Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
I can speak English. So how about implement more functions to Siri like "Tell me some hot news", "Who is ...?", "Translate (then shoot a photo of a paragraph of some language)", or "Search my email for ...".

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
make it work in English.

my puss in boots cat disappeared.

tumblr_mb9srfxz651ri7enpo1_250.gif

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Show me a non-native English speaker that never had any problems with Siri...

I'm Danish and find the voice recognition pretty good. However, I think the use cases of Siri are rather limited, because it still feels like some kind of an "enhanced voice command prompt" where you need to know exactly what you can say to it, in order to use it.

I'd never really use Siri for real, though, as long as it submits recordings of my voice along with other data to Apple.

----------

I can speak English. So how about implement more functions to Siri like "Tell me some hot news", "Who is ...?", "Translate (then shoot a photo of a paragraph of some language)", or "Search my email for ...".

Exactly! Save for a few new commands recently, it feels like they stopped.

Macgb

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
London
sport

It would be quite nice if Siri's sports "knowledge" included info about real sports that the rest of the world play, rather than just the lame US "sport entertainment" such as NFL and MLB that no-one outside the US cares about, before they included any more languages.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Am I the only one who thinks this set of qualifications is pretty unique? Or are they looking for more than one person? Native or fluent in four different scripts? respect (and good luck finding a single person one earth speaking all these languages)

Speak all these languages flued and has thouse skills?????:confused: Are there any authistic people with an IQ of above 160 around?

Key Qualifications

· Native or fluent in Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Korean,
Norwegian, Swedish and fluent in English

Exactly, should be:
Native or fluent in one or more of the following languages, Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Korean, Norwegian, Swedish.
And fluent in English.

Show me a non-native English speaker that never had any problems with Siri...

Me:p

I am non native and Siri always understands me, I think it understands fluent non natives better than some of the English accents/dialects.

Last edited:

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
And every non-geek would run for their lives. Not a smart move if you want to stay in business.

Why do you say that ? I think it's very smart.

Like adding another language as an option would all of a sudden take away from the other languages ?! :confused:

Please enlighten me. You seem to think you know a thing or two about business. Tell me how adding Klingon is going to put Apple out of business.

Because...YOU know all the smart moves :rolleyes:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Like adding another language as an option would all of a sudden take away from the other languages ?! :confused:

Well, Apple has this one room with one desk and one chair for their Siri language guy. So when the Danish guy comes, they have to throw out the English one. And when the French one arrives, gone is the Danish one. He better work quick!

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
And every non-geek would run for their lives. Not a smart move if you want to stay in business.
Ok I'm a geek, bot I don't know klingon, and as to that language being scary. Wel just like any other language (real or not) the scariness totally depends on the context and the speaker, Worf wold probably not scare me unless he was angry, the Duras sisters on the other hand ... they seem to be so devious that they would make me uncomfortable because i suspected them of plotting bad things lol. So as for siri in klingon; scary:no useful:no
lightly to be implemented : hell no, unless apple plans to open a store on Qo'noS (a joke, I may love star-trek, end definitely dig a lot of the tech, but I deffenetly know it's not real :( )

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Why do you say that ? I think it's very smart.

Please enlighten me. You seem to think you know a thing or two about business. Tell me how adding Klingon is going to put Apple out of business.

Because...YOU know all the smart moves :rolleyes:

Well, maybe I overstated it. Certainly adding Klingon wouldn't be the ONE thing that would push google out of the Mobile OS market entirely. But you know, putting it mildly, knowing Klingon is not something you share with your non-geek friends... Plus, it'd take a lot of the devs' time (even assuming a good number of them KNOW klingon and would gladly spend their time on it), and wouldn't be something google could capitalize on in terms of marketing. Maybe google wouldn't mind it much, since they're happy with their geek aura and give the OS for free anyway. But device manufacturers want to avoid being cornered into the budget/techie market if they're to raise their profit margins.

Maybe as an easter egg, sure. Something you can access if you root your device, but not otherwise. Personally I'd find Latin a lot more fun, since I'm not a trekkie but a sucker for late antiquity. But to each his own... Peace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.