Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drkash

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
UK
I've now bought 3 lightning cables from 2 different ebay uk sellers and all 3 cables charge and sych. The only problem with 1 cable is its a tight fit, the other 2 are ok

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I got a flat on my BMW and it was about $1500 to replace the tire.

All I have to say is get a spare tire. $50-100 for a spare rim from online or the dealership, $100 for the temporary spare from TireRack. Don't buy runflats anymore, though if you do, they can be patched contrary to what BMW says; you just need to make sure (1) it's not structurally compromised, so switch to spare tire when you get a puncture even if you have runflats, (2) it's not on the sidewall, (3) use both the plug and glued patch method to repair.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
All I have to say is get a spare tire. $50-100 for a spare rim from online or the dealership, $100 for the temporary spare from TireRack. Don't buy runflats anymore, though if you do, they can be patched contrary to what BMW says; you just need to make sure (1) it's not structurally compromised, so switch to spare tire when you get a puncture even if you have runflats, (2) it's not on the sidewall, (3) use both the plug and glued patch method to repair.

Yeahh, my father got a little bothered with me replacing the tire, haha

I don't mind the runflats.

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Not to jack this thread, but show me a tire for a BMW that costs $1,500....

No.. i'm probably off.. haha

It was a while ago. Maybe it was the whole wheel? I don't quite recall.

That wasn't the point though.. stop pointing out my mistakes :mad:

khsjsilver

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Princeton, NJ

The poster's point was that paying 10% for an accessory is a lot.

$20 cable is to a $200 phone as a $3500 tire is to a $35,000 car.

If you purchased a $35,000 car, should you then be okay with paying $3,500 for a tire?

In this case, I think the charger would be more comparable to a set of tires, rather than one tire. And with my car, that would mean a set of tires is close to $6,000. And it's right around 10% of the price of my vehicle.

The comparison is flawed, because most people don't pay for their cars outright.

My mind says that if you have $200+ to buy an iPhone and can afford the monthly plan, you *should* have an extra $20 laying around to purchase a lightning cable or you are probably pretty bad with money.

But if you take out a loan to pay on a $35,000 car monthly, that does not mean that you should have $3500 laying around for a set of tires.

My, I'm verbose this evening. Sorry

I hate these analogies.

It's like saying that if you buy a luxury car, should you should be able to afford premium gas.

I can afford the $20 for a oem cable and I can afford premium gas. But if I can pay a lower price for a comparable product, that's what I want to do. For me, paying a higher price just for a named product is like throwing money in the garbage. I work hard for my money and won't throw it away!

The important term is "comparable" and that's what this thread should be. Is there a comparable cable for a lower price??

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I hate these analogies.

It's like saying that if you buy a luxury car, should you should be able to afford premium gas.

I can afford the $20 for a oem cable and I can afford premium gas. But if I can pay a lower price for a comparable product, that's what I want to do. For me, paying a higher price just for a named product is like throwing money in the garbage. I work hard for my money and won't throw it away!

The important term is "comparable" and that's what this thread should be. Is there a comparable cable for a lower price??

No there isn't. Apple is controlling these things tightly, there are no cables that will compare like the one Apple sells. People can tell you to buy a knockoff but they will never be as good. So yes you should buy a premium if you expect it to be good.

chocoyo00

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
SoCal
I still can't get over someone paying $1500 for one tire, sorry lol.. But yeah buy a $20 OE cable, unless you want to use the $10 savings for some apps?? :)

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
I hate these analogies.

Let's just get this straight: THIS WAS NOT MY ANALOGY!!!

I just explained it :(

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
I think maybe in future there can be good alternative cables just to early right now only apple ones are decent til 3rd party quality increases

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Buy oem buy two from Sprint for $34 with tax as they have 20% off 2 accessories and sell one on eBay for $30 or to a fellow iPhone customer

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

The poster's point was that paying 10% for an accessory is a lot.

$20 cable is to a $200 phone as a $3500 tire is to a $35,000 car.

If you purchased a $35,000 car, should you then be okay with paying $3,500 for a tire?

In this case, I think the charger would be more comparable to a set of tires, rather than one tire. And with my car, that would mean a set of tires is close to $6,000. And it's right around 10% of the price of my vehicle.

The comparison is flawed, because most people don't pay for their cars outright.

My mind says that if you have $200+ to buy an iPhone and can afford the monthly plan, you *should* have an extra $20 laying around to purchase a lightning cable or you are probably pretty bad with money.

But if you take out a loan to pay on a $35,000 car monthly, that does not mean that you should have $3500 laying around for a set of tires.

My, I'm verbose this evening. Sorry

Except the phone is $650-$850, not $200.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Yes $20 is a lot of money but buying all these apple products isn't lmao
You made two posts saying virtually the exact same thing in the same thread. No one cares about your post count FYI.

Nothing wrong with the OP wanting to save $10 or so. It's nothing to do with whether the cord is affordable but to do with finding the cheapest option because if you can get something that works exactly the same for half the price it makes sense to buy the cheaper one.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
You made two posts saying virtually the exact same thing in the same thread. No one cares about your post count FYI.

Nothing wrong with the OP wanting to save $10 or so. It's nothing to do with whether the cord is affordable but to do with finding the cheapest option because if you can get something that works exactly the same for half the price it makes sense to buy the cheaper one.

Obviously you care if you are making a big stinker out of it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yes paying $200 at the least base price for an iPhone is okay but paying for a working lightning cord for $20 is bank breaking.

I think you have to look at what you get for your money.

£15 for a lightning cable from Apple. Generic MicroUSB cables can be picked up for like £3. The Apple Tax is high!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
From an engineering point of view, I'm sure it's worth the money, but consumers don't care about that stuff.

I just use it as a charger and for connecting to my PC. Other cables that accomplish those two tasks very well cost about a fifth of the price.

Whatever works for you man, with apple products you buy support and reliability, who else buys 3 year old phones for $200? Lol Apple products always have tons of resale value too. Which has nothing to do with this convo since we are talking about a cord but hey I'd rather have an official charger so if anything happens I can say that I have been using official accessories.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I just paid the $20 from Apple. I am done buying cheap cords from eBay and stuff. Sometimes they work, sometimes they work only a few weeks, and sometimes not at all. All that time I spent I lost, so I now pay that $20 and I am done. I know it will work and won't have any issues.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Whatever works for you man, with apple products you buy support and reliability, who else buys 3 year old phones for $200? Lol Apple products always have tons of resale value too. Which has nothing to do with this convo since we are talking about a cord but hey I'd rather have an official charger so if anything happens I can say that I have been using official accessories.

Same here: I'd just prefer it if the official accessories were cheaper :p

£15 is expensive; especially if you want to buy the plug to use it as a second charger too. That's another £15. £30 for a charger is insane!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.