Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I'm use to the App store where Apple screens all apps prior to them becoming available for download. From what I understand, anyone can upload anything to the Android app market, including fake versions of apps, viruses, trojans, etc.

1. Does Google screen any apps?
2. Is the only way to ensure you are not downloading a virus to download apps with lots of positive reviews?

Thanks.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
I'm use to the App store where Apple screens all apps prior to them becoming available for download. From what I understand, anyone can upload anything to the Android app market, including fake versions of apps, viruses, trojans, etc.

2. Is the only way to ensure you are not downloading a virus to download apps with lots of positive reviews?

Thanks.

If you want to learn about the process of publishing an app in the Google Play store go here: http://developer.android.com/distribute/googleplay/publish/preparing.html
Generally, most apps should be safe. Though from time to time, apps with malware and other viruses do sneak past them but this happens with the App Store too and they are generally removed fairly quickly. If you really are that paranoid, download antivirus software such as this one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus
I, personally, have never used any sort of antivirus software so I have no idea how well they work but this one does seem to work if the reviews are anything to go by..

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
All apps submitted to the play store are published immediately. There's no screening of any kind.

Google has some kind of malware scanner that removes bad apps in the store, so it's reactive rather than proactive.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Thanks.

Android malware perspective: only 0.5% comes from the Play Store

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Andr...ve-only-0.5-comes-from-the-Play-Store_id36696

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Google does not release apps in the Samsungstore at all (sorry to be so pedantic), but there is a difference in Samsung App Store and Googla App Store. Samsung App Store isn't google as much as Google is Samsung.

http://www.samsungapps.com

https://play.google.com/store

Edit: I read Android App Store as Samsung App Store - must be drunk or something .. Never mind.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I believe Amazon curate their app store so if you wanted curated android apps, Amazon is the way to go.

You can protect yourself by always checking permissions apps have when installing them, looking into the developer's history and ratings (of their other apps too).
Edit:

Approval Process and Content Guidelines

Q: How does the app approval process work?
Our goal is for customers to have a good experience with every app they acquire from Amazon. As a result, we may test the apps you submit prior to making them available to verify that each app works as outlined in your product description, does not impair the functionality of the mobile device or put customer data at risk once installed, and complies with the terms of the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Program Agreement and our Content Guidelines. For clarity, our intent is not to be prescriptive in terms of what constitutes good app design. Amazon is a big believer in innovation, and we hope to feature many creative and innovative apps.

When you submit an app in the Amazon Mobile App Distribution Portal, we will start the app review process. You can track the approval status of your app at any time by signing in to the Distribution Portal and finding your app in the Dashboard on the homepage. If we have a question about your app during the review process or determine it does not meet one of Amazon’s acceptance criteria, we will notify you using the e-mail address associated with your account and provide guidance on next steps. We will also notify you once your app successfully completes the testing process. At that point, your app will be made available to publish and merchandize on Amazon Apps.

Last edited:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I trust Google that the apps in the play store are safe, but side loading apps are done at your own risk.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I've been using android for several years and have never gotten malware. I also side load quite a few apps which is where the majority of malware is from.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012

Thanks.

If you got to ask that question, then you already know you are taking a chance. Do you ask that same question about Apple or any other store? The scary part is that most people that get a virus or compromised never knows about it until its too late.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Reviews reviews reviews, read them. Chances are the publisher is legit if their products are getting good reviews. I have been with android for 2 years (short compared to some) and haven't came across any naughty apps.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You'd have to just be trying to fill up the phone with random apps to get malware. I've never had an issue. There is only so much an app can really access, if you were rooted then you'd be a bit more at risk. Same applies to jailbreak, but if you aren't stupid then its not a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.