Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisneyEcho

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
New Orleans
Did anyone actually try to make a FaceTime call with WiFi off after having the switch toggled to "on" for FaceTime over cellular? I was able to get my iPhone 5 and my wife's to show that FaceTime would be allowed over cellular (had to switch off then back on for mine, while hers needed a full restart -- sleep switch plus Home button -- to show "on") BUT then trying to make a non-WiFi FaceTime call did NOT actually work. It still does work when both our iPhones are connected to WiFi. (We both are on unlimited data plans with AT&T).

So my question is, did anyone actually make a successful FaceTime call over cellular or are you just excited to see it appears to be set to "on"?

Sleepyowl

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
iPhone 5
Unlimited data
AT&T
Los Angeles

Not working after restart the phone, it turn on for a minute but turns it self off after that.

QJMan

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
So, how long until we get a VoiceTime? As in FaceTime but without the video, meaning voice over data. Any predictions?

You could always make a VoiceTime from FaceTime:
use FaceTime with a piece of paper behind the camera :)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Any way you see it, it will turn out to be a marketing g gimmick, the majority of the customer are under a tiered data plan, despite all the improvements and new areas with LTE coverage they know that allowing it will make the ck diners consume more data, depleting your quota and paying for more, more money in, more funds to duct the network and continue making their business case.

What I would line to se is a good technical explanation about how does a customer can abuse the amount of data that it can consume with a fixed maximum network speed?

Give us data roll over and the your data tiered plans would make some sense.

Unlimited has a maximum amount of data as per the connection speed technology Edge, 3G, the difference 4G and LTE, and the next one...

If the evolution really happens, we are supposed to have faster speeds up/down at a lower price.
If those annoying ads continue to pop up, this will become the future cable TV, dead as soon as a new disruptive tech emerges, but we are years away from it to happen.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
So, how long until we get a VoiceTime? As in FaceTime but without the video, meaning voice over data. Any predictions?

VoLTE which is voice over data (since LTE is a data only network) will make this happen. I think verizon is going to launch it by end of 2013 and sprint also. Not sure about ATT or tmobile.

akzero

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
No facetime in Houston

I have iphone 5 unlimited... not able to FaceTime in Houston.

Ozy

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Goodyear, AZ
What's a hard reset? I don't want to erase all data. I did power off / power on and no go here in Phoenix on my iPhone 5

tahquitz

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I was able to make a Facetime call with wifi turned off a few hours ago. But now I only get the AT&T message telling me I need an eligible plan. iPhone5 6.0.1 - Riverside, CA

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Awesome! Working for me! San Jose, Ca! Two unlimited data iphone 5 and two unlimited data iPad 3. All working after reboots.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Did a reboot and works on my iPhone 5 in San Francisco. :cool:
It actually works alot better than when I had a jailbroken 4s with 3g unrestrictor. That was almost unusable but the built in facetime cellular seems to have no difference in quality compared to wifi.

sacpinplayer

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
FaceTime cellular data option turned on for me after reboot. Have not tried it yet. 4S, grandfathered unlimited data plan, Sacramento.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Did reboot, and FaceTime over cellular switch toggled on...FOR 5 SECONDS. Then it, on its own toggled back to off. Switching back on prompted the request to contact AT&T. :(

4S, unlimited, FL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.