Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I don't want to get bogged down either...but you're wrong...:p

No. You're still wrong.

You're assuming everyone buys their iPhone at launch.

If someone were to walk into an Apple store on September 19, 2011 (one year before iOS 6 was released) and ask to buy the latest and greatest, most current iPhone, they'd walk out with a 4. The 4S wouldn't be announced or available for a few more weeks.

Just because the phone had already been available for 16 months doesn't change anything. With no newer model announced of available, it was still the latest tech and Apple gladly sold it as such.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
No. You're still wrong.

You're assuming everyone buys their iPhone at launch.

If someone were to walk into an Apple store on September 19, 2011 (one year before iOS 6 was released) and ask to buy the latest and greatest, most current iPhone, they'd walk out with a 4. The 4S wouldn't be announced or available for a few more weeks.

Just because the phone had already been available for 16 months doesn't change anything. With no newer model announced of available, it was still the latest tech and Apple gladly sold it as such.

And like I said...it still works fine...even without the "latest" features but with the latest software.

Wasn't true for someone that bought an iPhone 3 and then updated to iOS 4 a year later, but hey have throttled back certain iOS features to match capabilities of each phone...and I don't see how that hasn't been done very well or fairly based on what people have bought (also considering the price of that phone a year ago was a lot cheaper than it was at launch).

In the US, once the iPhone 5 was announced, iPhone 4 was $1 new and 4S was $99...sounds fair to me.

The original post makes it sound like people have to spend at least $300 on hardware every year just to use the latest software. Assuming iOS 7 doesn't come out for another 10 months, there will be people out there with 3+ year old phones still running the "latest" software without issue...and yes, without Siri and some other features available on the latest phones.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Oh, here's a good one.

Say you are standing in Inverness (the city in the highlands of Scotland) and you want directions to drive to Inverness Airport, 8 miles away.

Apple Maps can't do it though, because it wants you to drive to a small private airfield in Florida which also happens to be called Inverness Airport and serves one man and a dog each year.

Now call me mad as a box of frogs, but I would have thought that if you are in any city in the world, you are significantly more likely to want to drive to that city's international airport 8 miles away than a private airfield some 4000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Just a thought.

Seriously, who programmed this tosh and who approved it as fit for public use ?

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Oh, here's a good one.

Say you are standing in Inverness (the city in the highlands of Scotland) and you want directions to drive to Inverness Airport, 8 miles away.

Apple Maps can't do it though, because it wants you to drive to a small private airfield in Florida which also happens to be called Inverness Airport and serves one man and a dog each year.

Now call me mad as a box of frogs, but I would have thought that if you are in any city in the world, you are significantly more likely to want to drive to that city's international airport 8 miles away than a private airfield some 4000 miles away on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Just a thought.

Hopefully the guy who got fired. I've too much invested in Apple to jump ship, so desperately want them to sort the current issues out.

mjb0314

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Oh, here's a good one.

I'm not sure how accurate the routes are, but I had no problem searching for Inverness in Scotland and then finding directions from that pin to Inverness Airport. I'm not standing in Scotland, so I can't do a test based on my current location.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    956.9 KB · Views: 98

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Actually, he is right...the 18-24 month range seems to be the breaking point between full functioning software and hardware powerful enough to utilize it.

iPhone 4 easily runs more intensive apps like Navigon, TomTom etc. even an old 3 can run these. It's just apples way of trying to force upgrades by artificially crippling 'old' devices.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
iPhone 4 easily runs more intensive apps like Navigon, TomTom etc. even an old 3 can run these. It's just apples way of trying to force upgrades by artificially crippling 'old' devices.

Agree. It was pretty comical that people believed an iPhone 4 couldn't handle Siri because of hardware when my 3GS ran apps like Vlingo (which were actually better than Siri).

One thing I really liked about iPhones was that I could buy a phone at launch and know that Apple would upgrade the OS and I'd get all the new features of the OS without having to buy a new phone for 2 years. That all changed when the 4S was announced and I was stunned that my 4 would not get Siri. And when they didn't give me turn by turn, it became apparent to me that it was going to be the new rule, not the exception.

I'm sure Apple knows that doing this will encourage people to upgrade... but for me it is having the reverse effect. I'm more hesitant to pull the trigger on iPhone 5 when I know I can't roll back to iOS 5 if I want, and when I am now unsure if the next major software upgrade will leave out key features that only the NEXT phone will get.

As a shareholder, you can't fault them.
As a consumer, you most certainly can.

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
Oh, here's a good one.

A total lie. As you'll note from my gps location I was in the middle of Inverness. Apple maps are disappointing, yes, but not as bad as some people on here are making out. Clearly here to spread FUD.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.PNG
    IMG_0148.PNG
    889.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Oh, here's a good one.

I think both people are right...while after centering in on Inverness, Scotland, as shown just above, a search for "Inverness Airport" brings up the correct location.

If I center on my home in the USA and search for "Inverness Airport," the default airport is indeed the one in Inverness, Florida.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that is what came up for him...but I'm wondering how he searched for it. Was it a a Siri request? I have to believe it WASN'T a search after opening maps to his current location in Inverness as that seems to work fine.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I think both people are right...while after centering in on Inverness, Scotland, as shown just above, a search for "Inverness Airport" brings up the correct location.

If I center on my home in the USA and search for "Inverness Airport," the default airport is indeed the one in Inverness, Florida.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if that is what came up for him...but I'm wondering how he searched for it. Was it a a Siri request? I have to believe it WASN'T a search after opening maps to his current location in Inverness as that seems to work fine.

That's been my experience too, which also holds true for cities.

Many cities in the US are named after the original ones in Europe and, even though I'm clearly across the world on the wrong continent, Siri will often pick those towns for my directions.

For example, if I'm in Syracuse and ask Siri to take me to Liverpool (one of its suburbs), it'll tell me 'Directions Not Available' as it shows the one in England. I have to open the map for it to work.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Today I am thankful for Apple Maps..in particular, turn by turn as it has yet to fail me in my travels around the country despite obvious issues with others in the US and around the world.

Happy Thanksgiving Day...:p

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Gotta cut Apple Maps some slack, at least it got this right.
..But it didn't.

IMG_0985.jpg
IMG_0986.jpg

Just seriously speaking about Apple Maps though, I've found numerous troubles trying to find small rural villages around in Devon, which Google handles fine.
I know this area isn't highest on Apples list of fixes, but I'm hoping they do approve the Google Maps app when available.
I also prefer Google's interface and their choice of colours, font's, etc for roads and information.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
A total lie. As you'll note from my gps location I was in the middle of Inverness. Apple maps are disappointing, yes, but not as bad as some people on here are making out. Clearly here to spread FUD.

Well, I assure you that I tried it at my home on Sunday night in Glasgow, and it said "driving directions not available" as it tried to direct me to Florida. I tried it again when I got to Inverness on Monday morning with the same outcome.

Fortunately I'm able to read road signs so got to the airport no problem.

I'm puzzled as to why some people get the correct outcome and some don't. I've just tried it again from my current location (Edinburgh) with the same outcome again, so its definitely a reproduceable bug.

And I don't appreciate being called a FUD. That's just not very nice.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Well, I assure you that I tried it at my home on Sunday night in Glasgow, and it said "driving directions not available" as it tried to direct me to Florida. I tried it again when I got to Inverness on Monday morning with the same outcome.

Fortunately I'm able to read road signs so got to the airport no problem.

I'm puzzled as to why some people get the correct outcome and some don't. I've just tried it again from my current location (Edinburgh) with the same outcome again, so its definitely a reproduceable bug.

And I don't appreciate being called a FUD. That's just not very nice.

I'm wondering if a hard restart would change anything?

How did you search for it? Typed it in? Siri? Did you use the locator to center the map on your location first?

Troy Clarke

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
I can't wait for Google Maps app to come out. The iOS maps app is so bad. It lags and its not accurate. I heard it should come out at the end of December.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
If this was the final version, you would have every right to bedisappointed

That may be so. But Apple never marketed it like that. Their keynote resulted in high expectations. If they were more honest about the initial quality of the release, they wouldn't have suffered so much criticism.

A piss poor example of managing expectations is the nicest way I can put it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
For me it was. The new one doesen't recognize anything in my city just a few street's

The Google one was good for not much more than searching within a map instead of the extra step through Safari.

Turn by turn alone on Maps makes it one hundred times better.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
The Google one was good for not much more than searching within a map instead of the extra step through Safari.

Turn by turn alone on Maps makes it one hundred times better.

Except that, when used as a search, it would actually find the POI and (far more often) know the right address.

My home address (as well as everyone in my local community) is shown wrong. Because of this, I can't use location based reminders.

Many 3rd party apps have been rendered useless because of the maps. Realty apps show the house listings in the incorrect spots and mapping fitness apps show me running/ biking in the middle of nowhere (where it once showed all the small ponds and walking paths).

I reported these issues when I first "upgraded," but, so far, none have been changed.

Hundred times better? No, not even close. I lost function with my phone, nothing was gained.

If I want turn-by-turn, I still use 3rd party apps... I, not only, trust their maps more, but they're often full of far more features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.