Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switching from iPhone? What comment do you get most from your iFriends?

• You will be back!

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I just unfriended you!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Steve is rolling in his grave!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Et tu, brute?

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • You are iDead to me.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
If I decided to leave the iphone,I would go for a windows phone.

I feel so dirty.

129081443532547986.jpg

Timechaser

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
:eek: NOooooo.. then ~ Whyyyyyy? :confused: :confused:

It was almost like announcing that I no longer believed in GOD!

My husband was the first to protest, he even called my sister to see if there was something going on with me that he needed to know about :rolleyes:

I have about a dozen friends, co-workers, and family members who are all Apple Heads because of me and my husband (our home is full of iStuff).

Long story/short - everyone was thinking that since I had anxiously waited for the iPhone 5, checked it out and returned it for a Galaxy S3 then there had to be something really special about the GS3 and they did'nt want me to be left behind.

So in the end they did there on research (aka ~ You Tube) and they have all passed on the iPhone 5 and either stayed with there old iPhones or picked up a GS3 or like my husband decided on the Note 2 - So far every one is happy.

We are all still Apple Heads but have decided against drinking the "New iPhone" juice - at least this go around :)

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I would love to get a 5, but my 4s is still working just fine. I will admit to carrying it around sans case and being deliberately rough with it though, perhaps subconsciously looking for an excuse to upgrade to the 5.

Damn thing is so resilient.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
:eek: NOooooo.. then ~ Whyyyyyy? :confused: :confused:

It was almost like announcing that I no longer believed in GOD!

My husband was the first to protest, he even called my sister to see if there was something going on with me that he needed to know about :rolleyes:

I have about a dozen friends, co-workers, and family members who are all Apple Heads because of me and my husband (our home is full of iStuff).

Long story/short - everyone was thinking that since I had anxiously waited for the iPhone 5, checked it out and returned it for a Galaxy S3 then there had to be something really special about the GS3 and they did'nt want me to be left behind.

So in the end they did there on research (aka ~ You Tube) and they have all passed on the iPhone 5 and either stayed with there old iPhones or picked up a GS3 or like my husband decided on the Note 2 - So far every one is happy.

We are all still Apple Heads but have decided against drinking the "New iPhone" juice - at least this go around :)

Pretty much same for me: I got the 4S last year but was expecting a bit more than, well, Siri. Figured the next one surely would wow me. But nope... the iPhone 5 did not impress me all that much. Heck last fall I hoped the rumored teardrop iPhone 5 would be a reality. Alas, no.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think more and more people are becoming disenfranchised with Apple.

The court cases, Steve Jobs being gone, the perceived minimal iPhone 5 changes, the failure of Apple Maps (and the fallout of their attempts to purge Google in general), iOS still not showing anything dramatically new, the firing of Forestall (which is as much of an admittance as you're going to get from Apple that iOS is in need of change)... probably other things too; then conversely, the rise and global recognition of Samsung's efforts with the S3 and the Note II (mis-stepping here and there, but still innovating both software and hardware wise)... EDIT: May I also add: the abandonment of sorts of the iPad 3rd Gen; the overpriced Macbook Retinas (particularly with the 13"); the overpriced iPad Mini with old hardware...

And something about Apple's keynotes this year just feel disingenuous, insecure, like they're trying really really hard to impress you. Tim Cook's "This stuff is just jaw-dropping!" felt so horribly forced. I think people are starting to see cracks too in their marketing, with the blatant false claims of "world's thinnest phones" (we live in a fact checking world now), and the conflicting marketing that anything greater than the 4" iPhone cannot be used one handed, but the iPad Mini can (that's what they say in their own videos).

They've lost their charm, in some ways. That's just my observation.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
They've lost their charm, in some ways. That's just my observation.
I tend to agree, but still have hope they can pull off another homerun or two.

One thing I am noticing with Android are a bunch of little things that just make me go, "now why the heck didn't iOS do something similar??!!"

Take auto-correct. I can't count the number of times I have had to re-correct something that auto-correct in iOS kept wanting to change. Then, maybe, after some undetermined number of attempts it might just remember you want to spell it that way. Meanwhile make one true spelling mistake and it remembers it forever, including case (dOn't asK me how I know). Why not offer to save a corrected word like Android does? It's not complicated to see the word "save" and to tap on it.

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I tend to agree, but still have hope they can pull off another homerun or two.

One thing I am noticing with Android are a bunch of little things that just make me go, "now why the heck didn't iOS do something similar??!!"

Take auto-correct. I can't count the number of times I have had to re-correct something that auto-correct in iOS kept wanting to change. Then, maybe, after some undetermined number of attempts it might just remember you want to spell it that way. Meanwhile make one true spelling mistake and it remembers it forever, including case (dOn't asK me how I know). Why not offer to save a corrected word like Android does? It's not complicated to see the word "save" and to tap on it.

Michael

100% agree.

In fact, the abysmal typing experience was one of the main factors that drove me away from the iPhone. The horror... so many frustrations... so... many...

Don't forget, the iOS keyboard gave birth to the internet phenomenon known as "Damn You iPhone Auto Correct." And till this day, there has been no major improvements or additions. Five plus years.... and counting...

----------

still have hope they can pull off another homerun or two.

Michael

I hope so too. Tim Cook is obviously not above shaking the norm. It'll be interesting to see what happens next, especially with Ive at the helm of software now. Will we only get cosmetic changes? Or will there be more to iOS 7? There's always hope...

I really wanted to pick up a Retina 13" this year. Was not expecting the price to be that high. Decided against it and will stick it out with my 2011 MBA 13" which I pair with a Thunderbolt Display at home. :)

I hope next year will bring a larger SSD, and/or a lower price point for the Retina 13". In general, I still love what they're doing with Macs.

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
100% agree.

In fact, the abysmal typing experience was one of the main factors that drove me away from the iPhone. The horror... so many frustrations... so... many...

Don't forget, the iOS keyboard gave birth to the internet phenomenon known as "Damn You iPhone Auto Correct." And till this day, there has been no major improvements or additions. Five plus years.... and counting...

----------

I hope so too. Tim Cook is obviously not above shaking the norm. It'll be interesting to see what happens next, especially with Ive at the helm of software now. Will we only get cosmetic changes? Or will there be more to iOS 7? There's always hope...

I really wanted to pick up a Retina 13" this year. Was not expecting the price to be that high. Decided against it and will stick it out with my 2011 MBA 13" which I pair with a Thunderbolt Display at home. :)

I hope next year will bring a larger SSD, and/or a lower price point for the Retina 13". In general, I still love what they're doing with Macs.

To tack on to the autocorrect bit, I had my 4S trained to a T. Finally after about six months or so. Then iOS 6 hit and for the life of me I can't write "were". It keeps writing "we're". Among MANY other examples. Seriously? Why did something change in iOS 6??

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
To tack on to the autocorrect bit, I had my 4S trained to a T. Finally after about six months or so. Then iOS 6 hit and for the life of me I can't write "were". It keeps writing "we're". Among MANY other examples. Seriously? Why did something change in iOS 6??

Oh that is one of my favorites. Someone decided "we're" is more popular than "were" and that is what we get. What gets me is when you correct it but forget to hit the little "x" and it goes and re-corrects it yet again (grrrrr).

Michael

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Being an iPhone user since it debuted in 2007 my friends and family are shocked I am trying out a Nexus 4. So I thought I would ask what kind of comments others are getting about it. :)

Michael

I think you missed a poll selection that says "I'm past the age where anyone gives a F which phone I'm using." Lol, just saying.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think you missed a poll selection that says "I'm past the age where anyone gives a F which phone I'm using." Lol, just saying.

Well then I am glad I am NOT past that age yet! ;)

That said iMessage is a big deal to some people. First world problems I know....

Michael

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Well then I am glad I am NOT past that age yet! ;)

That said iMessage is a big deal to some people. First world problems I know....

Michael

Hehe, I was just having some fun! I used to get into all kinds of e-wars with my family, but the last couple of years it seems no one has really cared much what we use.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I've stopped using auto-correct on my Android phone for about a year now. I just find there are too many instances where I make up acronyms that auto-correct keeps wanting to change. Saving them is not feasible since I keep using new ones as I talk about new things. Eventually, I decided that I would rather have the device type what I tell it to type instead of what it thinks I want to type. The other thing I found was that if I make a typo and not notice, people will most likely understand what I really mean to type. If auto-correct tries to guess at what I want to type, sometimes the meaning is totally changed as evident of the various humourous auto-correct blogs.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I too have an iPad, macs, and ATVs. It seems a challenge to lose the iPhone and bring an outsider into the mix.

The issue with facetime and imessage, though, is that once you don't have that on your always-with-you phone it kind of defeats the purpose of it (well, iMessage mostly).

Today was my first full day of using my AT&T sim in my Nexus 4 (had been using a backup tmob sim). Trying to continue using iMessage was a chore--and confusing to those messaging me. I ended up with messages on my mac when I went for lunch that I didn't know about. I ended up using the hot-spot on my N4 to feed internet to my iPhone 4S when I wasn't in a wifi area. I need to cut that cord.

My girlfriend at least is already using whatsapp, so at least that hurdle is over. I just wish whatsapp was integrated with regular SMS so I didn't have to use more than one app. Oh, the full suite of "real"emoji is a big plus for whatsapp. (Why can't we have normal, non-androidized, emoji that is easy to access right from the normal keyboard?)

Michael

I made this same mistake too. All of my "iPhone" friends were sending me messaging going to my ipad and idle iPhone haha

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
All of my friends thought I was crazy at first seeing as I got my S3 prior to the release of the iPhone 5. However now that everyone sees the iPhone 5 is just a longer iPhone 4/S they all want to switch now(and some have) :cool:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I've stopped using auto-correct on my Android phone for about a year now. I just find there are too many instances where I make up acronyms that auto-correct keeps wanting to change. Saving them is not feasible since I keep using new ones as I talk about new things. Eventually, I decided that I would rather have the device type what I tell it to type instead of what it thinks I want to type. The other thing I found was that if I make a typo and not notice, people will most likely understand what I really mean to type. If auto-correct tries to guess at what I want to type, sometimes the meaning is totally changed as evident of the various humourous auto-correct blogs.

Which keyboard you are using? Most android keyboards have multi-words prediction + current typed characters in the selection window (i.e. you can select any of the predicted words or stick with your current typed characters). I don't see how you have issue with it. Much better than the inflexible (and sometimes crazy) iOS keyboard imo.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Which keyboard you are using? Most android keyboards have multi-words prediction + current typed characters in the selection window (i.e. you can select any of the predicted words or stick with your current typed characters). I don't see how you have issue with it. Much better than the inflexible (and sometimes crazy) iOS keyboard imo.

When I was using my HTC Desire Z, I used the physical keyboard. I got tired of having to reselect the word that I actually typed because auto-correct chose something else.

On my SGS3, I use Thumb Keyboard. I turned of auto-correct, auto-spacing and auto anything on this as well. I want my phone to register what I type and not what it thinks I may want to type. I also hate auto-spacing. I want to specifically enter the spaces myself. I don't even use the predicted words because the predicted words take up screen space. On my old phone, this not an issue because I have a physical keyboard. On my SGS3, I have to use a screen keyboard which takes up screen space. Adding an extra line for predicted words take up even more screen space. My keyboard already takes up 2/3s or more of my screen when I'm typing. I like to see the stuff I already typed and other stuff around it as I type.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Honestly people are most shocked because because I own lots of Apple products. I didn't actually buy them because I'm an Apple fanboy, I bought them because I thought they offered the best functionality. Same goes for why I bought the Note 2.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I like how in Android there are options for auto-correct, from Off to Very Aggressive. I think I might try Very Aggressive to see what happens lol.

Michael

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If I were to get an Android phone my friends either A. Wouldn't care. B. Congratulate me for finally waking up....

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Do you announce it whenever you change underwear brands? Or do people look down there to find out...? ._.

Only my wife gets to look... not that she wants to anymore. :p

Oh please, it's not like I said anything blasphemous, like "I would totally go for a blackberry."

Haha! Lots of humour in this post. Refreshing for a change. But to answer the question, I am pretty much up there with Spinedoc77 and someone who mentioned it was a tool and my friends/family don't really care what phone I use as long as they can contact me on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.