Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruinselmann

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Germany
Why are the photos taken with the iPhone 5 in the Thanksgiving ad fullscreen?

On my iPhone 5 portrait and landscape photos alike have a thick black bar next to them. The photos (in the native Photos app) look like an app that hasn't been updated to support the iPhone 5 display. Until now I thought that was normal!?

throys

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2011
London
These guys are insane.

Nokia had a commercial showing off the camera on their Lumia, except they used a different camera and doctored the ad. Well, they got a ton of flak for false advertising:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57507051-94/nokia-admits-it-simulated-lumia-camera-demonstration/

These people on here basically want Apple to falsely advertise the iPhone 5 camera because the photos look "yellow"?

Is this the bizarro world?

This just shows you how much noobs are here and that you can NEVER please everyone. Apple ADS just goes to the point which is always what your device can do for you and not some big comparison. I havent seen anY APPLE ADS bashing another company yet.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Actually it is so intuitive that people don't even know about it when they have the phone, calls are just magically easier to hear when using the iPhone 5. The ad attempts to get this knowledge out there as it is something that pretty much every other phone does not do (They do cancelling for the recipient like iPhone 4/4S, but not for your own earpiece.)

Just that it isn't magical at all .. there is quite a few people having problems with the sound quality and an overly ambitous noice cancelling is one of the main suspects in the case.

----------

I havent seen anY APPLE ADS bashing another company yet.

Either that was badly conveyed sarcasm or you must have missed the popular "I am a Mac" commercials?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This threads about the adverts not Samsung bashing again, the carriers put the logos on not samsung or any other maker.
This isn't Samsung bashing (I also posted an HTC phone by the way) but its the OEM's that bend over for the carriers. That's why they have so many freaking models and allow the carrier logos on their hardware. [/OT]

----------

You can easily buy the S3 without any carrier logos. You will eventually be able to be the Droid DNA without logos too.
Unlocked, unsubsidized phone though, right? My subsidized AT&T iPhone has no AT&T logo anywhere on the hardware.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
These ads look like they were done by a different agency than who did the latest iPad ads. Ads which I think are Apple's best ever.

senzung

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
London, UK
Seems like they're making a bug deal about the noise reducing microphone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this technology not-so-new, and don't many other phones use it?

your secretary is hot looking,

which is stuffing your stomach with butterflies everyday facing her boobs,

which is irrelevant to the housewive you married who was equally comparably attractive in the past when she was your secretary.

Deepak1157

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I recognize with the comment about the photos; it was the initial thing I thought too. They all have which artificial light tint in their eyes that you "amateurs" often experience. I might think for a retail they could used top quality photographs. .

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
This isn't Samsung bashing (I also posted an HTC phone by the way) but its the OEM's that bend over for the carriers. That's why they have so many freaking models and allow the carrier logos on their hardware. [/OT]

----------

Unlocked, unsubsidized phone though, right? My subsidized AT&T iPhone has no AT&T logo anywhere on the hardware.

The samsung galaxy note 11 was the image i was refering too, yes the they bend over for the carriers but its the carriers that who want them to have the logos not the makers themselves

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I do not like these ads, make people feel like they are dumb in the way the narrator explain things.

The magic Apple had is gone. They are trying so hard to look like themselves.

thiagos

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
NYC (Manhattan)
I own an iPhone 5 (because of iMessage), let's be honest, the phone has no innovative features compared to the competition but come on Apple! A commercial about noise reduction technology that pretty much exists in every phone? And picture sharing? They must be targeting an older audience here because these things are not new at all...

After years owning everything Apple, I am getting a Lenovo Yoga (touchscreen laptop) until Apple decides to do something a little more up-to-date with their computer line. As for the iPhone, I'm keeping it because of iMessage.

Like I said before, Apple better catch up or they will be left in the dust.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Question is, is that microphone in the 5 somehow better than the 4 or did they just change the shape of the darn thing and they expect people to upgrade?

Even if they haven't upgraded the part why would they need to? It already worked beautifully on the 4. The fact that it reduces background noise by measuring it with another (third)microphone is something you don't see any other phone company doing. And upgrading just because of a microphone? Come on... The iPhone 5 is thinner, lighter, larger screen, twice as fast, better camera.

You're implying that a company should make one phone then stop until they can make an entirely different product that can do the same thing. Example invent the iPhone.... 20 years later invent a drink bottle phone. Pretty sure Apple would die out if they didn't release a new phone each year. Also if you are gonna say oh they expect people to upgrade because of a new shape of a microphone then you can say oh Samsung want people to upgrade because they upped the clock speed in their processor. I could use a bunch of other companies for example but Samsung vs iPhone is the hot topic.

For me I got the iPhone 5 because it was free on my plan which just expired (24 months).

----------

I own an iPhone 5 (because of iMessage), let's be honest, the phone has no innovative features compared to the competition but come on Apple! A commercial about noise reduction technology that pretty much exists in every phone? And picture sharing? They must be targeting an older audience here because these things are not new at all...

After years owning everything Apple, I am getting a Lenovo Yoga (touchscreen laptop) until Apple decides to do something a little more up-to-date with their computer line. As for the iPhone, I'm keeping it because of iMessage.

Like I said before, Apple better catch up or they will be left in the dust.

was the retina macbook pro not much of an up to date thing for you? I'd love to know which planet had done this before Earth!

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
I agree with the comment about the photos; it was the first thing I thought as well. They all have that artificial light tint to them that us "amateurs" often experience. I would think for a commercial they would have used higher quality pics.

Looks like Instagram.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
people need to stop taking pictures and especially video in portrait.

There is nothing at all wrong with photos in 'portrait' mode. The ad is smart to do so since most iPhone users indeed take photos in portrait mode. You're right that videos in portrait are just silly.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The samsung galaxy note 11 was the image i was refering too, yes the they bend over for the carriers but its the carriers that who want them to have the logos not the makers themselves

Ok then how come iPhones don't have carrier logos on the hardware? Because Apple says no thanks whereas Samsung et al do whatever they want. Same with laptops. Go to a Best Buy and most if not all the non-Apple laptops are covered in Intel and Windows stickers. I'm sure Intel would love to have their stickers on Apple laptops too, but thank god Apple says no.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Ok, so why are the pictures in the turkey ad full screen, whereas the pictures I have taken on my 5 have the black bars on the top and bottom?

Zoomed in?

Or pre cropped to be the correct resolution?

Why are the photos taken with the iPhone 5 in the Thanksgiving ad fullscreen?

On my iPhone 5 portrait and landscape photos alike have a thick black bar next to them. The photos (in the native Photos app) look like an app that hasn't been updated to support the iPhone 5 display. Until now I thought that was normal!?

Photos taken while recording video are 16:9.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
My opinion:

The ads are average.

The first one is quite okay, it shows a minor thing that some people might find cool and useful, but the second one shows functionality that is not exciting at all, does not differentiate the iPhone from other phones and is simply boring.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Ok then how come iPhones don't have carrier logos on the hardware? Because Apple says no thanks whereas Samsung et al do whatever they want. Same with laptops. Go to a Best Buy and most if not all the non-Apple laptops are covered in Intel and Windows stickers. I'm sure Intel would love to have their stickers on Apple laptops too, but thank god Apple says no.

think you missed the point, i agree that manufactures of other phones and other PC type hardware have stickers and carrier logos. my orignial statment was when ever a story is brought up, Samsung is always brought into it. like this story for the Adverts.

This is an article on the adverts not who has the most logos on show.

your fanboys showing

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I just don't like the feel of these.. I know they aren't snobbish but the orchestra one comes off that way.

Actually the one with the orchestra struck me as funny. Don't some performance halls just jam :p cell signals during events? That solves the whole issue of cellphone disruptions, especially when an event is to be recorded professionally.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Clutter

Why does it matter? Don't you want to know what network you're connected to?

I know what network I am connected to. It is the same one I send $200 a month. It's not like it changes when service gets spotty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.