't be the last one.

I think the price is just fine and cheaper than buying one with a 2-y contract. Do the math!

I have a sealed black 64gb AT&T and 2 open box black&white 64gb AT&T with AppleCare+ and used for a little over a week if you are interested.

I am switching to Verizon and need to sell them.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Regarding that scratch/scuff, the same thing happened to mine when I purchased it. What happened: Called AppleCare, set up an appointment at Apple store, they took a 10 second look at it, new iPhone a minute later. Yeah, scratches are unacceptable, but at least they're doing something about it. Regarding returns, I don't know. I never returned any Apple products.

basically i want another one if possible if they are willing exchange it, but if not, i'll just return it outright. theres really no guarantee its gonna be scuff free until i open the box itself. now i definitely am sold on getting a case for sure now. i've been rocking my iphone 4 naked all along, but the iphone 5 will be a different story.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011

Yeah but, if you get a service plan, even month to month.. How much are you spending over that 2 year period .. Phone + service?

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
basically i want another one if possible if they are willing exchange it, but if not, i'll just return it outright. theres really no guarantee its gonna be scuff free until i open the box itself. now i definitely am sold on getting a case for sure now. i've been rocking my iphone 4 naked all along, but the iphone 5 will be a different story.

Won't be a problem. They should give you a brand new phone, not refurb. They check it to make sure there aren't any scratches on the replacement.

Jusfer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
USA Intermountain West
I have a sealed black 64gb AT&T and 2 open box black&white 64gb AT&T with AppleCare+ and used for a little over a week if you are interested.

I am switching to Verizon and need to sell them.

Thanks for the offer, it is intriguing. However, I was able to fix an issue I had with my i4, so I won't need a replacement at this time.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
alrite people moment of truth baby, moment of truth, going to inspect it right now. i went to the apple store today and exchanged it for same color, no questions asked, they didn't even inspect the phone for scuffing. they brought me out a new phone same color brand new sealed in the clear plastic wrapper.i opened it at the apple store and didnt see anything, but i'm at home right now and going to inspect it under all kinds of lighting conditions and at different angles.

i think i should have gotten the white, but oh well too late now. will give an update in a few.

well the phone looks good so far. no scuffs on the band, and back itself. no scuffs on the corner and edges. overall pretty satisfied. but at the same time i've come to accept that this phone will scuff over time eventually. until my case arrives wednesday this week, i'll sport my iphone 4 for now. now time to play with the phone itself and see if everything works, which i'm sure will be fine.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
You shouldn't have any issues. I returned my iPhone 5 for replacement the next day because of a speck of dust under the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.