Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I've never been to big of a fan of the iPhone, idk it just never appealed to me. So i went with android and i loved it and i still do but, when the iPhone 5 was announced I think it was finally time to jump ship and give it a try. The current android phones that Verizon offers didn't really feel like they are that much better than my nexus, and windows phone does look nice but there is very little support for the device 3rd party and in the dev community, so that leaves me with one device. The device's looks is what mostly got me. Just picked up the phone yesterday and its pretty damn good. Everything flows quickly and smoothly, not one bit of lag. I thought that the size was going to be a problem, i have a samsung galaxy nexus and that has a huge screen, but actually i find the size good for my hands.

I'm really digging the iPhone 5, its awesome! I plan on leaving it stock and not hacking it, which will be a first for me haha.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I really hope you enjoy your new smartphone. :) Feel free to ask questions here if you bump into problems. ;)

Oh, and before the flame war below starts (about how much better iOS is versus Android or Windows Phone): everybody has his or her own personal taste and what's the big deal if someone chooses one operating system over another?

Also, Apple is in fierce competition with both Google (Android) en Microsoft (Windows Phone) and I'm 100% certain that if Android and Windows Phone hadn't been here, iOS would not be as far as it is today. ;)

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
For me they could not get this jailbreak out soon enough, I'm the kind of man that changes things daily. Once you get a taste of jailbreak world its hard to go back to stock :p, ah i miss intelliscreenx

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
I've never been to big of a fan of the iPhone, idk it just never appealed to me. So i went with android and i loved it and i still do but, when the iPhone 5 was announced I think it was finally time to jump ship and give it a try. The current android phones that Verizon offers didn't really feel like they are that much better than my nexus, and windows phone does look nice but there is very little support for the device 3rd party and in the dev community, so that leaves me with one device. The device's looks is what mostly got me. Just picked up the phone yesterday and its pretty damn good. Everything flows quickly and smoothly, not one bit of lag. I thought that the size was going to be a problem, i have a samsung galaxy nexus and that has a huge screen, but actually i find the size good for my hands.

I'm really digging the iPhone 5, its awesome! I plan on leaving it stock and not hacking it, which will be a first for me haha.
I think you made a mistake but you will find out soon anyway!

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Congrats! Welcome! You will love the phone more and more as you find all the different great apps available for it! If you ever find yourself having trouble with it the answer is easy to find and remedy and most everyone here will be glad to help you! I have the 5 myself and could not be happier!

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Hi I've recently switched to an ip5 after having androids for a fair number of years.
Both have their good sides, i'm still missing SwiftKey but two weeks in, i'm quite happy to see my samsung go. Maybe in a couple of years i'll swap back, we shall see (at the moment i doubt it).

Enjoy your new purchase!

Snerch

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
New Jersey
Hi everyone. I got my iPhone 5 yesterday after two painful years with a Thunderbolt. This phone is so smooth. I do not miss the force closes, battery pulls and the phone freezing for no reason. Not to mention the difference in battery life, it is like night and day. I am looking forward to the many years to come with my iPhone!

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I assume you loved tinkering with your Nexus. If so, I recommend Jailbreaking the iPhone when it comes out
Yup I sure did love messing around with my nexus. I had 4.2 jelly bean right when the developers made a rom for it. I'm going to leave my iPhone stock, for now I'm content with it.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
hi OP and other Android users. I have used iPhone since original in 2007. It works with my apple ecosystem and I have been curious about android, but can't really seem to tell what the advantages are. Perhaps you can sum it up? I'm genuinely curious. I feel like apple does a great job in its advertising showing off its features, where as ads for android phones don't at all. A list of your top 5-10 features would be great? For me what I like about iOS is

1. Ecosystem integration
2. App walled garden - I simply feel safer that apps have been vetted from malware, etc. whether this is true or no, I don't know
3. Overall smoothness of interface and apps
4. Support over multiple iOS versions - I consider these free upgrades!

Thanks in advance for you insight

Marv89

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
hi OP and other Android users. I have used iPhone since original in 2007. It works with my apple ecosystem and I have been curious about android, but can't really seem to tell what the advantages are. Perhaps you can sum it up? I'm genuinely curious. I feel like apple does a great job in its advertising showing off its features, where as ads for android phones don't at all. A list of your top 5-10 features would be great? For me what I like about iOS is

1. Ecosystem integration
2. App walled garden - I simply feel safer that apps have been vetted from malware, etc. whether this is true or no, I don't know
3. Overall smoothness of interface and apps
4. Support over multiple iOS versions - I consider these free upgrades!

Thanks in advance for you insight

Get a Nexus and you'll have all 4 points fullfilled...

LGeX

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I made this jump about a month ago from the Galaxy S3. Kept getting sim card errors on Verizon's network. Got an iPhone 5 and fell in love. This phone is awesome.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Welcome to the good side.
The touch is more responsive and its overall a better design.

I like the S3 in some way.. but the iPhone 5 is superior.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Wish I could afford having a "hacking" phone but that'll be a while. Of course I could look for a really cheap 2nd carrier.

If you want an iPhone just for hacking, hit up eBay and get a used 3GS, they're pretty cheap these days and still run iOS 6.

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
Here, here! I got the gs3 after everyone convinced it was a much better choice than the iphone (I think it's trendy to hate on the iphone nowadays) and returned it a few days later and went for the ip5 64gb in white.

I should've followed my gut all along because I couldn't be happier I made the switch. :apple:

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
I love my Note 2 but will be getting the entry level white iPhone 5 tomorrow just to see what the fuss is all about :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
congrats

you won't find a better place to ask questions about your new smartphone. So many great people helped me when I first become iphone user.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I did the very same thing this past week.

You know what, I was expecting to be constantly infuriated with the lack of options and being able to do certain tasks. (Like I was when I first got the iPhone 4 a few years back) but now.... EVERYTHING just works.

iMessage is a revelation too in my book. Being able to send pics + messages using data via the usual sms app. SUPERB. This one thing saves me a fortune in MMS charges.

Just happens that the friend I message the most has an iPhone also, so it's working out great.

I'm an Android fanboy at heart, but Apple have got me now.

Not having to root out background processes to save battery life in itself is worth the change. The screen size on the 4 was too small for me, the 5 is just right for my usage.

My only gripe now is the battery life. I have a very poor 2G signal while at work and he battery takes a hammering. I can see it ticking down trying to do silly tasks like send a tweet.

Before I leave for work in the morning I could have 45mins to an hours usage and only lose a couple of % (on wifi).

Now, from an Android point of view, you would be down to 80% and that's being conservative.

So so happy with this phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I did the very same thing this past week.

You know what, I was expecting to be constantly infuriated with the lack of options and being able to do certain tasks. (Like I was when I first got the iPhone 4 a few years back) but now.... EVERYTHING just works.

iMessage is a revelation too in my book. Being able to send pics + messages using data via the usual sms app. SUPERB. This one thing saves me a fortune in MMS charges.

Just happens that the friend I message the most has an iPhone also, so it's working out great.

I'm an Android fanboy at heart, but Apple have got me now.

Not having to root out background processes to save battery life in itself is worth the change. The screen size on the 4 was too small for me, the 5 is just right for my usage.

My only gripe now is the battery life. I have a very poor 2G signal while at work and he battery takes a hammering. I can see it ticking down trying to do silly tasks like send a tweet.

Before I leave for work in the morning I could have 45mins to an hours usage and only lose a couple of % (on wifi).

Now, from an Android point of view, you would be down to 80% and that's being conservative.

So so happy with this phone.

I think the iPhone still gets a lot of hate from people who have not used it since like IOS 4. IOS 6 brought so many much needed improvements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.