Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Well i just dont bother with reviews from websites anymore but regarding the photos if someone can take a pic outdoor will be great and one not low light but in-door normal conditions.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Well i just dont bother with reviews from websites anymore but regarding the photos if someone can take a pic outdoor will be great and one not low light but in-door normal conditions.

These are taken straight from the phone with no adjustment, uploaded to photobucket using their app just now.

IMG_20121121_142335.jpg

Dull, rainy day outside.

IMG_20121121_141258.jpg

I took this one with a 4S and messed around in Adobe Lightroom.

IMG_1686-1.jpg

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I would hardly call a Nexus 4 entry level. Lol.

Would you tell someone looking to pick up their first smartphone to:

Go on google play buy a no contract phone for 299+ when it becomes available again.
Create a Google account if they don't have one.
Find a carrier to put the phone on.
Etc

Or

Walk into Verizon/ATT and get a FREE iPhone 4 on contract. You could probably get the iPhone 5 on contract cheaper. Since subsidiaries aren't reflexed in the monthly payment (in the US) it's going to be cheaper (assuming you don't want to break the contract).

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Thanks Dave :) personally i dont find nothing wrong with those pictures, its not the best or out of these world BUT full nexus and that price is perfect.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Did you have HDR enabled for the shot? I find it improves things quite a bit. Also notice it uses flash in HDR mode (I think just for pre-shot metering).

Mike

Not for those Mike, but I agree that HDR gives it a much more pronounced look, I also have that feature in the pre sets in Lightroom.:)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

Go on google play buy a no contract phone for 299+ when it becomes available again.
Etc

Or

Walk into Verizon/ATT and get a FREE iPhone 4 on contract. You could probably get the iPhone 5 on contract cheaper. Since subsidiaries aren't reflexed in the monthly payment (in the US) it's going to be cheaper (assuming you don't want to break the contract).

Exactly. Indeed an iPhone 5 would have been less expensive for me. In fact I will say in the long run the iPhone 5 will be much cheaper. I already can sell my 4S for more than I paid for it. And I am thinking of getting an i5 just to sell that too. Since I am not leaving AT&T might as well take advantage of the upgrade.

I can't see someone who is at the entry-level of smartphones even knowing about the Nexus 4, let alone jumping through the hoops to actually get one.

Michael

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Do you know what APN settings to use? I saw a post on another site but I don't think it has APN for AT&T post paid.

This is what I'm using. I found it on XDA. My Speedtest was crashing it was so bad. After I switched to the APN below, I was getting 3mbps at my office yesterday.

APN

APN Name: AT&T HSPA+

APN: phone

MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS port: 80

MCC: 310

MNC: 410

APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
This is what I'm using. I found it on XDA. My Speedtest was crashing it was so bad. After I switched to the APN below, I was getting 3mbps at my office yesterday.

APN

Thanks so much!!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

APN

Thanks from me too. Mine was the old cingular.wap thing!

Mike

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England

Etc

Or

Nexus 4 would be cheaper in the UK just about (I think). It's hard to directly compare because iPhone contracts are usually 24 month. Anyway...

16 GB Nexus 4 - £279
Three SIM - 600 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data £15.90 pm for 12 months (x2)

Total cost - £660.60

16 GB iPhone 5 with 24 month contract (500 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data) is £99 upfront + £34 pm

Total cost - £915.00

16 GB iPhone 4S on the same 24 month contract is £29 upfront + £31 pm

Total cost - £773.00

Rip-off Britain :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Nexus 4 would be cheaper in the UK just about (I think). It's hard to directly compare because iPhone contracts are usually 24 month. Anyway...

16 GB Nexus 4 - £279
Three SIM - 600 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data £15.90 pm for 12 months (x2)

Total cost - £660.60

16 GB iPhone 5 with 24 month contract (500 mins, 5000 texts, unlimited data) is £99 upfront + £34 pm

Total cost - £915.00

16 GB iPhone 4S on the same 24 month contract is £29 upfront + £31 pm

Total cost - £773.00

Rip-off Britain :)

I'm not really well versed with foreign (to me) cell providers. Does a subsidized phone cost more on your payments or what? How does this work?

It just doesn't make sense to me to get a more expensive phone subsidized by a carrier and end up paying less in the end. I guess the end game is locking you into a contract?

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Maybe something wrong with at&t or jelly bean ends in regard network setup cause pretty all smartphones setup apn etc on by itself.

foolishfocus

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
St. Louis
I would have to disagree completely with this. As someone who had a 4 and 4S, the Nexus 4 is not specifically for folks looking for an "entry" level phone.

As far as batteries go, mine has been fantastic. With my HTC One X I could go from fully charged to dead in less than 6 hours (working at a hospital where I constantly am struggling for signal). With the N4, I am sitting here at work, phone off the charger for 4.5 hours now and sitting at 86% with some phone calls, web surfing, downloading apps, Facebook, and checking e-mail periodically.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

APN

Thanks again!! Getting much faster speeds now on the speed test. Around 8-9 Mbps down and around 1 up.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

APN

with these settings, apparently port 8080 is more secure. At least that is what the same post you got those from suggested.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Do you have a link to the thread? I looked In the "Post your speed test thread" and didn't find any mention of it. That's where I found the settings I posted.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1791526

here is a quote from the link

"Update 7-24: It has also come to my attention that port 8080 works. I am under the impression that it is higher security for sending MMS messages. Thanks!"

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1791526

here is a quote from the link

"Update 7-24: It has also come to my attention that port 8080 works. I am under the impression that it is higher security for sending MMS messages. Thanks!"

Thanks for the info. I tried the port 8080 and my internet started to crawl to a halt. I wonder if it's the way my account is provisioned since I previously had an LTE phone. It seems like from that tread that 80 only works if you have previously been provisioned since even the GSIII was recommended to be port 80. I'm sticking with 80 for now since it works better.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
If I set my Google account not to sync will it stop others things from syncing? For example when I disable it my twitter account no longer has options for syncing. They are grayed out. What that about?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
If I set my Google account not to sync will it stop others things from syncing? For example when I disable it my twitter account no longer has options for syncing. They are grayed out. What that about?

Just go into the account settings and uncheck whatever you don't want to sync. :)
Everything else will sync fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20121121_204512.JPG
    IMG_20121121_204512.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 92

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Just go into the account settings and uncheck whatever you don't want to sync. :)
Everything else will sync fine.

Good call. Thanks.

Edit: a little more help if you don't mind. I have an exchange account setup and I can get my mail fine but for some reason my calendar will only give me gmail as a display option. Any ideas?

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Oh yeah. Got.my nexus in the mail finally. Its going to take some time to get use to it though. It's worth the wait though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.