Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
iPhone 5, AT&T, unlimited

Turned it off, turned it on, checked the settings, switch was enabled, but then disabled itself after 1 second.

Did a hard reset (home+sleep) and now it's enabled permanently!

Haven't actually tested it, but looks good to go :D

EDIT - Near central Virginia ish

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
iPhone 5, grandfathered.

No luck after resets. Although the switch under FaceTime settings is enabled after a reset but trying to use FaceTime results in the message and then when I go back into settings it's disabled.

Hopefully it's just a slow roll out!

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
That usually works for me. When i ask my brother for tech help he recommends putting my index finger on the top of my head and spinning around. Hasn't helped any yet but I think he likes the mental image. You don't suppose I'm too trusting? At least i'm generous, sharing this tip with everyone here…

They actually had that in iOS 4 but now with 6 they blocked it. Check cydia to see if they activated it. Of course being a Cydia app it might require the index and middle finger.

920R

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Boston
Works for me. iPhone 4s with grandfathered unlimited plan in Boston. I just restarted my phone and Use Cellular Data was turned on when I checked.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Fantastic news! I hope AT&T begins to keep this trend of increasing/improving customer service.

emmauslax31

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
PA
Called AT&T... the rep said "we are rolling out more coverage to more customers over the next 6-8 weeks for Facetime over cellular." I then asked will this include unlimited data customers, and she said "yes it will, but for now we are referring people to the mobile share data plans"... which I had to throw in a "which is a rip off"... and to my surprise she actually agreed. :rolleyes: so i will patiently wait for my FaceTime over cellular

erniewhite

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Works for me. iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited plan in Virginia Beach. I just restarted my phone and Use Cellular Data was turned on when I checked.

kinderdm

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Thanks a lot apple and Att, sincerely iPhone 4... Oh well at least I'm jailbroken so it doesn't matter to me but the wife would have loved facetime over cellular so she can see her babies while at work.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
It is working for me now!! However, I had to turn my WiFi on even though it connected through LTE. ????

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
VoLTE which is voice over data (since LTE is a data only network) will make this happen. I think verizon is going to launch it by end of 2013 and sprint also. Not sure about ATT or tmobile.
You don't understand.

I don't want to pay my carrier for any minutes, any long-distance crap, any bonus features like caller ID or voicebox.

I want to pay them for one thing and one thing only: data. Cheap data.

How I use that data, including making phone calls, is my business.

Case in point: an amazing voice-only plan is like $50+ a month. A 5 GB data-only plan is $35 a month.

jleasmith

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Fake out!

Hey I am in Austin Texas - 4s - unlimited

The "use cellular data" in facetime settings sets to on just fine. But when i tried to make a facetime call I got an error that I wasn't connected to a network.
So I went into Settings -> General -> Celluar and guess whats still set to off? Facetime on Celluar. And guess What!? yep have to call or go online to talk to att before I can switch it on.

>.< Way to get hopes up att.

Anyone actually try to use it?

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Carriers don't want to become "dumb pipes" for wireless data, and so they will use whatever leverage they have with handset manufacturers, like Apple, and consumers to avoid this fate for as long as possible.
But that's exactly what I want them to be. Cheap dumb data pipes.

I just wonder when it'll happen...

----------

?????

What, like a phone?
Yep, except one that costs less than $35 a month and includes all long-distance, caller ID, a lot more minutes for your buck.

----------

It's already here :) Just make a FaceTime call, and after the call is connected, just go back to home screen or turn the display off. This will pause the video. It is what I do all the time actually :D
AWESOME! I didn't know you could do that, that's great news.

So does it start to use a lot less data for your FaceTime call after you turn off the video? As in just the audio only?

I'm getting a data-only ($25~/mo) plan to replace my current smartphone plan ($75/mo), so this is a big deal to me.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This would be awesome... If I actually used Facetime. I think I have used it a total of 1 time since Apple originally introduced it. But it's a nice option to have being an AT&T customer.

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Not working yet for me. iP5 with grandfathered unlimited. I'm in MidMichigan, non LTE service area but we have the pseudo 4G. I have tried hard reset x2 still no luck.

Must be region by region.

GenderFi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Do you have to have WiFi in order to have Factime go through cellular? Cuz mine is acting that way.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Will stick with JB

Who knows, maybe they opened it up on UL Data just to work on the ability to detect it and switch off JB users later. If Apple ever implements Quasar type multi-tasking, YouTube (and Pandora) removes advertising, AT&T officially supports FT / Tether on GF accounts, and Apple gets their map situation fixed - then I will enjoy Siri; otherwise, will wait on the next JB of iOS. Who am I kidding, I will stick with JBs. Too much of the freedom I enjoy is because the walls are lifted.

spurbs

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
iPhone 5, grandfathered

Buffalo,NY

not working, tried hard reset several times since this morning

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.