Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G8MBA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Hi. I am trying to develop an Iphone app in flash although I really need some help as to where to start with the code. I want to be able to connect to a computer through wireless and be able to access text on the device and computer as well as have access to keyboard input. For the iphone to control the computer. I know this is possible I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If I ever complete the app I will post a link to it on this thread as I believe it would be extremely handy to anyone on a computer with an iPhone

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
If I ever complete the app I will post a link to it on this thread as I believe it would be extremely handy to anyone on a computer with an iPhone

Mod Note: Please be sure to review (and follow) the Guidelines for Software Developers before you consider posting a link to your app in this thread. Reason being: such a link would be in violation of the Guidelines and would be removed.

G8MBA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2012
Thanks

Thank you for letting me know. I will be sure not to post it but some help would be appreciated. =]

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Hi. I am trying to develop an Iphone app in flash although I really need some help as to where to start with the code. I want to be able to connect to a computer through wireless and be able to access text on the device and computer as well as have access to keyboard input. For the iphone to control the computer. I know this is possible I just need to be pointed in the right direction. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If I ever complete the app I will post a link to it on this thread as I believe it would be extremely handy to anyone on a computer with an iPhone

How do you know this is possible? Specifically, how do you know it's possible using Flash? Please post the URL or other reference that describes this.

First, Flash is not a native development system for iOS. It's translated using Adobe tools:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/abansod_iphone.html

So the best you could expect is that what you want to accomplish (controlling another computer) is both expressible in Flash, and is supported by Adobe's translator tools. If one or the other isn't true, you're stuck.

(Link found with Google search terms: iphone app in flash. It's worth you doing the search yourself, to see what else is out there.)

Second, the app you describe is basically a VNC client:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Network_Computing

These typically use the RFB protocol. If Flash already supports the RFB protocol, then you should be able to make it work. You'd have to refer to the Flash documentation for how to do this, or maybe spend some time searching the web for examples of using RFB from Flash.

If Flash doesn't support the RFB protocol, then you'll have to write that support yourself (assuming it's possible at all), or find a Flash library somewhere on the web that provides RFB protocol for you.

If you know nothing about RFB or network protocols, then you'll have even more studying and developing to do before you even begin writing the actual app.

Third, if you're just going to write a VNC client for iOS, those apps already exist. Google search terms: vnc client iphone

I frankly don't see how writing another VNC client in Flash is a benefit to anyone. You might learn something from the process, but since it would be confined to Flash, which is not a widely used language for iOS, that doesn't seem like a very marketable skill.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
There appear to be several dozens of VNC, RDP and even X11 apps that do approximately what you describe already in the iOS App Store. If you had done some research on the idea you would already have found them. You might have even have found some to be based on open source code. Mostly C or C++ code though. Not sure why attempting to do this in Flash on iOS would be of any interest, if even possible, as the difficulty would be high, and the result very slow.

Wifi connectivity would be the least of your concerns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.