Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nosrettap

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
I'm a college student looking to get my first iPhone. I'm going to get an iPhone 5 on verizon and from what I can tell, it will cost me $90.00 per month for 1 GB of data. Does this sound correct? Are there any deals that I'm missing?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I'm a college student looking to get my first iPhone. I'm going to get an iPhone 5 on verizon and from what I can tell, it will cost me $90.00 per month for 1 GB of data. Does this sound correct? Are there any deals that I'm missing?

honestly.. the shared data plans are crap for single users that DONT want unlmited talk.. the only way ou can get the original plan s if you know someone friend/relative who has verizon with the original plans that allow you to pic the minutes and texts/data.. They can add on a phone line to theirs.. (pick your phone) then transfer the billing responsibility of that new phone line into your name.. so you will have the original phone plans.

rvancil

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
Buy the phone off contract and do a program like straight talk...$45 unlimited per month. You'll make back the phone price quickly.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you want a subsidized phone and don't use a lot of data, you should look at at&t. Voice ($40) and data (300MB for $20) will total $50/month, not including activation, taxes, etc. Verizon tends to be pretty expensive, imo, but for some people it's the best coverage choice.
You should also check and see if your college is affiliated with a provider. You get discounts on service plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.