Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
SF Bay Area and Chicago Area
They put this on sale which is rare. My question is for those with experience, what if you do not have your Macbook or whatever device with you that you you downloaded it to? What happens when im at work using a pc and need to get into my bank account for example. Sorry for the questions but I have MS and my memory just slips on me sometimes. I need something that is secure but simple at the same time. Thanks for any input.

Terry

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
You can access your passwords through a dropbox link. That means knowing 2 passwords.

When I don't have my mac... basically I wish I do. I purchased the windows version, just because it was getting annoying at work.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
So does it make sense to just purchase for the macbook and iphone. When im on the run and i need to get a password to a site of mine i just log in from my iphone to view password and then type into outside computer?

Be careful, they are releasing 1Password 4 for iOS, and you won't get the free upgrade from 3.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So does it make sense to just purchase for the macbook and iphone. When im on the run and i need to get a password to a site of mine i just log in from my iphone to view password and then type into outside computer?
That's what I do... that way I can refer to my phone for any of my passwords. Just don't forget your 1Password... password. :p

And yeah... I guess the new version is coming out, so just wait.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
The Mac App Store version will be a free upgrade to v4.

And it is discounted to $36.99 AU / $34.99 US right now (30% off)

Do you think now is a good time to purchase the 1Password for Mac?
Or do you think there will be a better discount near v4 release or Christmas time?

I've heard the Universal iOS App v4 will be discounted to $7.99 at release.

Last edited:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011

Or do you think there will be a better discount near v4 release or Christmas time?

1Password doesn't go on sale very often, so yes, now is a good time to get it for Mac (again, I'd wait on the iOS version). Plus, the current version is excellent in its own right.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

The major updates V3 to V4 are not free.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
The major updates V3 to V4 are not free.

1Password 4 for Mac is a free upgrade for users who purchase from the Mac App Store. This is _only_ for the Mac App Store. For background, this was an offer we made when we initially made the Mac App Store version available. It's an ongoing thing now.

1Password 4 for iOS version is a paid upgrade (a separate app) from version 3 with an introductory price of $7.99.

So, if you purchase from the Mac App Store while it is on sale, you are effectively getting 1Password 4 for free. Only for the Mac.

Remember, we cannot bundle iOS and Mac apps together. So they are separate products.

1Password 3 is not being abandoned on Mac or iOS. We will continue to support it and provide bug fixes. They won't be receiving new features, but we aren't going to leave existing users without any options. We want you to be happy and as a result we will continue to support 1Password 3 for iOS and for Mac even after 1Password 4 is released. It changes nothing for those products.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Hey Kyle

can't he just get the Mac App Store version for his mac and at work on his PC leverage the free 1PasswordAnywhere for read only access?

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Hey Kyle

can't he just get the Mac App Store version for his mac and at work on his PC leverage the free 1PasswordAnywhere for read only access?

That's one way you can do it. But due to browser changes it's best to access it from Dropbox.com (not the Dropbox folder on your computer, but the actual Dropbox.com site)

The other is to send us a receipt (see the url in my signature) for the purchase of the Mac App Store version and we'll create a coupon to get the Windows version at a discount.

We do the discount for the website purchased version of 1Password, so this is effectively allowing us to do the same for the Mac App Store version.

Of course, anyone with questions or concerns regarding 1Password 4 should contact us directly. See the link in my signature.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
1Password 4 for Mac is a free upgrade for users who purchase from the Mac App Store. This is _only_ for the Mac App Store. For background, this was an offer we made when we initially made the Mac App Store version available. It's an ongoing thing now.

I got 1Password for the Mac, free, here several years ago as a promotion. I didn't use it for a year or so but about a year ago I installed it and have been hooked ever since. I have been waiting for v4 before buying at the MAS; but now that you say it's a free upgrade, I just went and purchased it to support 1Password because it is by FAR one of the most useful applications I have. Wonderful product!

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The other is to send us a receipt (see the url in my signature) for the purchase of the Mac App Store version and we'll create a coupon to get the Windows version at a discount.

We do the discount for the website purchased version of 1Password, so this is effectively allowing us to do the same for the Mac App Store version.

See this is "service" a dying art for those enthralled with "race to the bottom" approaches.

Can't wait to give you guys some 1Password 4 money.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
See this is "service" a dying art for those enthralled with "race to the bottom" approaches.

Can't wait to give you guys some 1Password 4 money.

We really think you'll enjoy 1Password 4. There's much we haven't shown anyone yet. So keep your eyes peeled on our blog for more details :)

Thanks for the compliment though, I'll be sure to pass it along to the rest of the team so they can see!

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
That's one way you can do it. But due to browser changes it's best to access it from Dropbox.com (not the Dropbox folder on your computer, but the actual Dropbox.com site)

I want to buy the family license for Mac and PC (I already have it, but for wife and family). Is that only available on the webstore or can I get it on Mac store then get the PC discount by emailing the receipt.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Any hints as to when we will see v4 released for Mac and iOS? Thanks!

Sorry, no time frame for the Mac release. We wouldn't announce the iOS app though if it wasn't close though.

I want to buy the family license for Mac and PC (I already have it, but for wife and family). Is that only available on the webstore or can I get it on Mac store then get the PC discount by emailing the receipt.

The Mac App Store is effectively a family license. It can be installed on any Mac using Lion or later and is using the same AppleID for the Mac App Store. If your family fits that bill, you can get the family license buying the Mac App Store app. Due to the free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Mac this way, I do suggest it if it is at all possible.

For the Family license for Windows, yup, send us the copy of the receipt and we'll make a coupon for the discount.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
When I switched from a Palm Treo 650 to an iPhone one major hurdle was a password manager. On the Treo I used Password Plus. It was bearable but not by much.

Searching for alternatives I found 1Password. Have not looked back. It is THE program I recommend to anyone. It is that good.

Waiting for 1Password 4 on iOS and OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.