Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
This is only a good thing. I still see very few iPhone 5s out in the wild (besides my own.) I have to think the demand is there, but people still think it's too hard to get.

I think a lot of people are sticking with their 4 and 4s. Certainly most folks won't upgrade from a 4s. But I know folks who are trying to get their 4 to bridge to the 5s. I just put a new battery into my GF's 4. It is giving her a new lease on life with that phone. Also, some folks who bought the 4 still haven't made it to through their two year commitment. So they aren't due for subsidized 5 yet.

That isn't to say the 5 isn't going to be the best selling phone out there. It is. But that you might not see it for a while and it may not outnumber the 4 and 4s out there for a really long time.

jake921660

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Australia
It will be interesting to see the quarterly results that actually include the new iPhone for a whole quarter. No other single phone can beat it.

But the real test of Smartphones is profits, and Apple ALWAYS beats Sammy's butt there.

lol the only people that benefit from profits are apple shareholders, which the majority of consumers are not. as a consumer, bigger profit margins mean you are getting less for your money.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
This is only a good thing. I still see very few iPhone 5s out in the wild (besides my own.) I have to think the demand is there, but people still think it's too hard to get.

I know of at least one iPhone 5 thats out in the wild - the one I lost in Belize. :(

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Why does this always have to come down to "sticking it to" Samsung? Seriously, kind of old yanno? The SGS3 is a pretty awesome damn phone.

Maybe because Samsung is spending millions of dollars sticking it to Apple users in a public forum, aka TV ads? Not that I care cos I found them humorous, but just sayin.

And as for the GS3 being awesome, you're entitled to your opinion, but I work for a major CE firm, and I can tell you that there's not one engineer in my company who feels the same way as you do. To them, it's just a solid offering where Samsung did the obvious; increased specs, including the size of the phone itself. But there's nothing there that makes people go wow, that's amazing. But they are amazed by some of the iPhone 5's innovations, including the perfected external antenna (a real breakthrough), the design itself (the materials used and manufacturing behind it) and the dual core custom silicon that's very energy efficient and more powerful than Samsung's quad core. All that with a larger display in a markedly smaller, lighter form factor is what made one of our engineers say, "wow, Apple has some damn good engineers."

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Now is the time to BUY Apple stock, as much as you can possibly afford. I'm taking next month's rent money and buying. I figure that I'll make a tidy profit and still pay the rent. You can't lose with AAPL!

Good luck at the stock market. You'll probably need it someday.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
So you walk into a store, and then two weeks later walk out with an iPhone?

I wondered the same thing. My interpretation is that the iPhone 5 will be in stock in the stores, but the holiday-season lines are expected to be very, very, very long. You'd best bring a sleeping bag and two weeks' worth of clothing and supplies.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Why on earth didn't the person who made that graph align the graph colors with the colors of the company logos?

Because, like 80% of Excel users, they don't have a clue about making any changes to a default chart. Another 10% do know how, and make changes only because they can, and make them so confusing and distracting that they become useless.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
reports that Apple has nearly caught up with demand for the iPhone 5.

Does this mean that it's time for us to declare the iPhone 5 to be old and tired, and to start speculating about and becoming impatient for the release of the iPhone 5S?

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I'm sure it's probably true, but that graph makes it appear that there is like a 50% margin for error with how it jumps around from day to day. What did they do, ask 5 stores for each carrier?

It graphically shows when lots made for each individual carrier got shipped and delivered. This amount of chart variation is very typical for this type of metric.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
Ordered Black 32Gb last Friday

Fex-Ed delivered it on Monday... 3+ days from order to delivery via AT&T's website... not bad... website said 2-3 weeks

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
demand slowing ?

it can't be the rumors of a 5S in March could it ?

why bother upgrading if you just wait 3 months... :mad:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Now is the time to BUY Apple stock, as much as you can possibly afford. I'm taking next month's rent money and buying. I figure that I'll make a tidy profit and still pay the rent. You can't lose with AAPL!

Good luck, if you go missing on this board next month we know you are homeless :)

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
lol the only people that benefit from profits are apple shareholders, which the majority of consumers are not. as a consumer, bigger profit margins mean you are getting less for your money.

NOT! If people feel they aren't getting their moneys worth, they won't buy. Shareholders don't benefit unless they sell. On the other hand, having billions in the bank enables the banks to make loans and support ventures for the masses, so everyone benefits.

kkent25

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2007
Canada

Not to sure if throwing rent money down on stocks is a good way to go.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Yes, especially since Samsung is really good with that carbon paper.

I'm an Apple fan, I know parts of the SGS3 are stolen. But some things aren't. Those are the things that will push Apple to continually up their game. It's not rocket science.

Did you have nothing to add? Or just wanted to try to discredit what I had to say?

----------

Not to sure if throwing rent money down on stocks is a good way to go.

You're right. He should put it all into options ;)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It will be interesting to see the quarterly results that actually include the new iPhone for a whole quarter. No other single phone can beat it.

But the real test of Smartphones is profits, and Apple ALWAYS beats Sammy's butt there.

Stop it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.