Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I upgraded to the mini, and if that hadn't have been released I would have bought the 4th gen. I didn't need to replace it, and it actually did everything that i needed it to. However there were two things about it that really frustrated me. First, it wasn't upgradable to the newest iOS version, which made it feel obsolete. Second and this was the bigger reason if I'm honest, the keyboard was laggy. It would remember what I had typed, but would often be a word or two behind, which would end the flow of typing which is seriously frustrating. So I had decided to upgrade when new iPads came out.

MacIke

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2003
The Frigid Wasteland of MN
My wife and I both have iPad 1s. Her's is 16 and mine is 64gb. Her only complaint is lack of space.

I use mine everyday and love it. I am planning on getting an iPad Mini LTE and use it even more.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I have the ipad 1. Considering either a Nexus 10, Asus Vivo Tab RT or iPad 4.

I havent upgraded through this time because iOS is so limited. Recently I found that Android better suits my needs, but the 16:10 aspect ratio of the Nexus 10 makes it really uncomfortable to use and read web pages and PDF on portrait.

Ios is really really lacking. Its like a 2 year old OS. I need more power (im talking software, not hardware).

Doesnt matter if its Ipad 4 or Ipad 10. As long as iOS stays the same theres no real difference between an Ipad 1 and an Ipad 10.

What more can you do on an Ipad 4 that I cant do on my Ipad 1? And Im talking about real productivity, and not useless stuff like facetime, taking pictures, etc.

Thats why Im looking into something more powerful.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have the ipad 1. Considering either a Nexus 10, Asus Vivo Tab RT or iPad 4.

I havent upgraded through this time because iOS is so limited. Recently I found that Android better suits my needs, but the 16:10 aspect ratio of the Nexus 10 makes it really uncomfortable to use and read web pages and PDF on portrait.

Ios is really really lacking. Its like a 2 year old OS. I need more power (im talking software, not hardware).

Doesnt matter if its Ipad 4 or Ipad 10. As long as iOS stays the same theres no real difference between an Ipad 1 and an Ipad 10.

What more can you do on an Ipad 4 that I cant do on my Ipad 1? And Im talking about real productivity, and not useless stuff like facetime, taking pictures, etc.

Thats why Im looking into something more powerful.

Sure, I'd like to see some updates to iOS, but I honestly think that the only tablets that are substantially more powerful than an ipad right now are the Windows ones, and those come at a cost. A cost in stability, a cost in battery life, a cost in polish of the OS. They make better work machines, but worse appliances.

Don't underestimate how big a difference the extra speed of the new iPads play in how productive they are. A lot of what feels like a chore on a ipad 1 is not so much the OS but the time it takes to do it. A lot of that barrier goes away on the newer models.

cakbar

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Still using a day 1 16GB Wifi + 3g. I've considered upgrading to 2, 3 and 4 but have held back each time since I was still getting everything I needed from my 1. It is definitely starting to feel it's age though. Crashes occasionally, typing lags, etc... If I don't cave and get the 4, then definitely will get the 5. I'm hoping the 5 is a bigger version of the mini as far as form factor, but with the power of the 4. I don't think I'll sell the 1 though. It's been a friend for too long.

fenskezen

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted

My parents (in their 70's) have an iPad 1 that they got on release day. They still think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Their first computer anything. I asked my dad if he wanted to upgrade to a newer model and he thought I lost my mind. Why would I replace a perfectly good iPad.... :)

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If you look on ebay and check the auctions that have just ended, lots of them have sold for around that price.

Yeah... but did the deal ever go through? I tried selling my iPad 1st gen and the buyer never coughed up. Most of the bidders looked suspect. I would think most first gen's that actually sell probably go for a lot less.

iOS 5 pissed me off as far as performance goes. I JB'd the iPad to turn off multi-tasking and it helps a little and hurts a little. Before buying a new one, I'll just use work-arounds like Google Music to free up space.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
My girlfriend has a first-gen and is going to put one more year into it and get the (presumably) revised iPad 5.

For her, it has esentially been an email and Netflix terminal so neither application would have improved much under the later models.

Those first-gen models were built like tanks.

You must be the long lost twin I always hear that I have.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Anybody else considering squeezing one more generation out of their iPad 1? I was considering an iPad 4 but then realized my iPad 1 still works GREAT, battery still strong too...and for what I use it for (mostly web, movies, some games) perfect. Sure could use a slight speed boost and retina is NICE but not $650 worth it nice (gotta get 32). So I decided to wait one more generation for refreshed full size iPad or maybe retina MINI...it's kinda fun seeing how much life I can squeeze out of this iPad...going on 3 flawless years, used everyday

Anybody else looking to squeeze more life outta iPad 1 or even 2??..Thanks!

I thought about it but the Mini is what I've been waiting for. So I'm giving the iPad 1 to my nephew :) But had the mini not come out, I would not have bought a new iPad. My iPad 1 is in really great condition also.

Cdumitru78

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
Great thread, I too have an iPad 1. I got a Mini as a present, but I still find myself using the original quite a bit. Works really well, no problems at all, and except a few tiny screen scratches it is in immaculate shape. Mini is a great step forward though, faster and much much easier to carry around.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Still daily use here

I bought the base iPad back when they first came out to see how I liked it. Since then, I've found it to be my main device so when the mini was announced I decided to go for more storage and cellular as an upgrade. I love the original and will keep using it in the house (it sits perfectly on my orbital trainer so I can watch films while working out) but for on the road at think the mini I just bought will be a big improvement.

I'm now actively removing computers from the house. My wife is getting a mini for Christmas so she can retire her laptop and my MBA only gets used when necessary (rare at home, all day at work) and the idea of going to my computer desk to browse the Internet or pop off some email seem so arcane now. You can see why Microsoft is scared ******** by these things that they had to release Windows Pot8o.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Anybody else considering squeezing one more generation out of their iPad 1? I was considering an iPad 4 but then realized my iPad 1 still works GREAT, battery still strong too...and for what I use it for (mostly web, movies, some games) perfect. Sure could use a slight speed boost and retina is NICE but not $650 worth it nice (gotta get 32). So I decided to wait one more generation for refreshed full size iPad or maybe retina MINI...it's kinda fun seeing how much life I can squeeze out of this iPad...going on 3 flawless years, used everyday

Anybody else looking to squeeze more life outta iPad 1 or even 2??..Thanks!
I'd say if your iPad is serving you well, you can enjoy it for at least another year. That's the smart thing to do.

Here's my example:

I am _still_ enjoying my 2002 Titanium PowerBook G4. It's a terrific testimony to what Apple Computers Inc. (Apples Original Name) created and the exceptional quality of that era.

Just think, the only component I've ever replaced is the battery. Everything else is original. It's also important to note that when new, it logged thousands of hours as my work machine.

One year later I upgraded as usual, yet I was so impressed with the G4 I decided to keep it. Every year since then I take it out once a month or so for writing & web surfing. Tasks it performs every bit as well as it did when new.

Even more amazing is it's "like new" cosmetic appearance. That after traveling the world with me.

Oh how I wish Apple would produce that same quality today.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I found my iPad 1 to be too large and heavy. The 2 made some great inroads in size/weight so it was more hold able. For me however a smaller tablet was the answer and so apple introduced the mini, I couldn't wait. :D

I think the iPad 1 is showing its age in that sense where its still a capable tablet but the iPad 4 offers great performance and a retina screen. If you want a smaller form factor the mini is a great choice

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I'd say if your iPad is serving you well, you can enjoy it for at least another year. That's the smart thing to do.

Here's my example:

I am _still_ enjoying my 2002 Titanium PowerBook G4. It's a terrific testimony to what Apple Computers Inc. (Apples Original Name) created and the exceptional quality of that era.

Just think, the only component I've ever replaced is the battery. Everything else is original. It's also important to note that when new, it logged thousands of hours as my work machine.

One year later I upgraded as usual, yet I was so impressed with the G4 I decided to keep it. Every year since then I take it out once a month or so for writing & web surfing. Tasks it performs every bit as well as it did when new.

Even more amazing is it's "like new" cosmetic appearance. That after traveling the world with me.

Oh how I wish Apple would produce that same quality today.
I agree. I have my iDevces on top of my Powermac G5.

Amazing how the G5 still functions fine today. :)

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
My wife and I are still rocking iPad 1s, purchased the day they were announced. Both used daily as Sonos controllers and for other more common tasks like watching Nashville :eek: (she, not me)

At this point I'm comfortable waiting to upgrade. Lagginess of the device and memory bound problems such as crashes in Mail could push me over the edge.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
I still own the iPad 1st gen. Stopped using it as much when I bought a 2010 macbook air last year from the refurb store. I still occasionally use it as an ereader or a second screen with Air Display, so I see no need to upgrade as it still does what i use it for.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Had my iPad 1 since launch day and still love it. The stores (iTunes, Apps, iBooks) all seem to crash and Safari’s a bit flakey but I’ll live with for a bit longer. I like to get three years out of hardware; the next upgrade will feel huge.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I suspect that if it had more than 256 mb of ram :mad:, more people would still be using it. Safari checkerboarding drove me crazy about it. My office manager has no qualms with it, though.

It's basically an internet appliance. People usually replace appliances when they quit working.

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah... but did the deal ever go through? I tried selling my iPad 1st gen and the buyer never coughed up. Most of the bidders looked suspect. I would think most first gen's that actually sell probably go for a lot less.

I'd be a little surprised if the 100+ sales that show as closed in the last month didn't happen. It's really here nor there. I offered it for sale on facebook, a friend contacted me and said she was interested. She did end up negotiating me down to $275, but only after I said "Really, you don't even want to haggle".

I also made it very clear that she couldn't update the operating system anymore. It's all on her now.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Definitely! iPad 1 works perfectly fine, and I didn't upgrade to iOS 4 for various reasons. Don't plan on upgrading for a long time. I got the 64GB 3G model so it's top of its class and works great! I have a Note 2 and haven't used the iPad ONCE since I got it (for those wondering if it can replace a tablet, it can ... and it has Adobe Flash!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.