Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I find myself absolutely confused about Fernando Torres. Apart from serious injury or obvious loss of fitness, you just don't see a player go from being a world-class player to a mere shadow. It really appears to be something with his head - he's lost his focus or the fire in his belly has gone out. I just can't figure it any other way. I wonder if another move might reignite his hunger and his form.

RDM was such an unlikely hero for Chelsea, I suppose I won't be surprised if he fails to return to the dizzying heights he reached last season. Few managers ever have, so if he is sacked on the basis of the CL performance this season I say it's another ridiculous knee-jerk move by Roman Abramovic. Their league form is sagging a little, of course, but they're still 3rd.

Now there's talk of Thierry Henry returning to Arsenal - again...

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Few managers ever have, so if [Di Matteo] is sacked on the basis of the CL performance this season I say it's another ridiculous knee-jerk move by Roman Abramovic.
In what will surely be described as a ridiculous knee-jerk move, Di Matteo and Chelsea have 'parted company'.

Phil Brown is currently unavailable for comment on the Stamford Bridge vacancy.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
With four basis players missing an under strength Ajax take on Borussia Dortmund tonight in Amsterdam.
Ryan Babel, Kolbeinn Sigthorsson, Thulani Serero and Nicolai Boilesen, cannot play for various reasons, but they do have Toby Alderweireld and Kenneth Vermeer, returning to fitness.
There is no news from Ajax about the final line up but given the importance of this match it is understandable.

Manager of Chelsea is a fleeting thing, gone in the wink of RA phone call.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
RDM should never have taken on the Chelsea job after wining the CL trophy. This was always bound to happen.

It does nothing to solve Chelsea's problem mind, which i think lies with David Luiz, Jon Mikel, Daniel Sturridge, and Fernando Torres.

I hear Guardiola is being lined up next (and he actually seems keen too). Might explain the knee-jeck firing. I'm sure Romanski wouldn't hesitate once he got Pep's OK. Benitez has also expressed interest.

Its quite funny. RDM won the CL trophy and his team is currently 3rd in the EPL gets canned.

Mark Hughes is steering QPR towards relegation and still has his job.

Welcome to Football Management.

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Wooha, didn't see that coming either! I remember Heynckes getting booted at Madrid directly after winning the CL. :D Dat poor guy.

But there is a kind of general logic behind that I've to admit, although a rather heartless one. They 'need' an overhaul - started already in OM - and will get at least on major strike-force-falcao kind of transfer this winter plus a new 'well-respected / reputated' coach. I'd guess Guardiola, too. They wouldn't have sacked RDM if they weren't sure about the latter I'd guess. So the question is will RDM kick out Rogers or AVB or Mancini? :D

Happybunny, I've to admit rooting 100% for Dortmund in comparison to Ajax, so they should be booted, too! :D
Since I fear a loss against City the next game.

Seems like Benitez is lined up....don't know if that's such a smart move.

Last edited:

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I saw this on my twitter feed:

Here's the perfect gift for a WestHam fan:

davidgoldbobbleheadncc3179_264_264_120815094418.jpg

Available here

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Chelsea well and truly spanked. Lucks run out...and no Drogba get out of jail card.

Utd lose too.

EPL losing its hype.

English teams are simply weaker in the current climate.

Utd were always going to find it tough with the team they put out but then even after the defeat, they're still 5 points clear of 2nd place, so they could afford the luxury of giving some of the youngsters a run out.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Just released to the press here.

Dick Advocaat has told the press that the Eredivisie is his main aim.
For Thursdays meeting in the Europa League four player will be rested, Mark van Bommel, Kevin Strootman, Luciano Narsingh and Jetro Williams. All players are not 100% match fit, and in the next three weeks PSV must play Vitesse, Ajax and Twente. This of course is tactics but it has not made him popular with some other trainers here.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ok, I'll play the devils advocate here and ask: after winning the biggest thing existing on club-level (CL) what else does motivate you except money and authentic Chinese food? :D

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
My TV station has picked Schalke vs Piraeus over Dortmund-Ajax for me. Well that's ok as well, but I would have prefered Dortmund... (It will be more interesting as the last time we saw a hugh amount of Schalke and Ajax at the same night, anyway ;) so I have no reason to nag)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
considering how close the first meeting of Dortmund & Ajax was, this is rather surprising...

at least they can finally show on the european level why they have won the german championship twice in a row (ironically they have more points in the bundesliga so far this year than they did last year after the same amount of games)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
(ironically they have more points in the bundesliga so far this year than they did last year after the same amount of games)

Is that so? :D I didn't notice that. Really do hope they manage direct CL qualification (best thing would be in front of Bayern, ha!) to keep the players. My only concern atm is that they lose too many players to the top tier clubs. They're one of the hottest teams right now in Europe (that I can think of).

Erikson can play a decent ball, though. Would love to see him in the Bundesliga.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Erikson can play a decent ball, though. Would love to see him in the Bundesliga.

i think that his market value is already too high for a Bundesliga transfer (i think it's past 12-15 mil euro already):

those squads which could afford him very likely don't need him (Bayern, Dortmund, Schalke all have good attacking midfields already)

and for the others who could use a player of his class he is already too expensive (Stuttgart, Werder, Hannover 96, Leverkusen)

the only option left would be VW Wolfsburg ... and honestly nobody wants them getting him ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.