Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0cked

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Just bought my first Apple product from a friend and it happens to be a Black Macbook 2007 with upgraded RAM and HDD. So far it's pretty nice. Just need to get software for it and break the habit of trying to double click with the touch pad. :rolleyes:

TheBigL

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Just Purchased!

I found a good deal on a used Black Macbook (Late 2007). 2.0 Ggz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM (will upgrade to 6GB), gonna pop in my 120GB SSD. This baby will sore compared to my 1st Gen. Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 lol.

I bought this as an interim computer until the new Mac Mini or iMac comes out. My original Mac Mini which even I'm amazed still suits my needs (albeit at a slower rate) is starting to give out as it simply can not keep up with the innovation on the Web. This was actually the case like 4 years ago haha.

I will update as soon as I receive the new macbook. Should have it here early this next week. :)

nalimOwl

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Virginia
Just brought my black Macbook (2006 1,1) back to life this weekend after being a paper weight for two years. Not sure why it wasn't booting or what I did that got it running again. I'm upgrading it to 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, and replacing the battery next week (or whenever this stuff comes in the mail :)). My main machine is a 2010 MBP. Not sure what I'll do with the now functioning black Macbook but I can't imagine getting rid of it!

MacRuben

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
BlackBook Club.

I just got a Blackbook this past week, the late '07 model. It also has the broken palm rest issue, hopefully I can take it to Apple store and they'll fix it (nearest one is 45 miles away or so, don't know when I'll get a chance). The battery-removal button is broken also, it doesn't work at all. Any ideas if Apple would fix that?
I've been looking for a case for it, as the back has a few scratches and I don't want it to get more. Any suggestions? Is it compatible with cases for the white MacBook?

Thanks

macfrik

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
WOW I cant believe this thread is still active. I am still using my Black MacBook as a back up machine that stays beside my bed to use whenever I feel like browsing the web before bedtime.

This used to be my primary laptop on the go, but since the Retina MacBook Pro, this has been put aside for quite some time :(

MacRuben

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Answering my own question: Research shows it's compatible with early white MacBook cases, NOT UNIBODY (which are a dime in a dozen, I picked up the iPearl).

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I still have my original 2006 black macbook; Core Duo.

For being a first-generation product, it has had no problems whatsoever, except for the battery.

After I got my Macbook Pro, my old Blackbook sat around as a paperweight for a while, but late last year I finally got a new battery for it and did a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

Still runs pretty good... though it's not my main machine.

pencilpieces

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
new here

Brand new forum user here.

I've had one of these since Sept 2007.
I'm on 10.4.11.

What do I need to do to upgrade? Everywhere seems to frown upon 10.4.11.... And I can't even download the latest version of iTunes, seeing as 10.4.11 doesn't support it.

Now I DO love my black macbook. faithful companion through uni and beyond.
So my apologies for being so clueless.

But what next? A cd? where from?

ps, ok, i admit it, i know naaaaathing about how this thing works on the inside.

Merci beaucoup

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
still rocking mine. purchased Oct 2008. Upgraded to 4GB ram and at this exact moment I am installed snow leopard on my new 180GB SSD. Can't wait to get this baby loaded and rocking. Its not my main system anymore, but works great at the race track and for mobile photo work.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Always did want a BlackBook, even though I think the white MacBook's were more "Apple-ish". They're getting pretty cheap these days. I figure once my eMac hits the wall in terms of usability (and I must admit, it grows closer to it with every new app/OS update or website upgrade :() I'll see if I can't snag one of these and drop SL on it. A white one would be nice as well, again just because I've always thought white Apple notebooks were very classy, but there's just something about the BlackBook that sets it apart.

Maybe I'll end up PM'ing one of the posters in this thread sometime to make an offer. :D

hanskristjan

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
I also have a MacBook Black and it's great. I only have one problem with the LCD as it is a little worn out and tends to go black from time to time. Fortunately it's not a huge problem, because i can connect my mac to an external LCD (e.g. an LCD TV etc). Regarding the latter, I'm hoping to use my mac with the lid closed, but i simply can't manage to find a solution. There's a lot of replies in this matter for any other mac but the black one and i was hoping maybe on of you guys could help me out? I've tried Caffeine, InsomniaX, NoSleep and none of them work properly. They either do nothing or my mac crashes. Any ideas?

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Just upgraded my BlackBook to a WD Black 750gb 7200 RPM drive because my Hitachi 500gb crashed. Nice to have my baby up and running again, even though I lost everything :-(

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
last week pick one up for $150 ,2006 ,core duo,put my 128 gb ssd and max out the ram 2gb, is not that bad at all ,is faster that my girlfriends last year vaio with all that sony crapware.
too bad snow leopard is it.i miss mountain lion
i may keep it for travellling, looks very slick and unique.

aixporter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2009
just picked up a like new early 2008 macbook (black) for $500 on eBay for my brother as a christmas gift. hope he likes it! :D

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Anyone with a late 2007 running a Seagate Momentus XT 750gb with 8gb ssd cache?
Just curious if it runs problem free on the Black Macbook...

Cheers!

loweenm

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Thank You!!!!

Hey Peeps,

Just want to say thank you! I stumbled on this thread while looking for something else. My black macbook (still primary computer) was on it's LAST legs, and I don't have money for a new machine! But I saw so many people putting in SSD with great results, that I rolled the dice...and won! I got a Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State for $94 at Beach Camera, and just put it in! Running Snow Lion 10.6.8 and works like a champ!

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.