Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
two weeks for me and no nicks or scratches on naked iphone 5 black.

But I take care of it. I'm certain tho, it will eventually happen. I wish apple made the bumper again.

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Mind if I ask you when you got your first iPhone?

I received mine on launch day and I went to the apple store yesterday and they told me that it had been two weeks and I could not swap mine out due to the fact that I should have came earlier... I am furious about this...

I got mine on launch day also. That doesn't make any sense. It sounds like an employee is mis informed. If I were you I would call Apple customer service. Or go back to the Apple store and speak to a manager.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Hey people,

So I'm going to sell my iphone4 and keep AT&T. Is the iphone 5 worth $199 or should I just get a brand new iphone 4 for $0?

I have no use for Siri or a better camera.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Hey people,

So I'm going to sell my iphone4 and keep AT&T. Is the iphone 5 worth $199 or should I just get a brand new iphone 4 for $0?

I have no use for Siri or a better camera.

Why are you selling your iPhone 4 if you would just buy another? Why not keep the one you have and stay off contract and unlocked?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Threw an iCarbons skin on back and sides since day one and forgot about it

So, I'd you've gotta cover it up with a case, why did Apple bother to make such a great finished phone? Might as well be make out of plastic.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
So, I'd you've gotta cover it up with a case, why did Apple bother to make such a great finished phone? Might as well be make out of plastic.

Don't have to, its just preference. I like the carbon look. Same with 4S.

Some expect too much.

wpc

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Canada
Let me rephrase what I meant by nicks.

The part where its slanted, it's wearing down or something. Silver is showing in bright lines in the edges. Not something than can be caused by a drop or scraping it. It's like the coloring is wearing off.. that's why I thought it was my hands.

----------

Also I don't have a camera in my house right now. My sister has her iPad at school, and the only other camera I know of is my phone. I'll have to post pictures later.

I've had mine in a case, only occasionally taking it out. In the same area you mention, I've got a couple small 'nicks' that show bright silver, not wearing. Got mine on launch day. Bit annoyed, but what can you do. It's unfortunate if some of these early phones have a defect with them and they sort it all out with later batches. If that's the case, Apple are unlikely to admit it. I guess it's unrealistic to expect a phone to remain flawless - so I'll deal with it. Rant over.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Ok let's think about this...you who are reading a policy, or me who has actually cashed in on AppleCare+ two times for cosmetic damage. Basically as long as it is not normal wear and tear and damage from a drop/mishandle, they will replace it. In other words, it does NOT have to be broken.

If the coating can be shown to be defective the yes youre right. I dont think most will be so lucky as you.

----------

I assume you are referring to the alleged email from an Apple executive. That wasn't an official statement from Apple and isn't even confirmed to have come from who it was proported to have come from.

The vast majority of people are having no issues with the anodizing, including myself. It's an issue with some phones, but not some widespread problem.

Your comments are no more official or accurate.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Got mine on launch day. No nicks in mine or my wifes yet.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Why are you selling your iPhone 4 if you would just buy another? Why not keep the one you have and stay off contract and unlocked?

Agreed.

Besides that it would actually be a downgrade to go to a new iPhone 4 from the one you already have. The iPhone 4 was originally sold in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB configurations. The one that is being sold now for $0 with a contract is only 8GB. After iOS eats up a good portion of that there is not much left over for apps and stuff.

If you want to stay with the iPhone 4 then keep the one you have and enjoy it along with not being tied to a 2 year contract.

JRL1611

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
iPhone 5 nicks

The cause of the nicks is obvious, if my observations are correct: The earlier iPhones use a stainless steel trim band, while the 5 uses aluminum. The former is almost indestructable in normal use, while the latter is much too soft for its purpose.

gazzamac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
My black Iphone 32gb bought on launch day now has 3 shiny marks only on the chamfered edge already even though I've taken great care with it and you know what ? I bought a black Ipad mini on launch day and exactly the same thing has happened on that too.

Its such a shame. I love my apple tech and give it the care and respect the high purchase price commands and yet its starting to look tatty after just a few weeks....

Bad, Bad, design......

Last edited:

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I think a lot of you are confusing a phone for a Faberge Egg. :rolleyes:

I guess it's in some way Apples own fault ;).

From Apple Press Info:

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device..:"

"Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish."

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I guess it's in some way Apples own fault ;).

From Apple Press Info:

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device..:"

"Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish."

Jewel-like. IE NOT a jewel. :cool:

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
Here's another idea, someone else thought of and I'm starting to believe...the chamfered edge is not anodized after all, but is painted. The slate back is definitely anodized, but they used a different finish on the diamond-cut bevel for a shinier effect. I have a tiny nick in the chamfer of my i5, and I examined it with a jeweler's loop. It really looks like paint to me, not anodization. Paint would certainly explain the incidence of blemishes we're seeing, being less rugged than anodizing (paint is a coating, anodizing is a surface modification). Some are reporting seeing paint chips after dinging their phone's edge, which is hard to believe unless it actually is paint.

I wish there was some way we could contact Apple and simply ask them (assuming we coould get someone who knew what they were talking about).

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Here's another idea, someone else thought of and I'm starting to believe...the chamfered edge is not anodized after all, but is painted. The slate back is definitely anodized, but they used a different finish on the diamond-cut bevel for a shinier effect. I have a tiny nick in the chamfer of my i5, and I examined it with a jeweler's loop. It really looks like paint to me, not anodization. Paint would certainly explain the incidence of blemishes we're seeing, being less rugged than anodizing (paint is a coating, anodizing is a surface modification). Some are reporting seeing paint chips after dinging their phone's edge, which is hard to believe unless it actually is paint.

I wish there was some way we could contact Apple and simply ask them (assuming we coould get someone who knew what they were talking about).
I agree. The chamfered edge can be easily chipped and turned into silver just by knocking it very softly on the table (it slipped from my hand to the table from a 3-inches distance, guess what, the chamfered edge now has a 6mm silvery 'scar' on it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.