Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Theme?

• Mine

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Colleague's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
im having a conflict over the theme of our app with a colleague,

we're making a dress app, and i want it to look elegant, nice, simple, and clean, and something girls would like, its not overly girly because obviously im not a girl, but i think my background would appeal to women alot more than my partners

my colleague, wants the app to look unique, which in turn looks horribly disgusting and tacky. like i an downloaded this app, without considering the functionality, if it looks tacky, its almost clear to assume that its a tic tac app that isnt dependable.

here are the screen shots, tell me which looks better, i pretty much think is a no brainer.

heres the one i want

2v8h16v.png

and heres my colleague's

2r5z5t1.png

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I agree that your colleague's design is "horribly disgusting and tacky". Your one is clearly the better of the two, but having said that it does look perhaps a little plain and understated. Maybe you can find a way to add a bit more brightness and character to it without making it look tacky and unfashionable!

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I agree that your colleague's design is "horribly disgusting and tacky". Your one is clearly the better of the two, but having said that it does look perhaps a little plain and understated. Maybe you can find a way to add a bit more brightness and character to it without making it look tacky and unfashionable!

yes well initially, my version was the first one, and since he wanted to put more "character" to is since it was too simple.

i told him to lets just use this till we find a better theme and such.

my theme is already on the appstore, and i feel like if we upload a new version with that ugly theme, i feel like its going to discourage people of using it and have the customer (that we made the app for) is going to complain since its so ugly

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Also, i'd recommand, if you're going custom style on the nav bar, why not on the tab bar? Would go great with it.. Not that big fan of the "dotted-background" thing though.

Or even better, get rid of the tab bar and replace it with some sort of custom navigation.

Tab bars waste so much screen space - which could otherwise be used to show off your client's products - and IMO 99% of the apps that use tab bars would actually be simpler and more usable without them.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Your theme is much better. Its cleaner and simple. His version would be a definite downgrade.

Is the coloured bit in his style your logo?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
#1 is definitely better.

Having said that, neither is particularly good looking.

A few things I would do if I were focusing on making the visuals better:

The first two tab icons don't make much sense to me. The third makes some sense, but it's cluttered and ugly.
1 - I would suggest replacing the first icon with a clock or something else that says "These items are new"... the current icon says "This is where you keep notes for yourself."
2 - Second one should be a star. The current icon says "This is where you tell your friends about things you find."
3 - Simplify the icon. Maybe replace it with just a lone folder that's roughly the same size as the other tabs.
4 - I'd probably swap tabs 1 and 2 around... it seems like people are generally more interested in what's popular than what is new.

Or maybe just get rid of the tab bar altogether and find a different thing to do.

Certainly the tab bar should use a light color like in Pinterest if you're going to use a light color everywhere else.

5 - Every picture should have the same color background. Make it more seamless.
6 - Don't cut off at the ankles on any pictures.
7 - If those middle icons are buttons, I'd suggest making them look more like buttons... possibly give them some texture that says "Hey, something happens when you touch me." Although maybe it'd obvious enough already.
8 - Get rid of the numbers on top of the pictures. Do they serve a purpose? Can that purpose be served elsewhere? I imagine when you tap the icon, it'll take you to a details page. That number might go on the details page. I see no reason for it to go in the galleries.

Oh, and regarding adding color, I disagree. The products should be what gets user attention - the UI shouldn't draw any attention to itself. Except maybe branding... although even then, I think branding is best kept to a minimum.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Are you referring to the "refresh" and "search" icons? If so, I agree.

No, but I meant to mention that elsewhere in my list. I was referring to the pictures of girls in dresses. The rounded border already suggests it but I think some kind of 3D effect might make it more obvious. Maybe not though - the built in photos gallery already just uses a grid of thumbnails, so maybe that's enough to say "I'm more than a picture - you should touch me."

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Have to agree with most the others here, yours is closer to a nice answer. Neither really jump out and scream Fashion App though. The language just doesn't seem right or the iconery that goes with them. It just don't seem to play to how girls talk about fashion/clothes. Check out some of the fashion blogs like The Sartorialist or similar.

ie. If collections refers Designers and labels then I don't get a shopping basket. Would think some think like a signature or a stitched label.

Also think of the viral marketing you can get. Girls will show friends a new dress they are thinking of buying and talk about it and options. You want to make that really really easy for them to do with your app. That way all the friends get to see your app and how good it is. Maybe first tab is the wishlist collection instead of new so they can always open app hit first tab.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If both of you are primarily coders/programmers, then you're scr*wed. Hire an art director/designer with a track record in the fashion industry and let them design the look and UI theme for your app.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
damn thanks for all the great feedback, didnt think id get this many good suggestions/advices

im thankful for every reply

:)

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
im having a conflict over the theme of our app with a colleague,

we're making a dress app, and i want it to look elegant, nice, simple, and clean, and something girls would like, its not overly girly because obviously im not a girl, but i think my background would appeal to women alot more than my partners

my colleague, wants the app to look unique, which in turn looks horribly disgusting and tacky. like i an downloaded this app, without considering the functionality, if it looks tacky, its almost clear to assume that its a tic tac app that isnt dependable.

here are the screen shots, tell me which looks better, i pretty much think is a no brainer.

heres the one i want

and heres my colleague's

Needs more pink :p

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
#1 is definitely better.

Having said that, neither is particularly good looking.

A few things I would do if I were focusing on making the visuals better:

The first two tab icons don't make much sense to me. The third makes some sense, but it's cluttered and ugly.
1 - I would suggest replacing the first icon with a clock or something else that says "These items are new"... the current icon says "This is where you keep notes for yourself."
2 - Second one should be a star. The current icon says "This is where you tell your friends about things you find."
3 - Simplify the icon. Maybe replace it with just a lone folder that's roughly the same size as the other tabs.
4 - I'd probably swap tabs 1 and 2 around... it seems like people are generally more interested in what's popular than what is new.

Or maybe just get rid of the tab bar altogether and find a different thing to do.

Certainly the tab bar should use a light color like in Pinterest if you're going to use a light color everywhere else.

5 - Every picture should have the same color background. Make it more seamless.
6 - Don't cut off at the ankles on any pictures.
7 - If those middle icons are buttons, I'd suggest making them look more like buttons... possibly give them some texture that says "Hey, something happens when you touch me." Although maybe it'd obvious enough already.
8 - Get rid of the numbers on top of the pictures. Do they serve a purpose? Can that purpose be served elsewhere? I imagine when you tap the icon, it'll take you to a details page. That number might go on the details page. I see no reason for it to go in the galleries.

Oh, and regarding adding color, I disagree. The products should be what gets user attention - the UI shouldn't draw any attention to itself. Except maybe branding... although even then, I think branding is best kept to a minimum.

1. yeah thats what i've been thinking, i wanted to merge the two viewcontrollers, because it seems useless to have both and a waste of space, i was thinking merging the two and having a colored badge type thing on the top left corner of each product thats new saying "new" and renaming tab to "Whats Hot" or "Hot" with a fire icon or something.

3. i didn't understand what u said, are you talking about my categories icon?

5. this is nearly impossible, as we don't take picture. we pull the images from their database through our companies ERP program (main program), our costumers themselves have to be consistent with it. but we've told them to use the same background from now on.

7. i didn't think of it, but i would be nice, i was thinking shading or some sort of border.

8. yea i don't really see the point, but my colleague wanted it there, but i don't see the point, that product number would only be beneficial to wholesalers that buy from that company. most of the users are not going to know the product numbers at all, but the products don't have names, so i don't know what to replace it with.

and again thanks.

and yeah my colleague wanted the colors because of the brand, wanted to mach the brands color, but i dont want to make it ugly, im pretty damn sure people are not going to care if the app theme matches the brand's colors. and rather prefer a more cleaner smooth look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.