Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,
How are you?
So, I was dead set on a mini to start by adventure over ios land.
But today I went to a store and they had a mini on display and an ipad 4 right beside the mini.
I could try them both sides by side alone for a good time...

First thing I noticed is that both on the same wifi network, and the 4 loaded the Web pages much quicker.
Every Page I started to load at the same time, the 4 finished first.

Second thing is that I went to a lot of sites I usually visit and the retina display on the 4 is really something else.

Side by side you can really tell the difference...
Even this forum, fully zoomed out is totally readable on the 4 and just barely on the mini.

Another thing is that there is a real weight difference.

Using the 4 with just one hand with tire my arm quickly...

So, after all this, I really don't know what to do...

Should I go with the mini or the 4?
Does the 4 size and weight really hurts its use?

How do you feel if you own any or both?
Do you find you don't use the 4 that much because of the weight?

Does the size of the mini make up for the worst screen?

I would really like to hear your thoughts.
I know it's subjective, but I am really torn.

Thank you.
Best regards

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I had the first iPad, the iPad 2, the iPad 3, and now the Mini.

The Mini is by far my favourite iOS device i've owned, and I've owned a lot of them.

I planned to live with the iPad 3 and Mini side by decide to decide which I preffered over the first weekend.

It took my 30 minutes before the iPad 3 was on eBay.

For me, the weight makes all the difference.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Don't browse in portrait on the mini because it scales the 1024 pixel width to 768 which results in a fuzzy image. Stick with landscape and it is fine. This has been true all the way back to the iPad 1 and I've just switched to the mini because size and weight are an important factor. Sure, it isn't as fast or clear as the 4 but it is a step up in quality and features from my iPad 1 and much lighter. The screen was always going to be a compromise because the iPad 3 suffered due to the retina display (heat and weight mainly) so to try and put a similar display in the mini would have meant it needed more processing power and consequently a bigger battery so the technology isn't really there yet to do this at the price point. Apple did the right thing in going for 1024x768 rather than say 1280x800 despite android fans comments because it means the mini is fully compatible. Also, put a mini next to a nexus 7 in landscape mode and browse and see that websites are optimised for a 1024x786 screen. Apple made the right choices.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
the iPad 4 is clearly the "better" machine in regards to specs. much faster processors, better display, etc.

the only decision to make is if you want to trade that off for better portability. I look at my iPad now and while it's clearly the top of the line machine in every way, i wonder if it's too much. I already have a MBP and an iMac, do i really need this additional device that USED to be my take-with-me-when-i-absolutely-need-to computer but is now replaced with my take-with-me-anytime device? i had no idea the iPad was heavy and not portable until i picked up the iPad mini.

the only thing making me consider keeping the iPad is my side work; it's a much bigger "wow" factor when showing someone a website/graphic/video/photo in a professional setting because of the retina display.

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I too am having trouble deciding between the 4th gen and the mini. You guys make the 4th gen sound like a cement block compared to the mini. Is weight really an issue if you're sitting on a couch or chair for an extended period of time. I can't imagine myself holding either iPad for an extended period of time with one hand....

I'm leaning towards the 4th gen because of the processing power and retina. I mean... MOVIES PEOPLE. Won't movies look *much* better on the iPad 4 vs the mini? And I heard the stereo sounds much better on the 4th gen than the mini?

I'm not buying the ipad to be a reader, i'm looking to it more as an entertainment device .... so have I answered my own question?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
The World Health Organization needs to investigate a disease that, if MR is any indication, is epidemic. The symptoms are the inability to;

1. Define requirements.
2. Prioritize requirements.
3. Purchase the device that meets the prioritized requirements.

The sufferer then seeks advice from strangers on the Internet.

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
The World Health Organization needs to investigate a disease that, if MR is any indication, is epidemic. The symptoms are the inability to;

1. Define requirements.
2. Prioritize requirements.
3. Purchase the device that meets the prioritized requirements.

The sufferer then seeks advice from strangers on the Internet.

Touche. Love your signature btw.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I too am having trouble deciding between the 4th gen and the mini. You guys make the 4th gen sound like a cement block compared to the mini. Is weight really an issue if you're sitting on a couch or chair for an extended period of time. I can't imagine myself holding either iPad for an extended period of time with one hand....

I'm leaning towards the 4th gen because of the processing power and retina. I mean... MOVIES PEOPLE. Won't movies look *much* better on the iPad 4 vs the mini? And I heard the stereo sounds much better on the 4th gen than the mini?

I'm not buying the ipad to be a reader, i'm looking to it more as an entertainment device .... so have I answered my own question?

If that's your criteria, get the Mini. Text is really the most noticeable difference. If it doesn't work for you, exchange for a 4. You'd definitely want to try the cheaper nonretina version first.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
honestly, you don't use an iPad like an iPhone. Don't hold it with one hand in mid air. I use my iPad while sitting down in a lounge, the way I read a book, my arm is usually supported by the chair and the ipad half supported by my lap. It's like reading a book.
Hence the weight is a non issue to me.
May be different with an iPad mini but with the smaller screen, you'd probably need to hold it closer to your face, thereby needing to hold it mid air, like an iPhone, and not rested on your lap (less like a book, more like a PDA/phone. Not sure if thats the ideal device for my use (casual browsing, email while rested on a lounge)
You're right, once you go retina, you can't go back. And I have a feeling the A5 will get outdated a lot sooner than the A6.

coorspate

macrumors regular
May 20, 2006
Wirelessly posted

For what it's worth, I bought a mini and loved the size and weight. After a week I returned it and got a 4. I'm happier with the 4 mainly for the faster speed and twice as much ram but the screen can't be beat.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011

This. iPad is smaller than a standard notebook and weighs about like a hardback. Carrying a device is carrying a device. There isn't much difference in convenience. For movies the 50% larger screen and better sound of iPad are worth it.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Wirelessly posted

For what it's worth, I bought a mini and loved the size and weight. After a week I returned it and got a 4. I'm happier with the 4 mainly for the faster speed and twice as much ram but the screen can't be beat.

same here....

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Just define your priority. Are you buying it because of portability or want a high end user experience ie screen, speed,

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
On another note, if you have an iPhone, why would you want an iPad mini? It's not as good as an iPhone in portability, and if you have an iPhone 5, not as good in performance either... and it's not as good as the iPad for full capability (smaller screen not ideal for a lot of reading materials, slower CPU)
It's like the netbook of iOS

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
there are some things you want a larger screen area than the iPhone for, but the iPad might be overkill.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
On another note, if you have an iPhone, why would you want an iPad mini? It's not as good as an iPhone in portability, and if you have an iPhone 5, not as good in performance either... and it's not as good as the iPad for full capability (smaller screen not ideal for a lot of reading materials, slower CPU)

Having an iPhone 5 doesn't replace the mini at all. I sold my iPad 2 and bought the mini because I like the form factor better. I use the iPhone when I am out and didn't grab the mini but I would almost rather be on the mini any time. It is my at home web browser as well as media station for on the go and so much more. I loved my full sized iPad but the form factor of the mini fits into my routine so much better.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps you would be better off buying a refurbished iPad 2 or iPad 3 from Apple's refurb store.

You could then try out the iPad 2 and decide what you like and don't like. Then you could sell the iPad 2 and purchase either an iPad mini or iPad 4 depending on your preferences.

PantherJeep

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I just bought a mini (32GB AT&T LTE) last night, and I am absolutely in love with it. No, it's not a retina display, but it's still quite superior to the display in my 1st-gen iPad that it will complement for now. Even after spending some quality time in the Apple store comparing the two, initially with the intent of buying a 4th gen iPad, the incredibly-light weight and form factor of the mini was simply too compelling to pass up.

Now, when I do finally replace my 1st-gen iPad - probably sometime after Jan. 1 - I may not be as enthusiastic about the mini. Time will tell I suppose, but right now it seems the perfect companion to a full-size iPad.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
1) How do you feel if you own any or both?

Should I go with the mini or the 4?

2) Does the 4 size and weight really hurts its use?

3) Do you find you don't use the 4 that much because of the weight?

4) Does the size of the mini make up for the worst screen?
1a) I own both of these excellent tablets.

2a) Size and weight are to be expected, it's a larger device. They do _not_ affect my enjoyment of this model.

3a) The weight has no impact on how I use the 4, it's excellent

4) The mini does _not_ have a "worse" screen. It's a lower resolution which judged based on it's own merits, is an excellent display.

Comparing a Retina display to a 1028x768 display is just plain wrong. They are _different_ and not to be compared.

I find both the iPad mini and iPad 4 I own to be very nice tablets that do everything I could want from this type of device. They each have their strengths and uses, therefore it's more than worthwhile for me to own both.

It's up to you to decide which is most appropriate for your preferences.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
1a) I own both of these excellent tablets.

2a) Size and weight are to be expected, it's a larger device. They do _not_ affect my enjoyment of this model.

3a) The weight has no impact on how I use the 4, it's excellent

4) The mini does _not_ have a "worse" screen. It's a lower resolution which judged based on it's own merits, is an excellent display.

Comparing a Retina display to a 1028x768 display is just plain wrong. They are _different_ and not to be compared.

I find both the iPad mini and iPad 4 I own to be very nice tablets that do everything I could want from this type of device. They each have their strengths and uses, therefore it's more than worthwhile for me to own both.

It's up to you to decide which is most appropriate for your preferences.

1028x768 display comparison to Retina isn't plain wrong, it is absurd!

I wish comparisons on this forum were Apple to Apple!

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011

Many disagree but small tablets will go the way of the netbook. Same happening with small phones. Small tablets will be around for certain applications, but 8.9" and larger will rule for adults as they slim down.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
On another note, if you have an iPhone, why would you want an iPad mini?
That's a great question that has a variety of correct answers all based on our individual preferences.

When I first bought my mini, it was for it's portability and convenience.

Now after waiting for two years in hopes Apple would offer the iPhone with a larger, not just an odd, narrow, stretched display, I've given up. Not on Apple, but the hope of an iPhone with a useful modern sized display. Enter the iPad mini, the perfect iP5 replacement for those of us that don't like tiny phones with oddly shaped displays.

Since I always carry a couple of phones, I can use one of my wonderful Samsung's for calling. For those who want to make this same transition, the ideal solution is an iPad mini & an inexpensive feature phone.

Now you can enjoy ten hours of battery life, a nice comfortable display, and avoid suffering the drawbacks & limitations of the iPhone 5. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.