Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
i would go for iMac, its the best and it lasts longer

im using an iMac for around 6 years now.. didnt get any problems

I got a toshiba tecra from the 98 still going strong :) also a 8year desktop working with no issues, that one still runs windows xp

garpen

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Ok

Go windows 7 is rock solid.

I have 2 computer one windows 7 and one Mac.

I prefer windows 7 has happened that Mac has not started properly.

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
What I mean "ugly" is not about the looking. It is the kernel. It is disgusting that how Windows handles everything behind the screen.

The kernel of Linux and that of OS X are way more stable and way more clean than windows.

I wonder how much do you know about Windows kernel?
And what does it really takes to disgust you?

Curren~Sea

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Your computer is a tool.

Use whichever tool gets your job done the best.

Personally, I went from XP to OSX to W7 back to OSX. I doubt I'll ever buy a W8 machine but my workplace may eventually use it in 5+ years. Workplaces have absolutely zero incentive to upgrade to W8. Actually, most clients that I work for are still on Vista Enterprise.

I'd just like to echo the sentiment that most people's experience with Macs are that you simply don't have to fiddle with them as much as a Windows PC. My experience suggests that Macs are much more reliable. To me, that's worth quite a bit.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Nobody wants the opinions of idiot fanboys. You made a completely bold statement without backing it up with any reasons for your statements. So tired of clowns answer these kinds of questions with their own opinions based on taste.

The only idiot here is you for calling other members idiots, you stupid kid - I stated my opinion based on years and years of using both Macs and Windows PCs. If you don't like it, just shut the **** up instead of using this forum for personal offenses.

Obviously I have reported you to the mods.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Windows Desktop PC's rarely use mobile processors & mobile GPU's though. Plus you can custom build to your required spec and upgrade any component you wish. You can't do that with an iMac.

You are absolutely right as long as you're fine living under Windows and bloatware. This is why I've mentioned the AIO caveat.

However, my iMac with the 6970M runs everything I wish (including modern games) with high-quality settings, something that should be even miles better with the 680MX, the best mobile GPU at this moment (and better than most ordinary desktop GPUs as well).

Not to mention the better attention to design, aesthetics, reliability through hardware-software integration and reduced footprint. And you can always run Windows as a fallback solution, of course.

Other risks? Again the AIO factor, which means you always have to lug the whole thing to an AASP in case of problems (mine currently has a PSU whine that seemingly comes and goes with brightness levels and graphics activity; I won't take it to assistance now but it will have to be done soon).

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Hardware is the same mate, bloatware ? Never had those on my windows box.

Like i say it all comes down to what OS you want/prefer :)

Renzatic

Suspended
However, my iMac with the 6970M runs everything I wish (including modern games) with high-quality settings, something that should be even miles better with the 680MX, the best mobile GPU at this moment (and better than most ordinary desktop GPUs as well).

Actually, the one thing that makes the 680MX such a stout card is that it nearly is a top of the line desktop GPU. I believe the biggest difference between it and the 680 proper are the component clock speeds. Still, an underclocked 680 is still a mean piece of hardware. Well worth spending the extra cash for if you need it.

I gotta admit, it's inclusion is why I'm deeply considering buying an iMac for the first time.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
For Mac, windows was and has been a ugly competitor who sometimes wears sporty clothes, trying to copy and imitate mac. But when users get along with it, windows takes off its clothes and emits notorious smells.

I take it with comments like the above you are still in kindergatten? :rolleyes:

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I will take any iMac from any year against any Windows 8 machine.

Keep Windows 7 or get an iMac.

Aug 26, 2008
I will take any iMac from any year against any Windows 8 machine.

Keep Windows 7 or get an iMac.

I disagree, having used 8 now for awhile in conjunction with 7 and 10.8, 8 is better than 7 all the way. If you prefer OSX, 8 won't change your mind but once you actually experience and learn 8, I think it's unequivocally better than 7. I think all the "8 sucks!" stuff is just people who are completely resistant to anything new, or just want to sound intelligent and discerning. They aren't.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
im a windows 8 user, and i dont think that it was worth the money :S i had no need to upgrade.. for me all that changed was some cleaner UI

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
Windows Desktop PC's rarely use mobile processors & mobile GPU's though. Plus you can custom build to your required spec and upgrade any component you wish. You can't do that with an iMac.

:rolleyes: I'm tired of explaining this...(Don't mean to be rude, but I am tired of explaining this :) ) The iMac uses a DESKTOP CPU and RAM (and HDD depending on the model) . The discrete GPU is as good as most middle-high-end desktop GPUs. Most Windows desktops actually do come with IGP.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
I certainly don't know much about computer technology BUT, I know what I want my computer to do and NOT do. And for me the Mac system does what i want, where windows or pcs if you will did not.

As far as longevity, this is being typed from a 2005 I bookG4, not even a macbook.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Give it some time and see how stable Windows 8 is right now.

For problem free computing, Macs are and have been the best choice for some time now. It's too early to tell if a PC with Windows 8 is the better choice right now.

I plan on getting 8 but well after any bugs, if any, are taken out. On its face it sounds like the most ambitious thing from Microsoft in a long time.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I certainly don't know much about computer technology BUT, I know what I want my computer to do and NOT do. And for me the Mac system does what i want, where windows or pcs if you will did not.

As far as longevity, this is being typed from a 2005 I bookG4, not even a macbook.

Im not trying to start anything but can you tell me what can you do on a mac that cant do on a windows machine ? About longevity i have couple windows machine older than your G4 that works with no problem.

Again not trying to attack etc :) thanks.

----------

Give it some time and see how stable Windows 8 is right now.

For problem free computing, Macs are and have been the best choice for some time now. It's too early to tell if a PC with Windows 8 is the better choice right now.

I plan on getting 8 but well after any bugs, if any, are taken out. On its face it sounds like the most ambitious thing from Microsoft in a long time.

Agree

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Im not trying to start anything but can you tell me what can you do on a mac that cant do on a windows machine?

There can be a great deal of difference between two things that provide the same result. It is like going to a restaurant and having a takeaway or eating in. Both give the same result "eating food" but they bring about a very different experience. Windows is the takaway and Mac is eating in.

Would I rather sit down and eat my food on a table or would I prefer to walk out carrying it and eat it on my lap? Totally depends on what type of person you are and what you prefer. To be honest I am fed up of eating takeway on my lap and need a change for the better.

Ademordna

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
UK
There can be a great deal of difference between two things that provide the same result. It is like going to a restaurant and having a takeaway or eating in. Both give the same result "eating food" but they bring about a very different experience. Windows is the takaway and Mac is eating in.

Would I rather sit down and eat my food on a table or would I prefer to walk out carrying it and eat it on my lap? Totally depends on what type of person you are and what you prefer. To be honest I am fed up of eating takeway on my lap and need a change for the better.

This analogy has blown my mind ;)
For me personally, using Windows was analogous to trying to thread a needle in a darkroom. But I know many who are extremely content with it. Each to their own I guess.

Aug 26, 2008

This sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that you want a Mac. The grass isn't greener. I am an OSX user of 10 years, a computer scientist, and was once a huge fanboy of Apple. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Don't use OSX because you think it's "better". It is not. You may prefer it, but coming up with silly analogies to justify your choice is just wasting your own time.

If you actually take a little time to learn your system, you may find that Windows is amazing and/or awesome.

iLady

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Hawaii
Unbelievable

I switched 2 years ago - its true it just works! No stress. Put your money in the best mac you can afford - its an unbelievable experience especially for a windows user.

Go for a new Mac, whichever model you feel best serves your purpose and budget. You won't be sorry. OS X is an elegant operating system that is a pleasure to use and as people will often say, things just work.

People can say what they will about Windows or imply that your troubles with your current system are somehow your fault but the bottom line is that in your own personal experience Windows has been a real pain in the ass. Why put up with that when there is a superior alternative and you can afford it? What is your time worth? How about your sanity?

I switched back in May of this year and I love my iMac. It's a joy to use and hasn't given me a single problem of any kind. Everything just works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.