Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Has anyone any experience with last years OWC sales? Had two Kingston hyper X ssds in my cart yesterday as amazon were selling the 120gb for $69 but didn't go through after reading not much about them in a Mac Pro. I was wondering if the OWC brand is currently worth the $50 extra currently or if they will discount them. Another thing their catalogue for winter shows the 120gb as 119 but the website has it as 127, was sure ssds generally go down in price, but when I called them up on it they said prices go up and down.....perhaps they'll come down the $8 to the catalogue price which would a pretty crap discount akin to what apple usually offer...so if anyone remembers if they had any decent discounts on memory and ssds last year thanks. I do think it is worth some extra to buy from an apple centric company but also value my $ :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There really is no good reason to pay extra for an OWC SSD. They use the same controllers and NAND chips many other companies use. There is nothing really "Mac specific" about SSDs.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
understand there is nothing MAC specific about ssds but OWC seem to put a lot of effort into the MAC sector so their own SSD's should be better tested on the MAC platform than the likes of other well known brand names. The Kingston HyperX i looked up had about 200 reviews most positive but very few from MAC owners. Just really trying to find out if they had a good sale on SSD's and memory last year.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
understand there is nothing MAC specific about ssds but OWC seem to put a lot of effort into the MAC sector so their own SSD's should be better tested on the MAC platform than the likes of other well known brand names.

I would not bet on that. They do nothing to the drives after getting the Sandforce firmware (or at least nothing of consequence). So you might as well be getting a slow Kingston. I originally thought as you do that they MUST because they are Apple centric. Well, if you are sold on Sandforce get an Intel 520 instead. Cheaper, better warranty, faster, and has better firmware and NAND. I own both 3G OWC (kinda crap slow), 6G OWC (OK) 1 died, Intel 520 (no problems super fast and stable).

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks, I'll have a look at the Intel 520, warranty of course is important. and I guess the extra 2 years on the Intel weighs heavy in it's favor.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
It's very fast and has worked fine so far (2 months).

Thanks I ordered one from B&H for 120 down from 140 at the moment which seems reasonable enough. didn't think it would be discounted further tomorrow.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Not much of an offering regarding memory....prices no diff then last week....also ssds are actually dearer then the winter/holiday catalog.....am I missing something...guess its back to amazon, I don't think the support can be worth the extra cost...an rma is an rma...!

I can pick up an agility 3 240gb ssd for 120 in the local store tomorrow...OWC 120 is 'still' 125 sigh...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.