Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdad123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Hey guys I recently bought a used iPhone 4S for Verizon on Craigslist.

I checked the ESN on Verizon's online esn website and it said "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network" so I figured great, there shouldn't be a problem.

I went home and tried to activate it, and Verizon said that its already activated so they can't activate it onto my phone. I called the person I bought it from, and he told me they called Verizon and that it is deactivated from their account cause they upgraded to the 5. So I called Verizon and they said the same thing. I then called the seller again and they told him that they same thing as the first time, that its not active anymore on his account, but its active on another account (which isn't mine).

So basically... Did I get screwed over? I would think if the seller was just trying to sell a stolen phone or anything wouldn't respond to my texts, but it seems like they're doing everything they can to help me. I don't know what to do anymore.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Seems like you got screwed. I would have gone with the seller to a Verizon store to make sure that you could activate it on your account before buying.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Verizon's online ESN checking system is worthless. I once had a delinquent account with Verizon (I totally forgot about the account and never received a paper bill until it was like 2 months past-due...) and checked my phone's (a Galaxy Nexus) ESN on their website and it said the same thing, "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network." So to sum it all up, it doesn't work and you got screwed over.

asdad123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Verizon's online ESN checking system is worthless. I once had a delinquent account with Verizon (I totally forgot about the account and never received a paper bill until it was like 2 months past-due...) and checked my phone's (a Galaxy Nexus) ESN on their website and it said the same thing, "Your device is eligible to be activated on the Verizon Wireless network." So to sum it all up, it doesn't work and you got screwed over.

That's what I'm figuring, but I would think that the seller wouldnt answer my texts but they are lol.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
That's what I'm figuring, but I would think that the seller wouldnt answer my texts but they are lol.

Just mention the seller that Verizon told you the phone its stolen and that they advise to turn it in to the police. You'll see how he move his ass and help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.