Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Black/Slate | White/Silver
Chamfered Edges
Separate volume buttons (like iPhone 5/iPad Mini)
Lighting Port
4G
THIN and light as the iPad 2
Retina+ Display
Tactile Touch
8MP iSight Camera
1080 FaceTime Camera
Quadcore A8 Chip
32gb/64gb/128gb

It's the most Amazing iPad yet.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Black/Slate | White/Silver
Chamfered Edges
Separate volume buttons (like iPhone 5/iPad Mini)
Lighting Port
4G
THIN and light as the iPad 2
Retina+ Display
Tactile Touch
8MP iSight Camera
1080 FaceTime Camera
Quadcore A8 Chip
32gb/64gb/128gb

It's the most Amazing iPad yet.

It would be an A7X chip (following the pattern).
Retina+ display??? What is the point in more PPI when you can't tell lol

ggf

macrumors member
May 24, 2008
For the iPad 5 I would like to see Apple go to three models for the ipad: mini standard and Pro

Key feature I want in the Pro is full A4 Sized screen (better performance and battery life would be nice too)

I currrently use my iPad to hold pdf versions of documents so I don't have to as many papers when I travel (which I do a lot)

Problem is that the current screen cannot render an A4 Page adequately. If I display a full page on the screen the text is too small for my 54 yr old eyes (even with specs) and if I render it full size I have to scroll to see the full page neither is a good option. (particularly for documents containing tables formatted for an A4 page)

Just like ibook pro users who pay for the extra ports, processor speed etc I would pay for a bigger screen. I suspect I am not alone.

Given I normally carry a portfolio with the ipad and some papers in it now the additional size would not be a problem. Also more screen real estate would be nice for browsing on the sofa.

Not everyone wants the smallest device possible.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
For the iPad 5 I would like to see Apple go to three models for the ipad: mini standard and Pro

Key feature I want in the Pro is full A4 Sized screen (better performance and battery life would be nice too)

I currrently use my iPad to hold pdf versions of documents so I don't have to as many papers when I travel (which I do a lot)

Problem is that the current screen cannot render an A4 Page adequately. If I display a full page on the screen the text is too small for my 54 yr old eyes (even with specs) and if I render it full size I have to scroll to see the full page neither is a good option. (particularly for documents containing tables formatted for an A4 page)

Just like ibook pro users who pay for the extra ports, processor speed etc I would pay for a bigger screen. I suspect I am not alone.

Given I normally carry a portfolio with the ipad and some papers in it now the additional size would not be a problem. Also more screen real estate would be nice for browsing on the sofa.

Not everyone wants the smallest device possible.

I'm with you! But, I very much doubt that this will ever come to pass. First of all, I don't think there are that many of us reading a lot of PDFs on the iPad (or reading much at all, to be honest). Second, the larger size would make a mess of apps, which are already suffering from having to design for three screen sizes.

I am really keen on Android's aspect ratio, because it enables Asian text to be enlarged and read quite easily (vertical). Unfortunately, this also results in PDFs getting squeezed on the sides for English (horizontal). There really isn't an A4 option out there for us, but I'd say the iPad's aspect ratio is one of the friendliest, and I doubt there is demand to tweak things.

To make the experience the best, you'll probably want to get a nice PDF reader (I prefer iAnnotate, but GoodReader and PDF Expert are great as well) that will enable you to easily zoom in, reduce the margins on the side, and read a PDF at almost the same size as A4.

ggf

macrumors member
May 24, 2008
I'm with you! But, I very much doubt that this will ever come to pass. ...
To make the experience the best, you'll probably want to get a nice PDF reader (I prefer iAnnotate, but GoodReader and PDF Expert are great as well) that will enable you to easily zoom in, reduce the margins on the side, and read a PDF at almost the same size as A4.

Nice to have some support. I use GoodReader and it helps a bit but still not quite what I am after.
i still think it is worth putting the idea out there to see how many others feel the same. I understand the issue around Apps but I wouldn't have a problem with black borders around the apps a la iphone 5. They would still be readable. I suspect with calls for retina displays for the mini and other factors that Apple will need to come up with a solution for the multiple resolution issue anyway. PS I upgraded to an iPhone 5 and i have been pleasantly surprised at how quickly most apps have been updated to the new screen format. I think this problem is sometimes overstated ( on iOS at least)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Depends when it comes out! If it's March, I think the specs will be very similar to iPad 4 but in a lighter, sleeker body. If it's September, we may see more of these items pop up.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
dude, you are missing the usb 3.0 port.
:D

All I want to see in the new ipad 5, hell, any iOS device: a new user interface with new UI enhancements. Since it's all software, they should be able to make it happen.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
It will be slate black, NFC, thinner, 8mp camera, A7X, IOS7, stereo speakers, New smart covers

Hopefully all that :D

Remember now, iphone is the creme de la creme of their stats. well of course ipad will have the beef up version of what the iphone has. Inorder for it to have A7x and iOS 7, it should debut A7 and iOS 7 first on the iPhone 5s

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Being realistic here....

-New thinner, lighter design like iPhone 5 and iPad mini
-A7X chip (quad-core CPU and graphics)
-8MP iSight camera
-Better speakers
-Better battery
-NFC

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Really? Are we really already talking about the iPad 5? The ipad 4 still has the umbilical cord attached and we already the ipad 5 talks start. Wow.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Really? Are we really already talking about the iPad 5? The ipad 4 still has the umbilical cord attached and we already the ipad 5 talks start. Wow.

Some of us are skipping the 4 and waiting for the 5. It's a fair enough topic I think for those of us who are in the market for next year's model. I'm on a ipad2 now and thought about getting the 4, but I can wait it out for another 6 to 10 months.

I did have a ipad3 but returned it as I was not satisfied with it. It had a brilliantly lit screen that was far too yellow and after using it side by side with the 2 for a week, I found it just wasn't worth the extra money (apart from retina).

I'd like to see a difference between the 2 and 4 though...

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think it will have close to the same specs as the iPad 4. Difference will be same design as iPad mini, be around 1-1.2 lbs, have 2gbs of ram, igzo display, 32,64 and 128gb of storage. The iPad 4 is very fast compared with the iPad 3. Don't think there is a need to speed it up much more right now.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Funny that you mention the Retina+ display. Earlier today, I was thinking the exact same thing (seriously). Realistically:
Retina+ (I really hope so, phones are at the 400+ PPI nowadays).
A7(X) quad core cpu and graphics
Slate black and two tone white
Lightning of course
iOS 7
Stylus like the S-Pen

Those specs on it and I'll invest in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.