Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
My camera lens has always been dirty and recently there's a purple thing blocking the lens.... Im so pissed! Even if Apple is willing to exchange my phone to a new one, i got a glass screen protector, home button sticker and ghost armor installed!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 431

Guyver423

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
CA
I had something similar on my iphone5. There was a perma smudge on the camera lense that appeared after a couple weeks. Went to a Apple store and got it exchanged.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i had a speck of dust under the camera lens and brought it to apple. they had it cleaned out within 5 minutes. bring it to them to see if its dust of a smudge on the lens. if they cant clean it out, they will replace it.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I had the exact same problem, although not quite as bad. I got my iPhone exchanged at a store. Do it!

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Doubt that very much.

Why don't you take the backplate off and see if there is any dust on the lens or smudges on the inside?

Eh? hahha. He has a 5.

Anyways, I just sent my phone in for the SAME issue, although mine was 2 specs, not a ****ing platoon:eek:. You will get it replaced

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Will they give me gift card coz I got bunch of protectors installed?

Well I had a custom case made out of 1" thick 24K gold and it is permanently attached to the iphone. My home button is a bit pushy. I have to kinda push it for it to do anything-needs replacement. Should I wait until gold goes up a bit so Apple has to reimburse me more or go in now and take my hit as it's at $1729/OZ?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Spigen AND Ghost Armor have pretty decent CS.

Contact them and see if they can send you a replacement. Let them know your situation and you might get lucky.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I have had my iPhone 5 since launch day and just a couple of days ago 2 purple spots, exactly like the one in your photo appeared on the camera. I brought it in today and they replaced the phone with a new one no questions asked. A quick google of this issue reveals many with the same issue and for sake of comparison I have had my last two phones, the iPhone 4 and 3G each for 2 years and NEVER got anything under the lens so obviously there is a design issue OR quality control during construction issue.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Here is a zoomed (the specs are a bit smaller in the full resolution image but still obvious on a solid background) example of what got my iPhone 5 replaced...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 93

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Well I had a custom case made out of 1" thick 24K gold and it is permanently attached to the iphone. My home button is a bit pushy. I have to kinda push it for it to do anything-needs replacement. Should I wait until gold goes up a bit so Apple has to reimburse me more or go in now and take my hit as it's at $1729/OZ?

i need to know this as well!

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
And I have them too

Well here we are - I was taking pictures of two birds that were very high up in the sky - I got them (one looks like a black capped chickadee) as you can see the two small specs in the bottom center of the picture are birds but it also showed the problem that stucks out like a sore thumb - large dark somewhat circular smudges:

resized.jpg

Original photo unedited:
http://madsound.dyndns.org/cam/original.JPG

I carefully cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth but the problem persists:

afterresized.jpg

Original photo unedited:
http://madsound.dyndns.org/cam/after.jpg

I guess I'll have to head to Apple for this one. I use the camera a lot.

Last edited:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Well here we are - I was taking pictures of two birds that were very high up in the sky - I got them (one looks like a black capped chickadee) as you can see the two small specs in the bottom center of the picture are birds but it also showed the problem that stucks out like a sore thumb - large dark somewhat circular smudges:

Original photo unedited:
http://madsound.dyndns.org/cam/original.JPG

I carefully cleaned the lens with a microfiber cloth but the problem persists:

Original photo unedited:
http://madsound.dyndns.org/cam/after.jpg

I guess I'll have to head to Apple for this one. I use the camera a lot.

Yep. It's dust in the lens. They will replace it

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
as i stated, bring it to apple. they will clean out the lens in 5 minutes. worked fine for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.