Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage30.png
Apple is once again selling OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on the Apple Online Store for $19.99. The return was noticed by the French site MacGeneration. Apple had pulled Snow Leopard from its site after Mountain Lion was released earlier this year.

This is significant because Snow Leopard is required to run the more recent versions of iTunes that newer iOS devices require, and it is also the last OS X operating system that could only be purchased on physical media.

For users who want to upgrade from Leopard to Lion, they need to purchase Snow Leopard in order to gain access to the Mac App Store.

Article Link: OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Again Available on the Apple Online Store

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I think it has a lot more to do with the upgrade path rather than a nod from Apple. They want users to progress, and in order to do it, SL is required. It still doesn't get away from the fact that making software download only isolates many on slow Internet connection speeds though.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
the good olde days

This was easily the best update of OSX in a long time. It improved stability and back end operations significantly without messing around with gimmicky iOS apps marketed as 'features'

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

Forever on SL is what you will be.

ML > SL

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
the minimum OS to download ML. but 10.6.8 is stable as a rock, if sl would support icloud I would stay with sl.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

I get Exposé, but seriously, what's wrong with Versions? I've recovered many documents and unwanted changes with it. A great feature.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Good times. Mountain Lion fixed a lot of what I hated in Lion, but I still liked both Leopards better than either of the Lions.

I'd really love to see more emphasis on the mac side for 10.9 instead of making it more iOS like. It's time for iOS to get more mac like instead of the other way round. Hopefully the recent changes at Apple make this more likely.

True story, as I was writing this I was listening to a song called 'Carnival' by Kevin Devine - some lyrics:

#'Cos I tamed a lion once I stole his roar
I stripped his pride away but he found more
So now he's out to take what's his and shove my future in my face
Scare me back in my place
So soon so soon you've got it beat 'til it eats you

Seemed apt somehow! :)

karmakat

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2004
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process.…

Yes! That's how I feel as well. In fact, I tried to upgrade my 5-year-old iMac with 4GB RAM and 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and it brought it to its knees. I had to downgrade back to Snow Leopard and let me tell you, that was a 2-week e-mail reverse conversion nightmare.

Yes I want a new iMac, but the cash is just not coming in to cover one. (Dream: I can't imagine how fast a new iMac would be if you loaded with SL.)

I do love some of the improvements in Lion/Mountain Lion and wish I could have them, but the performance tradeoff makes it unappealing at best for now. I hope 10.9 fixes that. Who knows, when I finally get a new iMac, perhaps I won't care since the performance will be fine again, I hope.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
I just installed Mountain Lion the other day straight from Snow Leopard. While at first I really didn't care much for Mountain Lion - once I turned OFF the iCloud junk, it now seems pretty good.

I was on Snow Leopard for a long, long time. After the fiasco that was Leopard - I decided to skip Lion. Just like Leopard - it seemed half-baked. Everyone here is correct. Snow Leopard is a fantastic OS. They still use it at my work. No issues with it at all. But Mountain Lion seems to be a bit snappier. I do like that. This is on an old 2008 iMac.

The only thing that kills me is how outdated Apple Mail seems. It still doesn't even archive mail properly when using it IMAP Gmail. I'll keep using Sparrow until it breaks. Apple should have purchased Sparrow and the guys who made it a long time ago - but now Google owns it and them. Maybe with Jonny Ive in charge now - we'll see a big improvement in Mail.

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000

I agree on the creeping featuritis of 10.7 and 10.8, but if you want to talk about "best OS", you'll have to do a lot of work to get me to turn away from System 7 :)

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Apple you are sooo stuck in the past selling optical. :p

Serious note: I found that SL was the best overall OS they had and wish they were just now getting ready to release a new one instead of this iDevice OS yearly release cycle. Should at least be getting 5 year support on the OS's especially for machines that almost all are over 1k.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Ah, Snow Leopard. You were there to help me across the river when I decided to come over from the Windows side. You showed me how a well written OS can put the "P" back into PC. You showed me how important customization, gestures, shortcuts, etc. are. You showed me a vast amount of professional and capable software can be integral to an OS, and just be there when I need it without getting in the way. You had backwards compatibility in mind (Rosetta) as you looked to the future.

It took me less than a month to fall in love with the whole "Mac" experience, and shun Windows forever.

Then Lion happened.
Then my 2012 MBP can't connect to my external 1TB drive through USB 3.0.
Then my Apple TV can't connect to my WiFi provider.
Then my iPhone 5 can't connect to my WiFi provider.

Bitter Apple.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple is once again selling OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on the Apple Online Store for $19.99. The return was noticed by the French site MacGeneration. Apple had pulled Snow Leopard from its site after Mountain Lion was released earlier this year.

This is significant because Snow Leopard is required to run the more recent versions of iTunes that newer iOS devices require, and it is also the last OS X operating system that could only be purchased on physical media.

For users who want to upgrade from Leopard to Lion, they need to purchase Snow Leopard in order to gain access to the Mac App Store.

Article Link: OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Again Available on the Apple Online Store

The return of the last great OS!!

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

That's a riveting story. I'll file that one with the people who said they will never let go of command-line interfaces. If you refuse to buy a copy of a new OS until they go back to an old method (just for YOU), then I guess you'll be on your current OS for quite a while. Happy Thanksgiving!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Where's your proof?

It's a useful feature where before there was none. Saved me more than once.

All in all ignorant and baseless post.

Ignorant and baseless? Yeah, not like me having worked on Snow Leopard for 3 years has anything to be experienced with or have any basis of my dislikes for the gimping of 10.7 and 10.8.

Thank you, for that wonderful and well thought out response, I'm now convinced that I'm wrong.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Snow Leopard is a great OS (although Tiger is my favourite) - absolutely rock solid. I resisted Lion (thankfully), but have been half-considering Mountain Lion...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.