Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koobs123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
was wondering if this is possible. this would be a wired setup (local).
I want to get one mac mini (server if necessary) and have the machine in my room, but also have it connected to the tv downstairs...this i know is possible... but now what i would like is for my family to browse the internet downstairs, while I do work upstairs sharing the same Mac Mini but using different log ins.

I have a feeling this cant be done amd ill be stuck buying two, but thought i would ask.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
was wondering if this is possible. this would be a wired setup (local).
I want to get one mac mini (server if necessary) and have the machine in my room, but also have it connected to the tv downstairs...this i know is possible... but now what i would like is for my family to browse the internet downstairs, while I do work upstairs sharing the same Mac Mini but using different log ins.

I have a feeling this cant be done amd ill be stuck buying two, but thought i would ask.

What you are asking can't be done. While Macs can have different logins at the same time, you need a client system (not just a display/keyboard/mouse) to connect to the Mac host.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
You'll need something running a VNC client to connect to the server. So basically another computer.

Koobs123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
You'll need something running a VNC client to connect to the server. So basically another computer.

can i hook up a local wired VNC so that speeds and frame rate are maximized?

Id get one powerful mac mini and a used older model to log into my new fast mac mini to get the experience of the new machine... or will that be pointless because it will only be as fast as the machine its being used through?

thunk i answered my own question but thought id clarify anyway. thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.