Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bronze84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Right then. I've finally got my iPhoto library all nicely organised. All my events have keywords etc.

When I add a newly imported photo to an event in my library the keywords disappear for that event but are still there for the individual photos in the event (if that makes sense). How can I stop iPhoto from deleting my keywords? I normally just drag the newly imported event/photo to the preferred event folder if that helps :-/

Cheers

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I haven't tested this yet, but my initial understanding is this.

I don't believe you can attach Keywords to an Event. Keywords can only be attached to individual photos. If you are looking at an Event, and see Keywords in panel - then I think is happening is that an individual image in the Event is selected - and you are seeing this image's Keywords.

When you say the Keywords for an Event are deleted, I'm thinking it's just that none of the images in the Event are selected.

Try using Smart Albums instead of Events. A Smart Album using Keywords as it's criteria will update itself as you import photos and add keywords. You won't have to drag and drop anything... it just updates itself in real time. I don't use iPhoto much anymore (moved on to Lightroom) but when I did I rarely used Events. If I had to use Events to find a photo, it was only because my organizing system had failed. It was because the photo I was looking for had not been keyworded properly and/or dragged into a project album (I use both albums and smart albums).

Good Luck. Noodle around a bit with info in the first bit. If that doesn't clear it up post back.

Bronze84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Many thanks for the detailed response. I like the ease of using events to manage my photos so ideally don't want to go down the smart folder route.

Let's say I import 50 photos and rename the event. I then go to the keywords tab on the right and enter the keywords for that event. The keywords will stay there until I edit the event by adding another photo, then they disappear and I have to type them in all over again :-/

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Many thanks for the detailed response. I like the ease of using events to manage my photos so ideally don't want to go down the smart folder route.

Let's say I import 50 photos and rename the event. I then go to the keywords tab on the right and enter the keywords for that event. The keywords will stay there until I edit the event by adding another photo, then they disappear and I have to type them in all over again :-/

That's the thing. I don't see how you can add keywords to an 'Event'. I think you are seeing keywords for just on image in the Event.

Try this.... to keep things manageable ... import just 3 or so images, and keyword the Event. I think when you look at the images you will see that only one image has the keywords, probably the key image (which is not the same thing as a keyword).

The thing about Smart Albums is that you only have to set them up once. After that you don't have to touch them, except to keyword your images as you import them. Easy Peasy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.