Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
That is nuts. I was going to buy the mini there but walked away :(

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Woah! That's why you shouldn't get it from stores like that. Target has the best return policy. I could have return it by Jan 2013 (opened) for a full cash return.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Maybe. Try looking at it from a merchant angle, as is if you owned a computer store and offered brand new merchandise for sale. Let's say a customer walks in buys your product takes it home and plays with it and then says well you know what, I just don't want to play with it anymore I'm bored. So he brings it back, you give him a full refund and now you have to sell it as a used one for a lot less. In essence you have allowed your customer to "borrow" a new machine and "play" with it temporarily and return it and get his money back. Conceivably, your customer could do this all year long: buy a machine use it for a month or two, bring it back, etc., well you get the idea.

I am looking at this purely from a business point of view. Companies (large or small) cannot afford to let customers take home merchandise, use them, and get a full refund without suffering some economic loss.

BestBuy, for example, allows you to buy a product, use it for two months, bring it back and get a full refund (silver members) no questions asked. They in turn must sell your return at a loss as a used item. How long do you think the economy can support this?

Just my 2 cents...

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I hear what you are saying but the fee was even if unopened! No thanks :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Best buy is chill too, January 24th is return deadline since its holiday , can be opened , no restocking or hassle from the employees. They couldn't care less if you don't like whatever you bought

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Maybe. Try looking at it from a merchant angle, as is if you owned a computer store and offered brand new merchandise for sale. Let's say a customer walks in buys your product takes it home and plays with it and then says well you know what, I just don't want to play with it anymore I'm bored. So he brings it back, you give him a full refund and now you have to sell it as a used one for a lot less. In essence you have allowed your customer to "borrow" a new machine and "play" with it temporarily and return it and get his money back. Conceivably, your customer could do this all year long: buy a machine use it for a month or two, bring it back, etc., well you get the idea.

I am looking at this purely from a business point of view. Companies (large or small) cannot afford to let customers take home merchandise, use them, and get a full refund without suffering some economic loss.

BestBuy, for example, allows you to buy a product, use it for two months, bring it back and get a full refund (silver members) no questions asked. They in turn must sell your return at a loss as a used item. How long do you think the economy can support this?

Just my 2 cents...

Agreed. Just look at some posts here. Some people wanted to buy the wifi iPad mini and use that until the LTE one came out, then return the wifi one. All because they couldn't wait a few weeks.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Woah! That's why you shouldn't get it from stores like that. Target has the best return policy. I could have return it by Jan 2013 (opened) for a full cash return.

I had a complete opposite experience here in SoCal. The Target store would not let me return an opened iPad mini. They said electronics carry a different policy that's invisible to the consumers and the store can interpret it the way they want to. I called guest relation and they said I should be able to even if opened. I already left the store so I wasn't able to let the store manager talk to corporate. Honestly it's not worth the trouble. Try best buy I think they carry a better policy in regards to electronics.

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Yep, I agree if it is opened, you should pay a restocking fee or not be able to return the item.

Now if it is unopened and unused and within a reasonable amount of time, should be no hassle to return.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
I had a complete opposite experience here in SoCal. The Target store would not let me return an opened iPad mini. They said electronics carry a different policy that's invisible to the consumers and the store can interpret it the way they want to. I called guest relation and they said I should be able to even if opened. I already left the store so I wasn't able to let the store manager talk to corporate. Honestly it's not worth the trouble. Try best buy I think they carry a better policy in regards to electronics.

If you don't mind, exactly which SoCal store?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

Oh wow. Definitely not like that here. I called 7 stores in my area, and they said I could return mines, which I did yesterday. It was opened.

I got the N7 until white becomes available in stores. I guess I'll have to be patient, or just order online and wait 2 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.