Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hey guys, maybe I am missing something but I've searched and searched and haven't found a solution....Basically, I am looking to enable double tap on the trackpad to equal a click, NOT single tap.

Single tap is available in the control panel, but it is too easy to unintentionally click stuff....Double tap to clink prevents accidental clicks and it worked wonderfully on my HP laptop. How can I enable it on my MBP? :confused:

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hey guys, maybe I am missing something but I've searched and searched and haven't found a solution....Basically, I am looking to enable double tap on the trackpad to equal a click, NOT single tap.

Single tap is available in the control panel, but it is too easy to unintentionally click stuff....Double tap to clink prevents accidental clicks and it worked wonderfully on my HP laptop. How can I enable it on my MBP? :confused:

I've always double tapped on folders with the tap to click enabled.

Things that'll require a single tap are links on the internet and dock icons.

Which is also how it works on windows, as far as I know. (links, and stuff in the menu bar)

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Not how it worked for me....On Windows, you double tap on everything to equal a click. Single tapping did nothing. Now, single tap does stuff on my MBP and I want to disable it and enabled double tap to click instead.

Is that possible? :confused: It has to be for how much I paid for this thing and the amount of people that use OS X....There are only a few of us Linux users but already I can see Linux is a lot more customizable.....

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Not how it worked for me....On Windows, you double tap on everything to equal a click. Single tapping did nothing. Now, single tap does stuff on my MBP and I want to disable it and enabled double tap to click instead.

Is that possible? :confused: It has to be for how much I paid for this thing and the amount of people that use OS X....There are only a few of us Linux users but already I can see Linux is a lot more customizable.....

Did you consider trying BetterTouchTool?

It probably can be done through plists but many find BetterTouchTool a very convenient for customising so why not give it a chance?

I personally find double-tap to click very annoying and I prefer physical click instead. ymmv :cool:

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
double tap for a single click is the stupidest thing i've heard today. if you want that feature, the previous post mentioning bettertouchtool (which is free) can probably do it.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried it and it sucks if I am being honest....It is a very slow tool and lags significantly.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried it and it sucks if I am being honest....It is a very slow tool and lags significantly.
it lags?/?
im using it in a core duo with no problems and been using it for years in many MacBooks pro no problem.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Yes, it lags.

Try dragging a window to the top, and count how long it takes for it to actually maximize. There is at least a full second delay. I need it to be instant.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
Yes, it lags.

Try dragging a window to the top, and count how long it takes for it to actually maximize. There is at least a full second delay. I need it to be instant.

ittakes less than a second in my black old macbook.anyways thats the only app that can do what u want

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Yes, it lags.

So let me understand this. You asked for a way to get double tap to work, and were given a good suggestion, and then you start complaining about a totally different, unrelated feature? Just turn off the window snapping if it is bothering you so much, or even better just turn off the animation. That way it will be "instant" like you want it.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Yes, it lags.

Works fine for me. Learn how to use Mac and how about not trying to force it to be some ****** HP laptop.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
@Stevelam, please read before posting non-sense....I am after certain functionality that speeds up my workflow....My HP laptop which was half the price had it, now my MBP doesn't....

Anyway, doesn't seem like this is possible without installing 3rd party software which is sad because I would have gladly (and easily) made changes via terminal...Hopefully someone will find this thread in the future and post up a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.