Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Grandfathered iPhone 5 in Columbus OH and not getting it to work.

It won't let me switch on the "use cellular data for FaceTime."

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Carrier Setting?

Can anyone who has the cellular FaceTime activated report the carrier setting (e.g. AT&T 13.0)? It can be found in settings>general>about.

I'm in Philly, my setting is 13.0 and I do not yet have the capability.

Thanks.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Still not working in Idaho on 4S.

If you reboot and then quickly go into Settings->Facetime and go to the bottom the "Use Cellular Data" switch _will_ be checked... until your phone finds service and then it will switch itself right before your eyes to being off.... dashing your hopes ;-)

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Still saying that I need to contact AT&T to activate this feature.

*sigh*

C'mon, Sprint, turn on LTE here in Austin so I can drop AT&T like a bad habit.

Edit: iPhone 4S with grandfathered Unlimited data plan.

Same here in Austin on my 5...

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
Not Working in PA

I tried hard reset and power cycle with no luck on my iPhone 5 with unlimited data plan. Same with iPhone 4S.

Located in Lehigh Valley, PA

rrr

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2004
At least based on the reports here, it looks to me like folks with unlimited plans are generally having better luck so far than those with limited plans. Interesting.

eric02038

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
after turning wifi off rebooting then doing a hard reboot, it's finally working for me here in Boston!

It's also working on my wife's 4s

Last edited:

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Grandfathered and so far it stays checked but haven't tested it. I may step down to 3gb for $25(iirc) just for FaceTime over cellular.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Works for me in NYC (manhattan)

Is this confirmed to be legit and not an accident? I read somewhere that they weren't sure.

kkalkut

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
Make sure it doesn't switch back...

I understand that with the reset, you may see the switch change to "on" and may even be able to make a test call...but check back a few minutes later.

I was able to make a FT call over LTE on my 5 but 3min later it switched back on it's own.

AT&T is also saying that you must opt for a tiered data plan still...

TxLee

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
Nothing there either! This is very odd, especially because I remember there being an option at some point. Perhaps iPhone 4 has had this hard-coded out somehow?

I've got:

Cellular Data
Enable 3G
Data Roaming
Set Up Personal Hotspot

Use Cellular Data for:
iCloud Documents
iTunes
Passbook Updates
Reading List

Activate your FaceTime. That could be a reason it's not showing up. Try the FaceTime option in the settings and not through cellular

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I understand that with the reset, you may see the switch change to "on" and may even be able to make a test call...but check back a few minutes later.

I was able to make a FT call over LTE on my 5 but 3min later it switched back on it's own.

AT&T is also saying that you must opt for a tiered data plan still...

I'm in NYC and it started to work about 40 min ago. Still working perfectly...

I actually turned it off and back on a few times also.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
My iPhone 5 - on
Wife's iPhone 4S - on

AT&T family plan with unlimited data (grandfathered for iPhone5) on each line.

Milpitas, CA here.

lightstar

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Was able to make a FaceTime call over LTE on iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited plan in Tacoma, WA about 30 minutes ago. Did a hard reset and the "FaceTime Over Cellular" option was automatically switched to on.

kimjwoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Denver working

When I saw this post this morning, I tried it on my i5 by trying to turn on cellular FT. Didnt work, so I restarted the phone and went to settings>facetime and the phone had turned on FT over cellular for me! Made a call to say "good morning" to my son at 8:11am MNT.

iPhone 5, grandfathered unlimited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.