Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I'm interested in finding out how people take advantage of their jail-broken iPhones or rooted Android phones. This could be useful for someone looking to enter a new ecosystem so I'll start off with why I rooted my phone:

1) Flashing ROMs
2) Using Titanium Backup
3) USB OTG
3) Nova Launcher requires root access for additional customization

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm interested in finding out how people take advantage of their jail-broken iPhones or rooted Android phones. This could be useful for someone looking to enter a new ecosystem so I'll start off with why I rooted my phone:

1) Flashing ROMs
2) Using Titanium Backup
3) USB OTG
3) Nova Launcher requires root access for additional customization

I wasn't exactly sure why I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it. But as a long time jailbreaker I knew I wanted too! :)

However, just heard about this today, to hide the nav buttons and status bar on my N4:
http://ppareit.github.com/HideBar/

So already I am happy I rooted. I am only using the demo version of Hide Bar because I was hoping something a little better would come out. Hide Bar only has a few options for how to get the nav buttons/status bar back and they are all problematic for games (one of the main reasons I wanted to hide the nav buttons). Also, I wish there was a button combo that could trigger it.

I DO want USB OTG too. Any pointers on that, if it is available for the N4 yet?

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I wasn't exactly sure why I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it. But as a long time jailbreaker I knew I wanted too! :)

However, just heard about this today, to hide the nav buttons and status bar on my N4:
http://ppareit.github.com/HideBar/

So already I am happy I rooted. I am only using the demo version of Hide Bar because I was hoping something a little better would come out. Hide Bar only has a few options for how to get the nav buttons/status bar back and they are all problematic for games (one of the main reasons I wanted to hide the nav buttons). Also, I wish there was a button combo that could trigger it.

I DO want USB OTG too. Any pointers on that, if it is available for the N4 yet?

Michael

You can try using the app StickMount. According to the people over at XDA, USB OTG should work on the Nexus 4 but it doesn't at the moment due to a firmware issue. You can view the thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1966864&page=11

I would still recommend you to try out that app. On my S2, I don't even need this app. I can simple plug in my usb and I can view it in any file explorer.

----------

That is a good find. Michael, I believe you it was you who said that he missed a physical home button. You might want to give this app a try:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.ponury.pgm2

They also have a free version, but with a time limit.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
You can try using the app StickMount. According to the people over at XDA, USB OTG should work on the Nexus 4 but it doesn't at the moment due to a firmware issue. You can view the thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1966864&page=11

I would still recommend you to try out that app. On my S2, I don't even need this app. I can simple plug in my usb and I can view it in any file explorer.
I plugged in a USB drive using the cable that came with the N4 but it didn't show up. Hopefully can get that working soon.

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
No, I am retarded. I thought I could just use the regular USB cable if the software worked. Didn't realize I had to have the OTG adapter. Dang! Will be ordering one for sure!

Michael

Lol. It's Ok. I was just wondering how you used the charging cable to connect a USB. I ordered mines from eBay, but the one from Amazon looks better. And you can't really beat the price.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Lol. It's Ok. I was just wondering how you used the charging cable to connect a USB. I ordered mines from eBay, but the one from Amazon looks better. And you can't really beat the price.

Yes that price is awesome. Alas the shipping time is way long... Amazon warned it could arrive after Christmas. I'll pay another few bucks to get it sooner. :)

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Cool is there a similar app where you could do gestures while the phone is in your pockets to control music settings?

Do you mean like holding the volume keys or shaking to skip tracks. In that case, you have several options.

1) Flash a new ROM that has this feature built in.
2) Head over to XDA and look for a mode for your particular device. Here's one.

If you're not comfortable with this, try these:
3) Some music players have this feature, eg. playerpro and MIUI music player( get it from here). This is a great music player and it's free. But it only offers shake to skip.
4) Try an app like Just Shake.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Cool is there a similar app where you could do gestures while the phone is in your pockets to control music settings?

PGM2 has the option of using a gesture to move to the next track.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353495305860.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353495305860.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 86

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I rooted my Xoom so I could overclock it to make Playstation emulators run smooth. Can't wait for my 32gb N10 to get here, emulators should run smooth out of the box on that Exynos 5 w/ 2gb of ram.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
So could get Multiview on my Galaxy Note 2 to use any app i wanted so i could watch T.V and browse the net, sweeeeet :D

Screenshot_2012-11-21-22-18-50.png

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I haven't jailbroken my iPhone since iPhone 1, and I only did that so I could install 3rd party apps before the Appstore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.